Project vulcan

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

subaruguy
First Gear

Project vulcan

Post by subaruguy »

Ive been toying with the idea of a new project I want to turbocharge a 93/95 impreza or 91/94 legacy. Im not sure of the easiest way to do this. #1, get the impreza with a 2.2L engine and buy a turbo kit from this guy: http://www.forcedairtech.com/IMPREZA-RS-2-5.html or I can build my own kit for A lot less But it would be a lot more work to do in the longrun
#2 get a front clip with the ej22t/ej20t engine and all the parts that would make this project easier on me. It would probably cost more but the engine and clutch would be built up and they would be able to handle the power much better. if you guys have any suggestions or ideas for me id like to hear them
Last edited by subaruguy on Mon Apr 07, 2003 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Subaruguy
(a.k.a likestospdalot)I have tickets to prove it
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

Just buy a 90-94 Legacy Turbo...
dollar for dollar its a better deal then upgrading an Impreza.
Mark
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

Well, I already have a 91 legacy turbo. and also I want to build something. I just got this price quote from colorado component rebuilders:
If you require a complete setup, including wiring harness, ECU, turbocharger, intake manifold, exhaust, igniter, pulleys, alternator, etc., the total package should run about $4700 + shipping.
Subaruguy
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Why is it that CCR will never reply to my emails?
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

they replied to my email in about 5 minutes I wasnt expecting to hear from them that fast it kinda scared me!
Subaruguy
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

the biggest thing in making a car fast is the weight. just about the only advantage is that some of the Imprezas are quite a few pounds less than the Legacy. I read that 2.5's turbocharged are quite fast, of course that was probably comparing them to stock form.

If you wanna do a transplant go for the lightest Impreza body you can get, otherwise turbocharge the largest engine (2.5), i don't really agree with how easy these are after reading the technical papers on what they did so our engines could handle the boost. but i guess they have a lot of experience doing them, so....

i prefer hooking up factory turbocharged Impreza or Legacy, unfortunately the latter is all I want to afford right now.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

"A.K.A project usdm liberty rs turbo". well I skrapped all my above ideas and decided on the final project as you can see by its name I am going to switch my legacy turbo into a liberty by purchasing a jdm ej20t and getting the rear bumper, center tail lite section, side skirts.a bigger front lip and all the neccesary badging and hopefully it will be done by next summer ready for all to see. Also do any of you know a good over seas vendor? Im trying to find a good price on a complete motor a lot of the places ive checked out cut all the wires that go to the ecu I dont really want to mess around with to much wiring Thanks
Subaruguy
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

If you want a crazy project check out this post. I plan to undertake this ordeal hopefully in about a year to 18 mo.
viewtopic.php?t=727
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
http://www.nocoastmotorsports.net
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

You should consider that. It'd be a big job, but also a very original car in this hemisphere. There is a twin turbo car on ebay for $3800. Here's a link to it. Ends this afternoon though. Al can get them imported also.
Twin turbo Legacy
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

Damn CCR. They never reply. Im ready to purchase too.

The best project would be a 93 impreza 5 speed with a turbo legacy engine swap. TOTALLY smog legal and very fast.
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

While a twin turbo sequential setup might be nice and rare over here, I'd take a single turbo setup over it for lack of complexity and modification . . . Of course, a PARALLEL twin turbo setup would be nice too!! :shock:
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
Grant
Second Gear

Post by Grant »

My original idea was a 2.2T swap into an 93 Impreza coupe. That car is super light and quick to begin with and can be found for cheap. The one I almost bout was a 2.2 AWD with 107K for $1100. It had a few dents but ran good and was straight. The fun thing about my twin turbo idea is that it uses the Legacy Postal wagon which is right hand drive. All you have to do to become totally smog legal is move to a state that doesn't have restrictions. I plan on moving back to Wyoming in a few years so I won't have any problems with that issue. I would imagine that it could be converted to a parallel turbo, but I like the idea of the sequential turbo because Wyoming tends to be a low speed slow driving state in town and it would be nice to have that extra torque on the low end. I think I saw some upgraded seq. turbo options on an Aussie site once too.
Grant Hughes
Denver, CO
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

Hey guys I need a little help finding the engine for my project. I have done a few searches and emailed a few people but I havent had much luck I might end up buying one of these engines:http://www.ni-mo.com/subaru.htm but the problems with that are the ecu, where could I find a j spec ECU? also will the axles and tranny and the shifter linkage bolt up? WHO has done this swap or something similar? I need to talk to them I have a few questions
Subaruguy
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I really want to get a 00/01 RS coupe with a blown engine and drop my engine in there. then get some fiberglass fender flares. I guess that would be "project 22b" :D . I know the more recent GC8s were a little heavier, but the sexiness and sunroofness really does it for me. 3-400 lbs lighter then my legacy anyways.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Do they make aftermarket 22B style flares for the RS? I know that from the factory the GC8 cars were picked from the production line by STi and had completely new 22B rear quarter panels welded on. The front also got new bulged fenders which are bolted down. I can imagine what genuine Subaru 22B front fenders would cost :shock:

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

There was a guy selling some carbon fiber 22b fender flares for the 98-01 RSs. He was working on them for a while and had a couple orders from people on the I-Club (nasioc). Dunno what happened to that.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IggDawg
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by IggDawg »

I dunno what's going on with that either. I'm subscribed to the thread, so every now and then it pops up with a new blurb or 2. I haven't paid too much attention to it tho since the wife is driving the GC8 now. it's a '97 Impreza L. I'd drop the engine into that if I had the chance. it's black with the beautiful beige interior. the interior is one of the reasons I don't want to do it tho. ugly flat bucket seats, tan interior, no center console on the dash for a gauge cluster, and no sunroof. I bet I could get a 00-01 GC8 shell for a couple thousand with a blown/removed engine.
IggDawg is cool.

-IggDawg

1994 Barcelona Red SVX LSi.
1990 CRX Si (for sale)

I know a little about Subarus.
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

www.nippon-motors.com
You can get a front clip if you like or just the motor. I paid $650 USD for the motor plus shipping. They provide a 180 day warranty.
Best is to get front clip.
2nd. When you get it and before you install it; Replace the valve cover gaskets,
R/cover gasket 13270AA050 X 1 NZ$20.00
13272aa050 x 1 nz$20.00
13293AA001 x 2 nz$11.00
Standard prices from Possum Bourne, Very good service. They had the parts to me before my local dealer could call me back... don@possumbourne.co.nz

Then get all your main seals replaced, they are all availble off the self for cheap.

Put new sparkplugs in. They are expensive but worth it cuz they are a pain later.
You can then go aftermarket ECU which is probable worth the money. If you you want to go with the standard wiring, email me and I will send you the wiring info for converting the North American to JDM ECU and pin-outs.

If you want to get the rest of the bits for the conversion, http://www.legacyparts.co.nz/ is a good source for wrecked RS-RA's

This is all for the RS Liberty from 90-94.

From someone who has done it...
Mark
subaruguy
First Gear

Post by subaruguy »

thanks mark so nippon motors is a alright place to buy from I think I will just go with the factory ecu conversion if a front clip isnt to expensive once again thanks
Subaruguy