CarPC installation

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

CarPC installation

Post by Splinter »

Using one of Via's nano-ITX boards, I think I can put a computer in the armrest.

I'd use the DIN2.5 slot, with a bit of modification, to mount a 7" LCD Touchscreen.

Here's my preliminary idea for the computer location, what do you think?

tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

That's a damn good, and probably damn expensive idea. It's creative, but. . .

I don't like it.

Drivers are already distracted on the road. I'm tired of seeing people on cellphones while driving. It's not a good combo, even hands-free. Using a computer for god-knows-what while your vehicle is in motion is taking driver distractions a step further. If you choose to go ahead and install that, I wish you the best.
I won't feel sorry for you when you run somone over, or ruin lives because you had to have something needless in your car.

That's my safety bit.

I would give mad creativity props, though.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

And another thing:

Did you do the diagram? I don't think you've taken into account that the seatbelt rolls and dealies are directly under the console. Unless you're in Canada, and/or you don't have the automatic belts, the mounting of the power supply would cause you some issues. The wiring seems like it'd be pretty straightforward, though.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

It's going to be used, while driving, strictly as a headunit replacement. I hate CDs, and I want all my music with me while I go driving. I'm using a front end called Road Runner made for CarPCs to make a very straight forward, minimum-attention grabbing interface for changing between albums. I'm also looking into breaking apart a cordless USB gamepad to integrate into the steering wheel to provide tactile next/prev/play/stop/mute buttons.

There are no motorized seatbelts, it's a canadian car.

As for expense:

LCD panel - $400
Motherboard - $150
RAM - $20
HD - $80
PSU - $80
Other bits and pieces - !$60

Not overly expensive. Much less than an Onstar system.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

>$800? I guess that's not too bad, considering the cost of an aftermarket onstar. But does it have the same capabilities? I suppose with the dvd you could load navmaps. . .
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

It'll have WiFi, with a high-gain external antenna. Not sure where I'll mount that. Probably on the roof, tho it'll look quite unusual.

At least being a white car, it'll match ;)

I'll probably pick up a GPS modual down the road aswell.

I can grab a copy of MS Streets and Maps for navigation, I can watch movies while the car is parked, if I am so inclined, the stereo is going to be absolutely insane (35gigs of MP3s), that alone is worth $900 to me. And if I ever grab an upgraded ECU with OBDII support, I can do all kinds of engine management stuff with it

There are all kinds of other little fringe benefits too, things that wouldnt be worth installing a computer to do, but can be done.

Put a webcam in the rear bumper for a backup camera, for instance.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

THere's also just the plain coolness factor.
sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

splinter, i think it sounds like a great idea. So many uses. I'd love to have a computer in my work truck, i could type up and print out bids and invoices for customers. Could store loads of information, etc.

oh no, a safety guy. i think its rediculous to give him a safety talk. Its up the to the individual to be safe. As far as cell phones while driving. I run a business where I'm on the road a lot and I loose business when i miss calls. Unnecessary calls should certainly be kept to a minimum. I found a study that said the number of drivers using cell phones at any particular moment during daylight hours is 8 percent? Wow, i certainly dont spend 8% of my driving hours on the phone. Sounds like a lot of unnecessary calls to me.
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

I'd like to make that the last thread about cellphones in this thread, we can resurrect an old one to talk about that, but lets keep this on topic :P

Yea definately. Especially with WiFi capability, with public hotspots widely availible (If you dont secure your network, I assume you dont mind me checking my mail on it), there are tons of things you can do with it.

The number of times I've needed to check an email or look up something while on the road...
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

That's ingenius. Had i thought of using that area I would've done this a while back. Let's know how it turns out!
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Is that DVD player shockproofed?

Is there a hard drive? WIll that need to be shockproofed too?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

DVD player will not be shockproofed. I will probably mount it on sorbothane pads, but that's it.

They're cheap enough not to be overly concerned.

The HD will definately be shockproofed. I havent decided exactly how and where and what. I may go with a laptop (specifically Momentus) drive, since they are sturdier and smaller. They're also significantly more expensive.

