intermittent A/C

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

sillyp
First Gear

intermittent A/C

Post by sillyp »

When my A/C is on, occationally i hear a click from the glove box area. Sometimes i'll hear 4 clicks within about 2 seconds. Sometimes i can feel it increase the load on the engine a bit. So i figure its the A/C relay clicking.

What could be the source of the problem? should i go ahead and replace the relay? I read something in another thread about a Thermo Control Unit, any thoughts?
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

My Dad is having this exact problem (rapid clicks from glovebox) as well. If he puts on MaxAC the clicking is reduced considerably. More clicking occurs under load, while accelerating.

Checking under the hood revealed it to be a loud click as the AC clutch engages/disengages repeatedly in rapid succession. The radiator fans also kick on/off rapidly to match (both explain the RPM spikes that accompany the clicks).

I'm also looking to find what this is a symptom of (bad AC clutch?, bad electricals?) so I can help old Dad save some bux (mechanic is telling him, "This is just one of those trial and error jobs...", which sounds to me like a lead-in to a high bill and a bad fix).

Thx in advance.
http://www.circlestickers.com
sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

i'm still observing on my problem, it seems that it does it without the a/c on, but less frequently. perhaps it has more to do with the radiator fan, i dunno, i'll let you know what i learn
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson