plumbing in aftermarket BOV

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

TurboSubie
First Gear

plumbing in aftermarket BOV

Post by TurboSubie »

Where do I do this, tried a search ...this BOV doesn't use a flange to bolt onto an intercooler...I imagine it connects to a hose. HELP!
1994 Aegian Blue Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan. Mean Muggin.

1995 Honda CBR 600 F3 D&D complete system,K&N, few other things..
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

a photo of the actual piece you speak of, as well as a model name and number, would do wonders for your response count.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
TurboSubie
First Gear

Post by TurboSubie »

[/img]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWN%3AIT

my friend bought this then totalled his car...so I recieved it for free! so I figured i'd put it on...if anyone knows how I can do it..haha

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

well, the price is right, anyway (free, not the $96 lol). I've never seen that style BOV before, anybody else recognize it?

Looks to me as though it would be no problem if you are adding an intercooler or have already. It would be rather difficult to plumb in with the stock hard plastic piping. If you've got an IC, however, it looks as though you would just have to tee into one of the lines (preferrably post-intercooler, which is only really possible with a front-mount) and adapt that tee to the BOV's bottom. Then take the nipple on top (heh) and run a hose from that to the intake manifold's reference port (currently hooked to the stock BOV). And you should be gravy.

Most times, however, a BOV will have an adapter flange to mate it to the side of a metal IC pipe coupler, which you can then use in-line with your IC piping. This is a strange one if it has no flange. Usually you're supposed to go to an exhaust shop and have them mount the flange on a piece of pipe for you and you're done.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
TurboSubie
First Gear

Post by TurboSubie »

I was going to use it without an intercooler, any idea on how I would plumb it in that way?

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I love those JDM/Ohio parts.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
TurboSubie
First Gear

Post by TurboSubie »

Yeah, gotta love em...haha...any idea on how I can do this?

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Since you don't really seem to care much about performance, just noises, just drill a hole and stick it in and epoxy it on there.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
TurboSubie
First Gear

Post by TurboSubie »

Um, I kinda want to do it right. I do want perfoirmance...this is just going on as a temp until I can save for my HKS. You seem to know how to hook it up tho...care to explain?

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

So you want an atmospheric BOV, on an otherwise stock car, just to hold you over until you have enough money to buy an even MORE ricerific BOV (I had one, I'm allowed to say it), to toss on the same, stock car?

Seriously, just drill a hole in the turbo->TB pipe and shove it in there. There's no sense in getting elaborate if your not going to do any actual performance increasing modifications. At least IMO.

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Heh... you always make good points, man. :lol:

Seriously, you will end up butchering your stock pipe anyway no matter what you try to do without an intercooler.

Plug the stock valve's output (or remove it and plug the whole stock valve flange), then get a drill or hole saw of the appropriate size (measure the mating end of the BOV), pick a blank place and drill a hole to mount your new BOV. Go to the auto parts store and read the back of all the epoxy / cold weld products, determine which two-part mixture has the highest temperature rating, buy it, mix it and mount the valve. Be sure to rig it with some vice grips or something first to hold it in place so you can apply the epoxy mixture and then let it sit and cure for however long it needs before moving anything or driving your car, especially. Then it should be fine.

Oh, don't forget to connect the small vaccuum hose that was on the stock valve to the top of your shiny new one :)

Rice on. :lol: I love my HKS, and I also kinda hate it sometimes...
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
TurboSubie
First Gear

Post by TurboSubie »

Do you recommend anything to plug the stock valves output.?

I was thinking about using the silocone glue:)...think this would be strong enough?...if not I can always use the permaweld 2 part epoxy...:)

free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I'd recommend finding something solid and rubber-like to plug that hole (cap or insert)... take some measurements and go to Home Depot or somewhere similar and look around with that in mind. I don't think sealants would be strong enough on their own to contain the pressure behind that oriface. Gotta have something to sit in there to seal around, then yes maybe the silicone or epoxy. Just make sure to use only the highest-temperature stuff you can find, whatever you end up using.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
TurboSubie
First Gear

Post by TurboSubie »

Any way to see pics of where the stock valve is located? where is the output of the stock valve?

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

*sigh* I guess I don't understand.

Warp3
First Gear

Post by Warp3 »

TurboSubie wrote:Any way to see pics of where the stock valve is located? where is the output of the stock valve?

Part #16 is the bypass valve. It is located under the turbo to throttle body pipe (there is a 90-degree elbow that sticks out of the underside of the pipe) and recirculates back into the turbo inlet hose. The third connection is to the intake manifold for the vacuum signal.
Shane
2006 Subaru WRX TR
1989 Toyota MR2
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Why not save the money you'll spend on an HKS BOV, and spend it on something that will actually make the car perform better rather than worse?