I may however choose to mount a regular harddrive in an elastic suspension under the passenger seat
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Won't the DVD drive skip every time you go over a bump, then?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

It should buffer at least 10 seconds ahead

But, I wont be watching DVDs while I drive anyway
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Ah. I was thinking MP3s would be on the DVD disc.
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Naw.

MP3s will be on the HD, I'll update them at home over WiFi
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

He could just store them on the hard drive.

That's really slick. I just wish I could find a reasonably priced navi unit.......
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

I might have to change my plan a little, It's not quite as sexy, but it'll APPEAR the same.

All the small parts (Laptop HD, miniITX board, slim DVD) are priced at a premium. What I think I'm gonna do is install a box with a full ATX board under the passenger seat, and run wiring up into the armrest and the center console from there. There will be a USB hub in both locations, with a couple ports. The slotload DVD will remain where it is in the picture, with the cabling running down through the armrest under the passenger seat. All the various status lights and power switches will be in the armrest, all that will be under the seat is the power supply, the motherboard and the suspension-mounted hard drive.
Manarius
Fourth Gear

Post by Manarius »

You'll have to find a case to fit the ATX board....it's rather large (approx 12"x12"). I would recommend a rackserver case because they're nice and flat. However, if you're going to get an ATX power supply, you're going to have to make it within about 5 inches of the board simply because the stock ATX cables are very short.

Doing the wiring for that is going to be a pia. You'll have to lengthen the power switch and reset switch cables as well as getting lengthy IDE cables to compensate for you moving the mobo to under the seat.

As for the hard drive mount...don't worry about it. I've shaken my laptop and it hasn't stopped before. Just screw it to the frame and you'll be all set. The DVD-ROM, like you said before, should have some sort of pad to lessen the stress on it. I know you can pick up a black faced one on newegg for ~$17 to the door.

I think the only real true task is going to be trying to run wire from the case to the LCD screen you want. SVGA cable is rather thick and will require a lot of hiding (maybe tucked up under the plastic in the console).
Manarius wrote:The Neo-Cons would call me a defeatist. I'd call me a realist. I'm realistically saying that a snowball has better chances in the blazes of hell than democracy has in Iraq.
1995 Polo Green Subaru SVX (189k miles - 08/2007-Present)
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

My MP3 player HD failed within weeks of being used in the car. Besides, full size HD's are a lot less sturdy than laptop drives.

I dont think I'll need a longer IDE cable, they're 20 inches as it is. I wont be using a standard ATX PSU either, it's a rather small one.

The case is probably gonna be a regular aluminum ATX case with some major tinsnippage done to it. I'll probably carpet it once its done, tho it'll be almost unnoticeable under the seat.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

He's gonna use MS streets and trips for maps? :roll: You've got the internet, pal --Google Maps, or better yet, if your connection allows --Google Earth! See things WHILE you see things!
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[/quote]
Splinter
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by Splinter »

Yea, but the internet only works in WiFi hotspots

It's fine for when youre in one, but a backup is nice just in case.
corsair
Third Gear

Post by corsair »

Are you going to use an inverter and power a standard AC-DC power supply or are you going to go DC-DC?

Also I'll 2nd the use of a rackmount 1U sized case, you can generally find them dirt cheap in surplus auctions or whatever. Why throw a perfectly good case to the shears?

Also. there are specially designed carputer cases that include a power supply starting around $70 bucks, worth a look IMHO.

In Streets and Trips defense I just took a near week long road trip with my father navigating solely with Streets and Trips to all the colleges I visited, worked flawlessly.
Sam
'93 L AWD Wagon
'08 Honda Civic Si Sedan
mgjs1
First Gear

Post by mgjs1 »

Or, you could get one of these...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 4?v=glance

I got one at www.woot.com for $100 with wireless included and am waiting to install.
http://www.circlestickers.com
sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

mgjs1, that this looks Neato

why not micro ATX?
and why would you carpet a nice aluminum case, wouldn't that hinder its cooling characteristics?
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson