Normal performance??

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Bheinen74
Fourth Gear

Post by Bheinen74 »

Feb 1991 Motor Trend, Legacy Sport Sedan Vs. Mistubishi Galant VR-4:

Legacy Sport 5spd test:
0-30 2.1
0-40 4.1
0-50 5.9
0-60 8.5
0-70 11.2
0-80 14.3
standing 1/4 16.0 @84.7
0.82 g

I would imagine the test car was not really broke in either, so one should expect it to get a little faster with break in.

121 was done real easy in my wagon, it was fast to get there and had lots more left. I shut it down, and the RPMS werent barely but 4,000. automatic though
91 Legacy Sport Sedan 4eat
91crx si 165k
91 Civic RT4WD manual trans 168k
91crx Si 40.5k
85 BRAT Gl 140
97 SVX 74k
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Subawhat

Hum a few bars from "Amazing Grace" and you will no longer be "lost" but will soon be "found" :D
Subtle (normally aspirated engines suck):
05 Legacy GT Wagon with Cobb chip.
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
93 Leg Twgn fmic, vf34, etc. ((sold))
ej2294legacySS
In Neutral

Post by ej2294legacySS »

:( I live in the states, wisconsin. For ME i am not used to 200 plus horse power! Help or hinder, the mods i have done let it have more throttle response thats all i am after. To flame me for having SS in my title is understandable. I thought it stood for the 2wd sport model, known as the "Sun Sport", as there is 4 sport models in the 1st gen. Including the Alpine, Outback, and GT sport models.

Simple mistake on my part, I was beginning to think there was alotta 2wd models! LOL

The performance of my car is much greater than a 4AF/G toyota engines. So give me a break guys, this subaru is quick as you put it but to me its a riot to put down the speedo into the blank spot at the end.

It is MPH, and this is my second Sun Sport model and both were 94 years with 140mph top marked speed.

Thank you all for setting me strait on my terminology of these beutiful cars.

Sorry for my stupid post on 0-60's but i am really suprised at how people ignore such an amazing line up of vehicles.

thanks again

ben
SS does NOT stand for Sun Sport, oops.
ej2294legacySS
In Neutral

Post by ej2294legacySS »

For ME i am not used to 200 plus horse power!
/\

I know my subie is only about 120hp at the wheels anyway, no need to flame for that comment there!
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

*lowers and shakes head*, Son, if you're going to drive a Subie, the NA had 130hp and 140 ft-lb ;).

Edit: That's at the crank so I'd say around 105hp at the wheels.
Last edited by skid542 on Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

Post by subawhatsubawho »

Do you know Wiscon_Mark? His is a chedda head too.

If you really want to know what your car is capable take it to the dyno. After that take it to the track.

This is the only real way. You could also try one of those G-tech things. (I think it is called G-tech...I could be wrong)

"Amazing Grace....how sweet the sound. I once was lost but now I'm found."
1991 Legacy BJ L 5MT AWD 189K Paid $100 STOLEN 2/13/06
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You don't have 120whp.

I'd bet its an RCH under 110whp at best.

And yes. A Legacy CAN drift.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

:D --looks like we are singing from the same hymn book--wow

Ben---where is "where it snows a LOT"?

Subawhat---which is the "worst state in the USA"
62 Alfa Romeo Spider- had a 1.6 L with 80 hp, now 2 L with 160 torque. Curb weight 2050 lbs.
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

FLORIDA!!! IT sucks major arse!!

I would give anything to be back in my Rocky Mountain home. Colorado that is. Lakewood to be exact. My heart is near the corner of 285 and Wadsworth.
ej2294legacySS
In Neutral

Post by ej2294legacySS »

:x Geeze man chill out! I was guessing the HP, give me a break. At the moment i am in Harmony Grove. I feel like i am being put on trial by asking a question on the internet. :? Why correct everything to an exact figure?

