95 ej20g into 92 turbo leg

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: 95 ej20g into 92 turbo leg

Post by kimokalihi »

ShorelineScooby wrote:So my newest dilemma! Barcode on the cover starts off ej20gdx1ny and with what I've already researched, this is a forester motor and actually a 20k am I right? Now where does this put me?
Pic of engine?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

Post by ShorelineScooby »

kimokalihi wrote:
ShorelineScooby wrote:So my newest dilemma! Barcode on the cover starts off ej20gdx1ny and with what I've already researched, this is a forester motor and actually a 20k am I right? Now where does this put me?
Pic of engine?
I don't know how to post pictures :/ if you pm me I can email or text the only picture I have! It has the under intake turbo inlet though, and no slanty tmic, not sure how I missed that.
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
92 240sx Vert (Shitbox money-pit drift project)
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Find Kimo's build thread. THAT is what you will want to use as a guide.

The only hard issue is the TPS differences. You ECU needs a proper EJ22 or V1-2 EJ20G ('89-'96) TPS > which requires a EJ22/V1-V2 EJ20G ('89-96) throttlebody > which requires a spacer and a flip to bolt to the "EJ20K" (late EJ20G) "straight turbo inlet" intake manifold.

The intake manifold harness from your EJ22T can be modified to work with your "EJ20K" intake manifold.

I do not recall what Kimo did with the idle air control valve, but I'm sure his build thread will show.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

The IAC plugs right in. I've already been down that path you're headed down, my friend. And Phyrra is right, take a few hours and read through my whole build thread for all the information you need to get that engine running in your car. Same exact engine. EJ20K/G hybrid forester engine. Be careful with boost as it is somewhere around 9:1 compression ratio I'm told and I blew it with like 15lbs of boost. You'll definitely want a wideband oxygen sensor and wideband air/fuel ratio gauge to make sure you aren't running lean and even then (I didn't notice any problems til it blew up) you might still blow it if you run too much boost.

You'll need to make or buy a 1/4" spacer for the throttle body. Which means you need two throttle body gaskets, one for each side and you need to install the throttle body upside down to orient the throttle linkage on the correct side for the manifold. You will be using any 1st gen legacy throttle body you can find from the junkyard or forum. Plenty of other things you need to do as well but just start reading my build thread which is in my signature below. You can PM me with any questions but please read the thread before asking them.

It's a fun engine with that high compression and before I blew the piston rings in one of the cylinders it really had some get up and go.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

You can also find some info in my thread as well, But Kimo's is more detailed.
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Engine 1

Engine 2

Does your engine look most like engine 1 or 2?

Engine 1 (ej20k or forester ej20g) has spark plug wires, and the turbo inlet goes under the manifold, ending up immediately left of the power steering.

Engine 2 (1989-1996 EJ20g) has no spark plug wires due to running individual coilpacks, and turbo inlet is immediately left of the throttle body (it doesn't go underneath the manifold at all).
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

Well before reading all this, my buddy had already done most of this. Used the throttle body, tps and coil from my 22t with a spacer, modified the intake harness for it. Problem we ran into now is the intercooler and the intake, and now ecu. Am I able to run the stock ej22t ecu temporarily like the 20g?
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

mike-tracy wrote:Engine 1

Engine 2

Does your engine look most like engine 1 or 2?

Engine 1 (ej20k or forester ej20g) has spark plug wires, and the turbo inlet goes under the manifold, ending up immediately left of the power steering.

Engine 2 (1989-1996 EJ20g) has no spark plug wires due to running individual coilpacks, and turbo inlet is immediately left of the throttle body (it doesn't go underneath the manifold at all).
It's the first one. Which makes so much more sense why I had so much damn trouble finding all proper fitting parts -____-
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ShorelineScooby wrote:Well before reading all this, my buddy had already done most of this. Used the throttle body, tps and coil from my 22t with a spacer, modified the intake harness for it. Problem we ran into now is the intercooler and the intake, and now ecu. Am I able to run the stock ej22t ecu temporarily like the 20g?
If you don't have all the appropriate sensors the ej22t ECu won't work. You really shouldn't even run the ej20g engine on an ej22t ECU IMO because it'll run super rich.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

