Careful guys! Cam seal falling out

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

mhrallyteam
First Gear

Careful guys! Cam seal falling out

Post by mhrallyteam »

I was cruising on the highway, to make a long story short, and noticed a loud valve lifter noise. Than i saw my oil pressure gauge fall to 20psi. So i knew i was out of oil. Luckily i was near an exit and parked the car.

The goddamn camshaft seal was gone. It's the black cover that goes over the cam on the driver side head, aft of the engine. It is press fit, so if you guys have a high mileage engine check this out. I used a metal plate and an unused threaded hole on the head to secured the cam seal in place. It would suck to blow up an engine for something has stupid as that.
92 l swapped to ej22T with 2.0T shortblock
4.111 manual 2.5RS tranny, sti eng mount, wrx I/C, MBC, WRX turboback exhaust, WRX front seats, STI rad cap, WRX specR1 struts, Eibach springs , leg turbo front brake, WRX rear brake.
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

IIRC, there should be a metal place and bolt securing that in the first place. :(
-Jason Grahn
Kelly
Fourth Gear

Post by Kelly »

Also, cam seals poping out are a sign of excessive blow by. Holes in pistons, dead rings, etc.
mhrallyteam
First Gear

Post by mhrallyteam »

I measured the seal, compared to a brand new one, and it was 4 thousand of an inch smaller due to wear, and the engine was real hot in -20C weather

I have a low mileage wrx block, so i doubt i have ant blow-by, yet...
92 l swapped to ej22T with 2.0T shortblock
4.111 manual 2.5RS tranny, sti eng mount, wrx I/C, MBC, WRX turboback exhaust, WRX front seats, STI rad cap, WRX specR1 struts, Eibach springs , leg turbo front brake, WRX rear brake.