Help with basic turbo mods for racing

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

toomuch
Second Gear

Help with basic turbo mods for racing

Post by toomuch »

OK-I'm re-posting this since my other posting is going uncontrollably off-topic. If you are a moderator, please feel free to delete the other thread. If you reply to this post, please keep it on topic or don't bother. If I want any unsolicted advice, the subject line will read "unsolicted advice wanted"

'91 turbo Legacy.

I read all the posts back to 2003 and got a ton of good info BUT the car I'm modifying needs to be legal for P/GT rally racing class which means limited mods. I'm looking for help on squeezing the most power and torque that I can.

I Have a low mileage tubo shortblock, I'm thinking of balancing? Can this be done without a full rebuild? What else?

The heads I have are high mileage so a ful rebuil is in order. What should I do to the heads and what parts? 3/4/5 angle grind? Special valves/springs/retainers? Porting and/or port matching? Combustion chamber matching? What else?

Can anything be done to a stock turbo like porting? Or? I'm required to run a 32mm restrictor at the inlet to the turbo. Is there any tricks to nurse extra performance in light of this?

Intake? sensors? TB?

The air box and piping must remain stock

Boost is free (would like to keep this within reason for reliability/longevity reasons) and piggy back ECU's are allowed. What's resonable for boost with stock injestors? Any advice on piggy back systems? Any body in the NW that wil do the tuning work? Jake?

Any other ideas? Looking for any performance I can find.

Any and all help is appreciated.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

I don't think the other thread is going to terribly far off topic at all. I'd much rather prefer to lock this and continue on the other thread. Tell us WHY you NEED more power (Barrett didn't need more power when HE was driving the car) and i'm sure you'll get a response there.
-Jason Grahn