My battle with heat...

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

My battle with heat...

Post by DLC »

Josh has seen this, but i think a few of you might find my problems with overheating interesting, or at least an entertaining read (sickos).

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=709693

Hopefully it'll get fixed for good this time...
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

man, that sucks.

Funny how the tech said he hadn't done any third head gasket jobs, considering how many hundreds of EJ25's have blown the original head gaskets, and how easy it is to screw the job up. I find that hard to believe.

I usually figure your chances of blowing a head gasket increase markedly if someone has just replaced the head gaskets, even at a dealer. Happened to my 89 Audi, it blew 'em again right after I had it repaired at the dealer under warranty and sold it. Made me look like a big dick.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

I wonder if they checked for the heads being warped before they put in the replacement HGs. I have a feeling the previous owner may have driven the car in the "red zone" for a little too long.

This time I would suggest you have the dealer check the heads/block.

It's sad to hear that Subaru hasn't done ANYTHING to remedy the 2.5L HG problem. Sorry to hear about your problems.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

It takes a few seconds to check for warped heads, I know most people don't bother, but it seems stupid not to. The other possibility is a cracked block or heads, but I doubt it.

I had to burp my system several times over the course of a week or so after the engine swap. What I did was open the radiator, fill to the top, and squeeze the hoses top and bottom to get air out.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The local dealer is going to check the heads for warpage and inconsistencies, first thing, then get them shaved and smoothed if they need it.

SOA seems to be a lot more willing to honor warranties and just fix it, rather than placing the blame on the owner, since they're doing financially better as a company.

Because the Tech Rep said that they've not ever seen one go out 3 times means that they probably have a proven system for actually fixing and addressing all of the related problems, and doing it right. Here's to hoping my good feelings about them are right.

Meanwhile, i'll keep saving my pocket change for an engine swap, whatever that may end up being.
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I believe several people on the USMB have done 2.5 HG's 3 times...

How many miles are on it Dave? You kept mentioning the pump, I guess it could be the fins actually worn away if the mileage is high enough...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

97000 miles. A friend's 98 RS had them go at least four times, but the Phase I EJ25 seemed to have a much worse time than the Phase II.
Legacy Central
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

It's not the pump, it's not the thermo, it's not the radiator, it's not any of that, it's the headgaskets.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Again, Hardy? He said they've been done already.

Nevertheless, you should probably have the coolant sniffed/compression checked anyway, just for the peace of mind.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Yes again. They're not going to hold up.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
flammenwurfer
In Neutral

Post by flammenwurfer »

I have an 88 Supra turbo and they have the exact same problem. The headgaskets on these things are shit and virtually every MKIII supra manufactured has blown theirs atleast once.