Legacy777 wrote:
ShorelineScooby wrote:Well before reading all this, my buddy had already done most of this. Used the throttle body, tps and coil from my 22t with a spacer, modified the intake harness for it. Problem we ran into now is the intercooler and the intake, and now ecu. Am I able to run the stock ej22t ecu temporarily like the 20g?
If you don't have all the appropriate sensors the ej22t ECu won't work. You really shouldn't even run the ej20g engine on an ej22t ECU IMO because it'll run super rich.
Most sensors were swapped over from the 22t for connectivity already. I plan on running power fc, but unfortunately the one I had already purchased was for gc8a since that was the motor I was supposed to be getting, so ej22t ecu is all I have until I can resell and purchase the correct PFC.
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

Anyone happen to know what application of power fc I need to find?
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Swap to an ej20g intake manifold. Then you can use the engine and power fc
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Or, do the stuff kimo and cj mentioned on the 1st page. And still use the FC
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

mike-tracy wrote:Or, do the stuff kimo and cj mentioned on the 1st page. And still use the FC
So the motor is in the car and all wiring hooked up. I had mentioned converting to coil on plug to my buddy to maintain use of my power fc, and he says that I would need a whole new harness in order to make that work. Is this true? It's all wired up for wasted spark right now.
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

No you don't need a new harness but you'll have to add wires for the coils and power and ground or ground them to the bolts.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Ill be doing that to my ej20k swap this summer. Hopefully I remember to document how I do it since I can't find anyone epse who's done it to a car that was originally wasted spark coil pack ignition. I just find a bunch of people who go from ej20g cop to wrx cop but I'm going from ej22t coil pack to wrx cop. Cannot wait!
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

ShorelineScooby wrote:
mike-tracy wrote:Or, do the stuff kimo and cj mentioned on the 1st page. And still use the FC
So the motor is in the car and all wiring hooked up. I had mentioned converting to coil on plug to my buddy to maintain use of my power fc, and he says that I would need a whole new harness in order to make that work. Is this true? It's all wired up for wasted spark right now.
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1192028

This is for an older 4ch EJ20G, but most steps are the same, except you'll have to run new power/signal wires instead of splicig what's there. 4 signal wires straight from the coils to the ECU pins, and you can tap off the existing coil packs power source. Its a really easy modification.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

^ that should help a lot.

Also, need an intercooler. Have a usdm bugeye tmic, ra gc 20g one, and a v5 207 one and none of those seem to work. Need 20k specific tmic? And if so does anyone here have one for deals?
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

06 07 wrx, thats what all the cool kids use. Im interested in the ej20g one, if you wanted to trade or sell it. As it were I have a spare 06 07 wrx tmic. ;)
ShorelineScooby
First Gear

Alright. Not getting spark or fuel. Timing looks good. Can and crank sensors worked just fine when I pulled them from the ej22t. Turbo leg wiring harness and ecu. Modded intake harness slightly for 20g(k) intake manifold. Why it no work.
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Have you verified the pump is priming? Put the ECU in d-check mode which will cycle the relays on and off repeatedly. This will allow you to check whether the fuel pump is turning on or not. If it is, then yeah I'd look at the crank sensor wiring.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ShorelineScooby
First Gear

Legacy777 wrote:Have you verified the pump is priming? Put the ECU in d-check mode which will cycle the relays on and off repeatedly. This will allow you to check whether the fuel pump is turning on or not. If it is, then yeah I'd look at the crank sensor wiring.
D-check mode? I'm kind of a subaretard... Lol
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Read through this page on my site for more info. The d-check mode discussion is the second to last paragraph at the top.

http://www.surrealmirage.com/subaru/engine.html
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

ShorelineScooby
First Gear

Kind of late, but figured i'd get back to this.
Turns out there was ground wire not grounded that was hiding under the intake mani. Got that taken care of and she fired right up. Idles very high, above 2500, massive fuel cuts under wot, and misfires like crazy in higher gears..real snappy in 1st and 2nd though!
06 Obxt (Clam-jam daily)
92 SS (Forever broken)
robertpaige
Fourth Gear

Post by robertpaige »

Nice. I'm sure those things will be sorted out. I am about to put a 20G in my car over summer, so we'll see what happens. Good info on this page.
the guy who had the really low winestone SS on the corvette wheels