Subframe lock bolts install = fail

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Subframe lock bolts install = fail

Post by jamal »

Well, today I gave the Whiteline rear subframe lock bolts another try.

This invention helped a lot:

I used it to clean out the dirty and rusty threaded holes in the chassis, and it worked great. I got the passenger side to start threading, and after a bit more work the other side seemed to be going in.

I gradually tightened things down, but the subframe seemed a bit mis-aligned so I backed all the bolts out and wiggled things around and then started tightening things.

Then I did something really retarded.

I was getting impatient and grabbed the impact gun. Neither bolt went far so I backed them out.

And that's the end of that.

I think I'll try the perrin or sti or group N subframe bushings next.
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

lol. I did that with a wheel stud on an 05 outback. I did not make time on that tire changeover.
Kickin' it old-school.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You did loosen up the four main bolts holding the subframe in place, didn't you?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That sucks! At least you learned the hard lesson about impact guns. Probably about the same way most of us have.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

What that they have alot of powa??

Well that sucks.
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Yes. A lack of patience in getting bolts properly threaded into clean holes first strips them quick and hard. I've done it a couple times myself and I'm usually pretty careful. Sometimes it's just the threads have shit in them that causes it as well. It was smart to clean the holes out first regardless of the outcome.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

It was a really weak electric gun. I didn't cross-thread it either. It just stuck on the subframe and stripped the threads.

And yes everything was very loose and well-lubricated.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Oh, I see, the subframe caused the misalignment of the bolt in the hole. That sucks.
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

:lol:

We snapped one of those buggers in my uncle's RS trying to put it in.

I have a set awaiting install in my SS, and I'm not looking forward to it.
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Sounds like you need to run a tap through those threads. You can make one yourself, just cut a couple of reliefs down the threads of another bolt with the same pitch.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
Arctic Assassian
Third Gear

Post by Arctic Assassian »

it's not the threads, its the fact that the geometry of the hole changes as you try to put it in. If the car is on a lift and you have three people, its easy as pie. But life is not so kind sometimes.
Kickin' it old-school.
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I did the same thing when I was swapping my tranny. Used the impact gun on the tranny crossmember bolts. The next bolt I used after I got the threads cleaned broke off so I had to cut off the head, weld it in place, and add a nut on the other end. We learn the hard way I guess.
SUBARUEHS Racing
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I make it a point not to install bolts with impact guns......only use them for disassembly.

I'll use impact guns to take up the slack if I have a long bolt, but like I said, once that's done, I switch over the hand tools.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
farfrumwork
Second Gear

Post by farfrumwork »

I guess I was lucky, as I installed my lock bolts in my old carport in 15min with no hassles.

I didn't chase the threads or lube anything.
It was so painless, I really can't even remember doing it :wink:

sorry about your issues though. Get another set - maybe find some used. They tighten up the rear nicely!
Old - '93 T-Leg - 14.693 @ 92.68 at 5800ft ASL (Bandimere Speedway)
New - 07 Spec B/stg 2

"bloodstains - speed kills -fast cars - cheap thrills -rich girls - fine wine
i've lost my sense - i've lost control - i've lost my mind" Agent Orange
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

yeah I think the threads might still be okay. I'll just find someone who had a similar problem, buy their good bolt, and try it again I guess.
livestrong14
Fourth Gear

Post by livestrong14 »

Hey Jamal, will the PERRIN subframe bushing kit fit our cars?
91 SS -Carbon Bronze Pearl
EJ257/EJ205 Hybrid
Built by NWSS www.simplysubie.com

93 Ford Ranger-DD
91 Rio Red SS- RallyX Project
93 AWD Sedan- FOR SALE!

Sponsors: NWSS, Forced Performance, Surgeline, RalliTEK
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

The lock bolt things will but I don't think the diff bushings do. So it's cheaper to just get the whiteline bolts.

I originally thought they were urethane subframe bushings but they are actually for the diff.

You can get group N subframe to chassis bushings but they're $15 each so it's generally cheaper and easier to get the lock bolts. Assuming you can get them to go in.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Jamal, what's the Whiteline part number on those, I need to order some...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
ericem
Fifth Gear

Post by ericem »

Pardon my lack of reading but um, whats the point of the locking bolts anyway??
1993 Subaru Legacy L AWD Wagon R.I.P
1994 Subaru Legacy SS R.I.P :(
2004 Nissan Titan LE 4X4
2007 Subaru Legacy GT :)
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

The rear subframe is connected to the chassis with rubber bushings. The bolts lock it into place to keep things from shifting around under cornering load.

I guess I could make replacement bushings out of delrin...
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

jamal wrote: I guess I could make replacement bushings out of delrin...
I'd buy some.
SUBARUEHS Racing
jamal
Vendor
Vendor

Post by jamal »

Adam West wrote:Jamal, what's the Whiteline part number on those, I need to order some...
Do I look like a whiteline catalog?

Oh wait, maybe I do.

KCA750 off the top of my head.

Edit: KSB750.

so close.
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

I thought you were "Joe Whiteline" <grin>

Thanks. I thought it was that one but some sites say they are for some version of WRX's only - I knew that was wrong...
93SS 5MT White, TD05-16G, TMIC, 3"Turboback, Magnaflow, Alu Rad, H&R Sports, AGX struts, F/R STBs, Whiteline Sways, ALK+Endlinks, Odyssey 925, AC delete, Evo8 Recaros, Sparco 4p, 3.9 LSD, Hellas+air horns, IPD short throw, 99RSrims, s03's
Adam West
Fourth Gear

Post by Adam West »

Here's another set to consider...Might be a bit more forgiving design?

http://www.groupa.ca/PR_lockingbolts.html
dkopp
First Gear

Re: Subframe lock bolts install = DIY WIN (no fail)

Post by dkopp »

hey kiddies,

i followed this DIY mod last night and had ZERO problems. bolts were just under $16 at Lowes. the thrust flange bearings were reasonably priced at Lowes, but the carriage bolts were about 4x the price compared to McMasters or Boltdepot, but you have to factor in shipping and time. certainly less than you'll pay ordering from from one of the manufacturers.

couple clarifications:

grade 8.8 is the strongest designation i found online for a bolt with a 1.25 fine thread pitch. someone please correct me if they find grade 10.9 in fine thread metric in an M12 bolt of any kind (carriage or hex).

you must, MUST, M U S T, chase the threads before installing, and chase them twice. blow them out in between and spray it down heavily with penetrating liquid or cutting oil propellent. even after chasing threads, it was still very slow in torquing it down. take your time and do it properly. a quick inspection in the pilot hole should show you that the years of use have mostly obliterated the threads. you really are re-cutting them.

my subframe was aligned and i didn't need to loosen anything. just jacked the rear for jack stands and crawled under last night with an LED flashlight. it was probably in the 30's.

result: rear hooks up solidly. a very good $16 mod.

DIY link: NASIOC

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2183600

Install instructions: NASIOC

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1752267

be careful out there, and as always, i assume or accept no responsibility or liability for your actions in modifying your car. please know what you are doing or ask questions. be safe!