STi exhaust

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

ferrari494
Second Gear

STi exhaust

Post by ferrari494 »

Just put the full exhaust off a 2005 STi onto my Legacy Turbo...awesome hands down awesome, little more sound, but nothing ricey about it, couldn't be happier!

The little STi stamp on the tip makes the car look sick too :lol:
'93 Subaru Legacy Turbo Sedan, 5mt
irishsetter
First Gear

Post by irishsetter »

Was a lot of work to get it in?
gt2.5turbo
Second Gear

Post by gt2.5turbo »

yes please elaborate a little on the work required for this
93 White Legacy Turbo Wagon: For Sale-ish
93 White Turbo Sedan: soon with a little more umf
91, funky brown purple gray color, legacy L Wagon: the "its so cheap i cant not pass it up" purchase to get me around when the others are down
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

full exhaust or turbo-back? It should be the same install as any wrx exhaust, just stainless steel instead of the wrex's mild steel tubing, same dia. and mounting points too, iirc.
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

It should be the same as the stuff he took off, just 12 years newer, different muffler and larger resonator, oh and slightly shorter.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
ferrari494
Second Gear

Post by ferrari494 »

i've been too busy with work to do this myself in my garage with jack stands and zero welding equipment...so i took it to frantic four in tacoma(people I bought the car from) and they put it on.

yes the STi exhaust is too short so they had to put in an extension, apparently this one was difficult due to the location of either the o2 sensor or some connection...they had to make two smaller pipe extensions instead of only one slightly longer one needed to put on a WRX exhaust.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

Big ups to Frantic Four!
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

THAWA wrote:Big ups to Frantic Four!
Hell yes!
I was there when poor Keith was trying to weld it. Don't let mr ferrari here fool you into thinking it was pie. It wasn't. Mounting points were different, from what I was told, in addition to having to add an 02 bung, and a slew of other details. Maybe Mr. Soul needs to get in on this one, it was his story, after all.
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
ferrari494
Second Gear

Post by ferrari494 »

whooooaaa i never said it was pie...I definitly give major ups to Frantic Four, those guys are awesome and always willing to lend a hand.

I don't think I could ever be able to own my car and do all the work on it that I do without being able to consult them for their advice and occasional...ok, frequent use of parts/tools

I know that exhaust was a major job and keith did an amazing job on it!
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Cool!

I'm guessing the install was pretty similar to mine, since mine was an aftermarket exhaust for an STI:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=23012
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
Natoe
First Gear

Post by Natoe »

btw the sti exhaust isnt the same diameter as the wrx, wrx=2.25 sti=2.5 AND the STi emblem on the tip hehe
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

I just measured an STI exhaust the other day, and I got an ID of 2.25.

It does sound nice, good low end rumble like a BMW, but prolly robbed 20hp from my car. :???:
rallysam
Fourth Gear

Post by rallysam »

Why would it rob that much power?
'00 Impr RS - sold
'91 Legacy Turbo 5MT - mothballed
13psi, TurboXS TBE, WRX IC, Hallman MBC, TurboXS FCD, KYB AGX, Phil's STI seat, SPT short shifter, David Carter hood, Zeitronix widebandO2, Kuhmo rally tires, STI IC spray, thanks:gearboxtech.com
206er
Fifth Gear

Post by 206er »

maybe because 2.25" is a little small for a turbo car?
sorry to bump this old thread but I too have a line on a STi system.
are the stock exhausts actually stainless steel? that may be a deal breaker as I have never MIG'd stainless and would rather not buy a whole spool for one exhaust.
STi exhaust sounds like it will work pretty well diameter wise on an NA. any estimates on what the STi muffler would sound like with no cats? on one hand a loud exhaust will sound great but a quiet one is so stealthy.
just read rallysams install thread, great pics and description of the mods needed.
1994 Touring Wagon: ruby mica, 5mt swapped
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

you can use your mild steel wire to weld to stainless, it just takes a little more heat and obviously the welds could rust. I do it all the time as switching spools is just a PIA. If it's exhasut I usualy either spray some stove paint over the weld of rub some grease on it (after the grease burns off it makes a nice rust barrier).
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]