My poor boost gauge...

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

Tleg93
Fifth Gear

My poor boost gauge...

Post by Tleg93 »

It's official, I broke my boost gauge in a fit of clumsiness. :evil: That really just pisses me off at me. It dropped out of the box onto the pavement on the way into the auto parts store, grrrr. Now I'm out fifty bucks and I don't want to shell out more right now for another one. Anyone got a cheap one left over???? :cry:
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

You can still use my OBX. It's not accurate totally though.
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

OBX is off the hiZZl3 fo shiZZl3 y0!

:lol: I had to...
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I tore apart my boost gauge today. It's actually pretty easy and the rumors that there's some elaborate springs that fly out when you open it are complete bunk. What broke on the gauge is a tiny plasitc arm that joins the needle movement to the coil that's deflected by air pressure. It's a simple mechanical connector, bone shaped, that connects two metal arms by a little expansion fitting that goes through holes in the two arms. The fittings on the plastic piece look like the ones that clip the black body screws on the car. If I can find a way to secure the one arm to the other I'm in business. As far as cabibration goes, I don't see how that's accomplished at all.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Are you talking about the piece marked "mechanical linkage" in this diagram?

http://www.engineersedge.com/instrument ... ourdo1.gif

Because I believe that piece is usually the one modified when calibrating a Bourdon tube pressure gauge. You shape it to achieve the gain you want (expensive gauges have an adjustable linkage there). Then you position the needle and/or pinion to get the correct bias.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

Yep, that's the piece. I did manage to get it to go back into the hole and to be set at zero. I have doubts about it working though. I wish I could find somewhere to get that linkage piece.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

boost gauge

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Scott,

I have an OEM WRX/STi boost gauge laying around that reads -.04 MPa at atmospheric pressure. I'm not sure what size gauge you are looking for but I believe the OEM is 1 3/4 in. in diameter. Didn't try breaking into the gauge myself but if you want, I will let this go for cheap. I also have pics, PM me if your interested.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I may have fixed it. The linkage slipped into the hole and I pissed around with it until the needle rested at zero. I have yet to put a known pressure into it but there's a flow control valve at work with a guage on it I'm going to try in a day or two.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Boos gauge installed

Post by Tleg93 »

I installed my damaged gauge and discovered that it is in fact damaged. It reads vaccum but that's it. Oh well, I guess I'll be getting another one.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS
Tleg93
Fifth Gear

Post by Tleg93 »

I realize it seems I'm talking to myself but here goes anyway.

I just said screw it and bought a Phantom series gauge from Autometer. It works fine and I'm in the process of installing the FCD for anyone who might read this.

I'm gonna put my old one in the new box and take it back as a return. Just kidding, it wouldn't work anyway.
--Scott--

1991 - Rio Red SS