HVAC fan only works on high FIX

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kidwired
First Gear

HVAC fan only works on high FIX

Post by kidwired »

My heater fan was only blowing when set to 4. I looked at the schematics, positions 1, 2, and 3 all go to the switch on the heater box located behind the glovebox. 4 goes directly to the blower fan.
2 screws removed glovebox, 2 screws removed old switch.
Works great now and only took about 15 minutes and $47 for the new switch.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're referring to the blower motor resistor pack located in the evaporator box correct?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I had that happen to my n/a legacy when i started it on a -10 morning. Made a horrible screeching noise, then only 4 would work.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

Legacy777 wrote:You're referring to the blower motor resistor pack located in the evaporator box correct?
affirmative.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

It's also possible to repair the resistor; if you bend back the metal cage you can look for the crack in the coiled wire and solder it back together.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

thats good to know. I didnt do a post mortem on mine, something was rattling around in the cage.