My 84 corolla, yeah yeah it was an ae86 chassis, (i by no means am a "DRIFTER". i just enjoy 20+mpg and a 0-60 in under 10 seconds). This car was 120whp, on the dyno in madison at "dyno tuned performance", personally would only go there for the dyno. But in all it was no where near the "delivery" of the ej22's said 105whp. Now i am questioning my 13 years as a hardcore enthusiast of tuned performance.

Anyone have a DYNO SHEET on a stock ej22???? now i am wondering what it really is.

What a lame concept, loosing 35 pound feet of torque from teh driveline in a 2wd? ouch
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You said it was also an automatic, right? I'd say you probably lost around 20hp through the drivetrain. Sounds reasonable.

STi's lose 40hp through the drivetrain.

How old are you?

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
ej2294legacySS
In Neutral

Post by ej2294legacySS »

i am 21, wrenching for 8 years. 5mt model.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

You might lose slightly less due to the MT, but the age of the car, mileage, and the "mods" you've done have surely hurt the cars performance.

The only way to know how much power your car makes, is to go to a dyno and see for yourself. Obviously those numbers are open to interpretation, but it'll give you a ROUGH estimate.

ej2294legacySS
In Neutral

Post by ej2294legacySS »

forget it lock the thread and move the FvK on already, i am WRONG I dont know my crank from my cam, i get it already. :evil:
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Sorry if I came off hostile. I didn't mean to. I was trying to give you correct information. The way I see it, the more informed you are the better off you'll be.

As everyone else has pointed out. The Legacy is an ample performer. It's quicker than most 4cyl sedans of it's day, and the EJ22 has been shown to be a nearly bulletproof (but not Doug-proof) motor.

I'm not saying your wrong, just misinformed. I was simply trying to help you out. I do have a tendency to come off like a jackass though.

ej2294legacySS
In Neutral

Post by ej2294legacySS »

Its no deal to me, i dont mind, i come off as a know it all to most people so i understand what your saying. I Just wanted to know if my AE92 corolla sedan was an above average performer giving the subaru a run for its money in 0-60. I had no intention of making a thread that was into the WHP of the legacy's and surely did not want to be flamed about my stupid knowledge that is wrong anyway.

I guess i was hoping for someone to set me right about this subaru performance. They did and then some. No biggie, dont worry about it i can live through a couple harsh posts about my knowledge.

In the town i live in i am the go-to guy about car trouble and this and that. So i get a little cocky so its ok to bring me back to reality.

Cheers!

Ben :wink:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

ej2294legacySS wrote:Anyone have a DYNO SHEET on a stock ej22???? now i am wondering what it really is.
Here's my n/a dyno sheet. It's not stock, and I think the numbers are a little inflated due to the particular type of dyno.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com:8 ... cydyno.jpg

If you search, I've got a thread where I posted this originally, and I mention what mods I have.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

ej2294legacySS wrote:forget it lock the thread and move the FvK on already, i am WRONG I dont know my crank from my cam, i get it already. :evil:
don't get too paranoid, most of these guys are just trying to be helpful.

Welcome my fellow Wisconsinite :)

You should also check out the site in my sig ;)

At the wheels, you probably have 115whp or something like that, considering you have a FWD model (I am interpreting that correctly?).

Don't worry about BAC5.2, he's harmless ;)
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)
Subtle
Third Gear

Post by Subtle »

Ben

You are dedicated--welcome !

Keep in mind that any increase in performance is worth attempting, and that the effect of any increase is only good for a month or so.

Keeps some of us moding cars "forever" :D
subawhatsubawho
Fourth Gear

There are very few people on this board that I would trust my car to. BAC5.2 is one of them. This is the man to turn to if you ever need tranny answers.

Blackbart and skid would rip my car apart and sell it for parts

Doug and Matt Monson would try and put some hybrid turbo/SC in my car with a Freightliner intercooler stuck to the roof.

Legacy777 and Tristan (ricer) would put turbos in as well but it would be stock looking and clean.

Wiscon_Mark would put a fondue pot on my intake and put a sticker on the back that said "Chedda head customs" or "Vegies RULE."

