1998 RS seats in BF Legacy...

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

1998 RS seats in BF Legacy...

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I just got some '98 RS seats installed in my car. They look and feel great, but I've got some issues with the seatbelts. I know there are some of you out there that have added RS seats. What did you guys do with the seatbelts, primarily the female end that attaches to the seat? I just bolted them in, but they rest at a really wierd angle pushing the seatbelt over my thigh rather than my lap. So, what'd you guys do? TIA.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
XeviousR
In Neutral

Post by XeviousR »

I just installed '98 RS seats in my '92 Legacy sedan as well. I am having the same problem. Have you come up with a solution? I haven't experiemented much yet.. but I will in the next couple days.
James Elterman
Nukabe / Cusco Time Attack Impreza
www.ShimmySideways.com
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

My stock seatbelt feels like that somewhat. I don't like it at all.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
XeviousR
In Neutral

Post by XeviousR »

Here's a picture of the problem I'm refering to.

James Elterman
www.ShimmySideways.com
XeviousR
In Neutral

Post by XeviousR »

Although the possition of the female end looks awkward in the picture, its not really all that bad. I expected it to be uncomfortable but it isn't.
James Elterman
www.ShimmySideways.com
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Do you guys ever clear up this problem? Do you find that RS seats sit higher than the legacy turbo drivers seat? Cause my stock drivers seats sits much lower than other legacy's, it feels much sportier. It even sits visably lower than the passenger seat, which isn't height adjustable. I really really need new seats, but I am 6'2" so I don't want to sit any higher.
Much thanks
Micum
Micum
91 Legacy Turbo Sport - 94 JDM EJ20G
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
97 Legacy 2.5 GT (deceased)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

You WILL sit higher. I'm 6'0" and my hair brushes the headliner in the morning when it's standing up. You may have to get custom sliders made if you really need new seats.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
DLC
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by DLC »

The stock Turbo seats are height adjustable, and i used to always have mine set to the lowest setting. The RS seats are taller, but interestingly enough, i had to move my CD-Changer from underneath the seat because it would no longer fit.

My stock seats were hammered though...

Dave
Legacy Central
2001 Legacy Outback Wagon | 2005 OB XT LTD | 1997 Legacy Outback Limited | 1998 Legacy L Wagon | 2000 GT Limited | 93 Legacy Touring Wagon 5MT | 90 Legacy L+
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Damn, I feared that. I really really need new and better seats. BUt I'm 6'2" and like a low driving position. Does anyone know about STI seats or aftermarkets like corbeaus or sparcos? Do they sit higher than stock seats too? I'd even put in a fixed back racing shell if that was the only way I could have better seats and sit low. What is the deal with custom sliders? Could someone explain to me please?
Much thanks
Micum
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

I'd suggest calling some shops around your area and asking if they've got any seats you can sit in. The problem with the factory seats is that they've got all the slider stuff underneath which means you might have a hard time lowering them. Custom sliders or seat brackets allow you to mount a Sparco, or other such aftermarket seat, and use the factory seat holes. They also allow you to retain the ability to slide the seat, as opposed to having it mounted in a fixed place.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

:shock: Shops in my area?!?! are you crazy? I sure wish...know I'm going to cry. :( :oops:
We don't really have too much methinks. I do go to southern new hampshire a couple times a week, its just like an hour from boston, so maybe I could find a place down there. I'll have to check the NESIC new england forum and see if anyone knows a place with nice seats. Or maybe call the company and see where their closest dealers are. Corbeau seems to be the only halfway decent seat I could really afford...and with inflatable lumbar and custom sliding brackets, even that gets up there. But I checked, they don't use adapters or stock sliders, they have a custom one, so hopefully the height would be ok.
Thanks
Micum
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm sort of in the same boat.....I need new seats in the worst way....at least driver's seat. My main issues is the color and height issues.

What I'll probably end up doing is making some custom brackets. All you need is a flat piece of 1/8" steel stock. The sliders and all the crap will stay the same. So the only differenc in height you would need to look at is the seat base(bottom)
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
czo79
Second Gear

Post by czo79 »

Hey Josh,
Would it be possible to breifly explain what is involved in making custom brackets from that 1/8th steel? I know many seat companies sell adapters of custom sliders or whatever with their seats...
thanks
micum
Micum
97 Legacy 2.5 GT - mod'd
93 Impreza L AWD (sold)
98 Legacy Outback (sold)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Well, it depends on the seat, but the seat just bolts to the sliders in four spots. What you would do is take the steel and cut it about the length of the sliders, and drill holes so that you can mount the piece to the sliders. Now you mark the position where the new seat studs go through the metal plate.

I'm sure it's a little more complicated then that......but that's the general idea.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
subyfanatic
In Neutral

Post by subyfanatic »

czo79 wrote:Does anyone know about STI seats or aftermarkets like corbeaus or sparcos? Do they sit higher than stock seats too?
I put '99 WRX seats in my 93 Wagon and they sit slightly lower than my stock seats. They're also black with gray bolster areas so they match nicely with my black rear seat. The only issue you'll have is the fact that your driver seat will actually be the passenger seat because of RHD in Japan. Check on NASIOC for JDM seats if you haven't decided on a set yet.

E
91 BC5 EJ22T Sedan, 93 BF5 EJ22T Wagon, 93 GF EJ20T, 96 GM EJ20T , 93 GC EJ18
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

98 legacy GT seats. Same height, slight mods needed but PERFECT fit once completed.

viewtopic.php?t=1378
mgjs1
First Gear

2000 Legacy Wagon seats in my 1993 Legacy Wagon?

Post by mgjs1 »

I guess I am not sure what year you put your 98GT seats into. So, what do you think about me putting 2000 Legacy Wagon Seats into my 1993 Legacy L Wagon?

They would be a SSSWeeet Upgrade! Leather Buckets and Leather Bench in back. Chances they'll fit??? Seem slim to me, but maybe someone out there has tried it.

Also, if it is a power seat, and my current seats are manual, will the new power adjustments work???

Thanks in advance for all the help for this newbie.
http://www.circlestickers.com