Cash for Clunkers

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

epicfail
First Gear

Post by epicfail »

People are too fundamentally different to peaceably co-exist.
Probably better that way, though. The world is overpopulated enough as it is.

Cash for cars:
Its all economically driven. I think Dave Ross has explained it the most clearly:
economists point out higher car sales make it easier to sell off the government-owned car companies, because when people buy cars from the companies we bailed out, it makes those companies more valuable, which means we can take the profit from the sale of those valuable companies, and reimburse ourselves for the cost of paying us to buy our cars.
Airgne
Second Gear

Post by Airgne »

it makes me sad to watch some of the videos, but i havent seen a scooby in any of them yet.
1997 Nissan Laurel ClubS25t
2001 Legacy Gt Ltd(167awhp&165.7awtq)Best 00-04 Legacy at WCSS11(West Coast Subaru Show)
1992 Legacy SS(Sold)
1991 Legacy L Wagon(Sold)(400,000+miles and running strong!!)
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

People arent buying american with this program and the government isn't telling us that it is failing to work but dishing out the cash anyway.

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... ub=SciTech

another:
http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08 ... e-numbers/
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

Fuck this shit...a lot of these are perfectly good cars that are going to be replaced with absolute crap
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

555BCTurbo wrote:Fuck this shit...a lot of these are perfectly good cars that are going to be replaced with absolute crap
Couldn't have put it better. This asinine program really pisses me off.
Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
555BCTurbo
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 555BCTurbo »

magicmike wrote:People arent buying american

Yeah...because even when the government gives away money, people are realizing that American stuff is still complete garbage
Nick

1987 Audi 4000CS quattro...soon to be 20VT
1994 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 CTD, #11 plate, 30 psi, Scotty II intake, 4" exhaust
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

people are realizing that American stuff is still complete garbage

But that conflicts with my idea that for the most part we are all retarded.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

gijonas wrote:
people are realizing that American stuff is still complete garbage

But that conflicts with my idea that for the most part we are all retarded.
ROTFL :lol:

I think it's one of those duality rules
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

That video reminds me of the one with a bunch of retards blowing up a Legacy Turbo with Nitrous (or whatever they used). Cash for clunkers is the same thing on a national scale.

If they wanted to sell more cars, they could quietly end warranties and put some of that sodium silicate in the new cars. That'll be the next genius twist in this worthless plan.
90 L+ wgn
fishbone79
Second Gear

Post by fishbone79 »

Cheers,
morgan

1992 Legacy BF
1946 Ford 1.5 Ton Truck (The Beast): http://community.webshots.com/user/fishbone79
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Our fucking gov't needs to be destroyed...

Idiots....all of them.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Legacy777 wrote:Our fucking gov't needs to be destroyed...

Idiots....all of them.
We will have to try and get them when they return from vacation. VACATION! These fuckers go on vacation and shut the whole thing down for 5 weeks. I havent gone on vacation in 7 YEARS!!!
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

9 years, here! I wonder how many good, but undervalued cars are being destroyed (like ours).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

Remember, WE put them there.

Who's the idiots now? LOL
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I didn't put them there.....

I've been thinking about the "destroyed" comment. That may be a little harsh....however for recreation to begin.....something's got to be torn down to its foundation.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

As a note, I just learned from a local junk yard that the cars ARE being broken down for parts, not immediately crushed. Still bullshit that a fine running car's engine was destroyed rather than the car being donated to a woman's shelter or something, but the rest can be reused as any other wreck/discard.

I was also reading, I think it was McCain, that questioned why a similar program wasn't being used for boats or other things. I think getting old polluting toilet boats off the water would be better than a polluting car. They might not usually be run as much, but the pollution of an old 2-stroke outboard per running time far exceeds the likely suspect cars ending up at these dealerships. I suppose then there's the question of what the hell you do with an old fiberglass boat and how many predominately white trash who have these floating toilets just so they can tell people they own a boat could afford to trade it for a new one, incentive or not. Nevertheless, if this was about more than a thinly disguised bailout to the dealerships, those would be valid questions.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

We need more smart people. love the comments here.

waste of cash for society in the long run and waste of resources.

nothing new the more you learn.

until we have more education, we will keep believing that the lies are delicious and contain 100% dv of fiber.
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Seeing lots of car transporters loaded with C4C. The overwhelming majority are Chryslers—mostly mid-nineties and newer Jeep Cherokee/Grand Cherokees and some minivans. The rest are American land yachts of various vintage, mostly old Mercurys and Lincolns and other nineties SUVs from other manufacturers, mostly Mitsubishi, Isuzu, and Nissan. Couple odd old trucks that were obviously well-abused for a long time.

Funny, I think, as it's about what I expected. Ever the optimist that I am, at least we're clearing a bunch of shitty SUVs off the road. Maybe now I'll be able to see to my left once in a while when taking a right at intersections. Corvette and Viper owners must just close their eyes and hit the gas when they want to do the same.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

We've got about 40 clunkers in our back lot right now.

Yeah, there are a few zombie cars back there, but we also have some perfectly good cars, like a 2000 Nissan Xterra that's in great shape...

... and this SC300 in beautiful condition:

The good cars that are being destroyed don't make up for the actual clunkers, IMO.

Also, we haven't blown up a single engine yet, and neither has the other Subaru dealer in town. We haven't gotten paid for any of these cars yet.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
PhyrraM
Fourth Gear

Post by PhyrraM »

DerFahrer wrote:...... We haven't gotten paid for any of these cars yet.
From what I hear, that is the norm everywhere. They implemented the program with almost no set-up or planning for the actual volume of rebates submitted.
'93 Winestone SS Auto, '91 Pearl White SS.
'93 Pure White SS EJ20G slanty intercooled, SIDESWIPED! In stasis.
'94 FWD and '95 AWD Laguna Blue SVXs.
2017 Pure Red BRZ Limited w/Performance pack
Redneck Wolf
First Gear

Post by Redneck Wolf »

I've been reading different things, saying that the 4,500 rebate, is taxed. Looking around the net though, I'm getting mixed results, some saying its not taxed at all, some saying its the dealer being taxed, and some saying its the person purchasing the car that's being taxed.
1993 Ice Blue metallic sedan

1993 silver wagon
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I hope that SC300 isn't a manual transmission. That's the only Lexus I ever found interesting.

I don't think our cars have been taken as they got too high a mileage (going by the over-inflated old system of EPA mileage estimate).
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

No, auto. 5spds are rare, although a friend had one.

It's mostly a Supra underneath, so yeah, it's the only Lexus that actually has some sporting pedigree.

Yeah, our cars were too fuel-efficient. I checked for the hell of it. We supposedly got 20mpg.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

Government can't even give money away without screwing it up somehow. Gotta love it.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
monty's legacy
First Gear

Post by monty's legacy »

Ford Explorers were the most clunkered cars. Also I think it's funny how so many posters in here seem to be anti-obama, when I look at all newer Subies they all seem to be owned by Obama fans. I wonder where the split happened in years?
91 Lsi 180k RIP(3-19-06) Sold for $120
93 L 134ish, Bring on the Snow Baby