Primitive Rear Skid Plate

Got a new part? Is it the best thing you've ever seen? Is it a complete ripoff? Let us know about your parts and service.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Primitive Rear Skid Plate

Post by AWD_addict »

Well it didn't quite bolt on to the BF. I milled out the 4 horizontal mounting holes a little, since the adjustment range they offer went the wrong direction (rearward). Not a big deal at all.
Now my legacy has its 15th birthday present!

Haven't tested it out yet, but seems pretty sturdy.
90 L+ wgn
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Approximately how much did you have to adjust the holes to fit?
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Probably less than a cm. The mounting bolts are wider than the area I removed.
90 L+ wgn
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Thanks. I have one on the shelf but have not attempted the installation yet.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

No problem. If you don't have a milling machine, a file would work. It'll just take a while.
90 L+ wgn
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

Update: I just finished installing a Primitive Rear Skid Plate, or Rear Differential Protector, on my 91 Sport Sedan. It fits just fine, with no drilling, milling, or filing required.

The two vertical slots in the rear of skid plate are designed to be "clamped" between the differential housing and the rear mounting bracket. AWD_addict must not have placed the skid plate directly against the differential, but instead he must have placed it behind the diff. mounting bracket, just in front of the cross member. This would account for the misalignment of the side bolts towards the front.

With the skid plate properly placed at the rear of the diff. the holes line up just fine.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

AWD_addict did place the skid plate against the diff. He also spend a lot of time under the car trying to fit that thing on there before taking sharp tools to a new part. Measure twice, cut once.
If I had placed it the way described by ultrasonic, it would have required more than a mounting bolt's width of area to be removed.

I think the difference could be attributed to my car not being in perfect shape. The diff. now has a slow leak and all the rubber suspension bits back there look pretty bad. Maybe some things have shifted position.
Maybe your LSD has something to do with it? Could my 4.111 non-LSD be mounted slightly differently than your 3.9?
90 L+ wgn
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

just a little FYI for anyone who wants to put one of these on ... on a rally car, it's awesome, on any car without a fuel cell... it's pointless. your rear diff is one of the last things under the car you're going to have to worry about in the rear. if you hit something big enough to dammage the rear diff, you fuel tank is toast... ask me how I know.

if you get into the type sistuation where you're worried about your rear diff... just be prepaired
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
Psychoreo
Second Gear

Post by Psychoreo »

sammydafish wrote:just a little FYI for anyone who wants to put one of these on ... on a rally car, it's awesome, on any car without a fuel cell... it's pointless. your rear diff is one of the last things under the car you're going to have to worry about in the rear. if you hit something big enough to dammage the rear diff, you fuel tank is toast... ask me how I know.

if you get into the type sistuation where you're worried about your rear diff... just be prepaired
how do you know sammy? me-> :smt021 <-sammydafish
this sounds like a fun story
stupid electrical work...
sammydafish
Third Gear

Post by sammydafish »

imagine going on this route about 4 times faster. It goes about another half mile or so before it loops around. That's my scoob at the end, took out the sidewall and rolled the tire off the rim. Additional damage is that the exhaust is about an inch or so higher, the dump pipe from my wasegate ripped off. Oh, and the giant dent in my fuel tank (can't belive it doesn't leak). I'm building skid plates before I go up there again. Next time during the daylight and with better tires. We'll take awesome vids then. There are much cooler videos of this time, I'll post them up when I rip them off the DV camera. This vid was taken with my little kodak still camera.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 0469558531
- Junior
90L Wagon EJ22E on Toyota CT-26 boost -- Crushed!
95L Wagon on T3/T4 boost :)
www.trdsupra.com [b][url=http://trdsupra.com/library/forsale/]Cheap parts![/url][/b][quote="Imprezive"]alright, I give up, I'm going to NASIOC...[/quote]
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

Looks like a fun road. Was your damage caused by bottoming out after losing the tire?
sammydafish wrote:just a little FYI for anyone who wants to put one of these on ... on a rally car, it's awesome, on any car without a fuel cell... it's pointless.
If so, why are you putting them on before you go back?
90 L+ wgn