Laurel would probably try to make some fancy food on the intake as well. Pumpkin flavored Rice Crispy treats or some shit. Then Art would roll up and take her and the food away.

Some of the other guys would use it for off-roading.

WHILE THE LURKERS LOOKED ON IN AWE!!
ej2294legacySS
In Neutral

Post by ej2294legacySS »

The mods list is embarrasing for me. I can tell you guys what it is but its a matter of personal impression i guess. I mod my car to reflect my desire for MORE. here is the mods list.

My exaust first off is not just a "slip on" its not a muffler at all. The cat has been removed, the factory exaust up to that point hasn't been touched, but from the cat back its 2.5" flowing straitto the bumper. Yeah, no curves that are harsh atleast.

The intake "Filter" is located in the fender through the hole the factory air box pulls through. About 14 inches from the MAF.

The suspension is something none of you should question. My experience in suspension work/modding has yeilded the best and most useful knowledge i have invested in my subaru.

The front is an OEM strut with a non adjustable 450lb. per inch spring that measures 5.3" unsprung. With load it gives a 1/2" lowering on the front of my car. Also a fabricated Strut/Chassis brace.

The rear is OEM all the way.

Yea, yeah, some of you are asking yourself WTF?? Well here it is, the wheel and tire is the key to the handling. 205/60-14 front, 185/65-14 rear, both inflate to the exact same rotation diameter.

The car had a tendency to be floaty on small bumps, now it clears them like a well tuned machine.

I have been in some sick situations that would have provided some awful crashes but with the "nuetral" handling, despite the massive springs in the front it can go under-grip-over steer at the calling of the controls. also the fact it stays flat in 1st/2nd gear corners make it a corolla killer.

OK this is bothering me so i will clear it up.

I have owned alotta toyota's from 18R carb engine trucks, all the way to a 5mge Supra.

None of them felt as strong and clean as the subaru in power delivery. Just because my car is faster than a corolla doesn't dictate its performance to be FAST, it just means its a quick car to me. I have had some fast and not so fast cars and this subie is just great.

The plan from the get-go for this subaru legacy is to "experiment" With forced induction. Before the blow torches come out hear me on this point, I in no way do i think i am gonna "slap on" a turbo or SC unit to my N/A EJ22, this is all an idea at this point.

Thanks for all the replies!

ben

Wisconsin Rules for twistys if you know where to go for them!

I have over 30 hours of touge runs, 1/4 mile, top speed, drifting, burnouts, and any other sensless stuff on video! Where the hell can i get the best of the Vids hosted?

BTW, its stuff i filmed, nothing you have ever seen on the net before.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

So what happened to the exhaust being reduced to 1 5/8" for 12" behind the muffler for more torque?

Your suspension sounds.... interesting... If it works for you, great. Since you aren't interested in hearing it, I won't tell you what I think about it.

dscoobydoo
Fifth Gear

Post by dscoobydoo »

I am curious why the different tire sizes. While I understand in Racing that FWD cars need the larger tire for the grip, on a daily driver, and especially in the north, you may be compromising some handling and traction. That and since you can't rotate your tires, and being only FWD your tire life is much less. I would suggest going to a 15 inch rim for less tire flex, and maybe going to 205/55/15 to keep the speedo the same.
Yes I have too many Subarus
No you can't have one
05 GD-STI
01- RS- Swapped-07 STI
00- GF
93 SS- "the original Robtune" (now in new hands)
ej2294legacySS
In Neutral

Post by ej2294legacySS »

i'm really saving for some 15's, i swear it. Winter is fun sideways! I dont drive too fast so the thin rear promotes some oversteer to balance out the fact i have a really stiff spring setup in the front.

ben
wiscon_mark
Fourth Gear

Post by wiscon_mark »

very true, Wisconsin has some great twisty roads...SW Wisconsin is full of them! :)
[url=http://www.sl-i.net/FORUM/viewtopic.php?t=486]1995 Legacy Outback 5MT[/url]
185,000 miles
www.sl-i.net (for all Legacys!)