Front doors wind noise solved

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nsantos23
First Gear

Front doors wind noise solved

Post by nsantos23 »

Hello everyone,

As you now wind noise by the mirror area is very common in these cars. This past week unfortunately someone broke my sideview mirror, as i went to the junk yard and got the new peice i realized that the triangle where the mirror is screwed in has a square passage for the wire and plug, with time the ruber shrinks and there will be a gap between the mirror and the triangle, and thats why most of us get that wind noise over 40mph inside the car.

Solution!!!
Remove side view mirror by unscrewing the screws behind the plastic triangle on the inside of the door, make sure ou remove the whole door panel for this because there will be one screw behind the panel.

Once you remove the mirror, you'll see the passage (square passage) that looks like a square. seal the edges with silicone or foam (I used foam) or ruber. reassemble mirror, put the triangle cover back in and door panel.

Now you should not have any wind noise,

It worked for me!

Good Luck

Neo
1990 L 2wd 5spd 215K miles
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

hmmm.....wish I would've seen this before I put all the door panels back on from my stereo work.....I may have to give this a try.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacypusher
First Gear

Driver's side wind noise factory bulletin

Post by Legacypusher »

My dealer told me long ago that there was a Service Bulletin about the noise and I have searched for years to find it. Finally, I did. SB # 125692, dated 92/04/06. It says to install part # 62175AA000, a small spacer, inside the mirror gusset, between the bolt and gusset. Looks to me like a little washer would do the same thing, so I'm going to try it. Hope this helps.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I got an easier fix off here somewhere. Put insulated wire in door seal seam above the gusset. I used cable - like from cable TV (forget the real name) that I had left over. Took about 6 to 8 inches on each side. Brings the door rubber seal out enough that it solves the problem with significantly less effort than taking the door apart and adding washers to the gussets (aka the triangle thing that the mirrors attach to) Search here should find the thread...Search "wind noise"...It really works and it is so very easy. Cheers!

Adam West
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

So you stuffed coaxial cable into the rubber door seal above the triangular piece?
Did you attach it with glue or anything?
90 L+ wgn
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

No, go look at it. The trim holds it there by itself. Get a black piece and you can't even see it...Cost 0.00$ Time to do: five mintues...You may have to fiddle with it up and down for optimal fit and wind sound retardation...

Have fun! Enjoy the quiet solitdue and hear the engine again!

Cheers,

Adam
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

I didn't have any spare coax lying around, so I used a short piece of 3/8" line from my sailboat, and will see how it works tomorrow, when I have to make a trip out of town. Passenger side has always been quiet, driver's side always noisy.
Don

'90 L wagon, fwd, 5MT, 156K, purchased new 11/89, and running like a top. What a great car this continues to be.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Legacypusher
First Gear

Post by Legacypusher »

Yes, Josh, that was your idea. Good thinking. 3/8" line was a bit large, but 1/4" worked great installed in the outer fold of the window gasket. Now I just have to figure out how long to make it to fix the whole problem. It's much better, though.
Don

jp233
Second Gear

Post by jp233 »

sweet! I happen to have 8 awg wire, coax, and 1/4" pneumatic tube lying around so it seems I'll be able to hear that flat-4 motor better once I get this wind noise problem solved.

thanks!!!!!!!!
jnorion
Third Gear

Post by jnorion »

Just to add to this, I put a length of wire that covered the entire window, not just next to the mirror, and that made an even bigger difference.
~Joel
1991 Legacy LSi sedan | 1990 Legacy L wagon
91sleeper
In Neutral

Post by 91sleeper »

well if the noise is air comming throught the passage, couldn't you just pop off the triangle cover and put in a little expandable spray foam? i'm gonna try it on my rs and i'll post up tonight how it works.
thefultonhow
Second Gear

Post by thefultonhow »

Okay, I already fixed this problem on my car. I tried the foam and it didn't make any difference whatsoever. What did work was taking off the mirror and the triangle piece and tightly clamping the gusset with a C-clamp in a couple of places for a short time (a minute should be more than enough). I fixed it in January or February and it hasn't really been a problem since.
-- David

1990 Subaru Legacy L+ 4WD Wagon 5MT, white with 66k miles -- SOLD
[url=http://www.g20.net/forum/showthread.php?t=66214]1992 Infiniti G20 5MT[/url], White Sandstone with 175k miles
Soul Shinobi
Second Gear

Post by Soul Shinobi »

I didn't know that https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/ has the spacer part. I'm going to get two, but I really don't understand where to put them. could someone show a pic? I think that would help another who wants to fill the space with anything. Thanks.
-Nick
1992 BC Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT 272,000 - Wish you the best
1998 BK Legacy L Wagon 5MT 234,000 miles - RIP
2002 SF Forester S Wagon 5MT 215,000 miles - Current winter sleigh
1986 FC Mazda RX-7 GXL Coupe 5MT 155,000 miles - Summer cruiser