Clutchmasters Lightweight Flywheel or Resurface Stock One

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Clutchmasters Lightweight Flywheel or Resurface Stock One

Post by kimokalihi »

I have a WRX clutchmasters lightweight flywheel which I bought and installed a brand new insert (piece that the clutch grips on) and the stock 70K mile forester flywheel.

Problem is, I really want to use my Group A lightweight pulley set. I'm not even sure if the Group A power steering pulley fits this engine because I bought it for my EJ20H twin turbo motor but I don't really care either way. I mainly just want to use the crank pulley. Reason being is because the stock crank pulley is super heavy and is very rusted and nasty.

I've been told it's not a good idea and will cause problems with the engine if I use both the clutchmasters lightweight flywheel and the lightweight Group A pulleys.

So should I try to find a cleaner stock pulley or sand blast my own or something and run the clutchmasters flywheel or should I resurface the stock forester flywheel and use the lightweight crank pulleys?
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

Try to find a used pulley that's in good shape. People take off the stockers all the time so it should not be that hard. I'm not sure which models that part crosses over with but I'm sure you can find one without any work.

Resurfacing Subaru flywheels is pretty much not a good idea. Yes, people have done it, yes it can work, but absolutely every trusted person I've heard discuss the topic says not to do it.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Really? Is it because it's thinner and changes the heat dissipation properties?

Another thing is I noticed the stock flywheel teeth are about 2/3 as thick as the teeth on the CM flywheel. I'm not sure if this will cause a problem or not. Probably not but I replaced the clutch and flywheel on my metro with an exedy clutch and aftermarket "luk" brand flywheel and the start doesn't disengage quick enough ever since. If you don't let off the key instantly when it's starting up the starter grinds. I was worried that the wider teeth might cause this problem on my subaru.

Probably not but it was a thought.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

It was explained to me that the issue is due to the small range of adjustment in the clutch. If you take off just a bit too much, you can end up with a chattering or generally poorly adjusted clutch. My own opinion is that if you think the car is ready for a new clutch, put in a new flywheel as well, even if just for peace of mind.
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk