(Pre-facelift) New and Improved Hood Scoop Build = Done!

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

(Pre-facelift) New and Improved Hood Scoop Build = Done!

Post by Legacy Rally Guy »

This model is for the pre-facelift... I'm going to do this first, depending on response, I'll make other models..

Old scoop design... *meh.. sorta cool, but not great*

And..

New scoop design...

I figured I'd keep a pic of the latest work here at the intro to grab people's attention...

Front View In Primer:

Before Final Fitment..

After Final Fitment... *ready for last layer of paint, pardon the glossy bits, I've not fully scuffed the first layer*

Ohh.. Ahhh.. NEAR-OEM fitment kicks ass! It's so close I figure, if anyone wanted it to fit any tighter, it'll have to be done by a professional body guy.

See, this is as good as it gets with my hands *it'll be shinier though, as this is one last layer and a buffing from being completely finished...

I know, last year I nearly completed the original design and had a few, "this is just a wind up" comments, so neener neener... I've been honing my mold making and fiberglass skills... And got to a point where my original design was too... "blocky" and JUST function... So I started over, redrawing and reshaping... Now I believe I've got a much better shape *follows the body style AND it provides the same cooling ability with even less turbulance...

I can produce these as a BOLT on, ready to paint *with minimal finishing* that these parts are so much closer to "show" than "race quality" that people usually grade their fiberglass parts.

These CAN be made available in carbon fiber too for the additional cost of the carbon *methods are still the same as the fiberglass in laying up...

Here's the purchase thread:
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... highlight=
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 20 times in total.
1991 Legacy N/A- Being built to withstand zombie apocalypse!
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Okay, I'm back!! I must apologize for the massive delay in returning to this project after my vacation, it seems that on the flight back I picked up swine flu.. Just kidding, I dont know what I picked up, but it was Friday through Wednesday with 102.5'F minimum fever temps, night sweats, swollen gums, sore throat, ear infection, sore joints and dehydration and nearly no food *the level of soreness that made applesauce feel like swallowing acid soaked sand was probably the reason for the dehydration.. lol

Anyway, I'm back to the living and once I pay this ER copay, I'm buying the next step's materials.

but until then I'll be building the final plug for the final mold. I've nearly completed the mold housing and my power drill died.

For the first scoop, I'm sending it along to Frank Finan for letting me borrow his stock Legacy SS scoop for the initial design and so I can have a second opnion on my workmanship, rather than saying, "hey everyone, trust me, they look good!" I'd rather several people have opinions noted on it.
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacNews
First Gear

Post by MacNews »

Hey that looks really good. Are you going to make any post-facelift scoops? If so, would they be straight bolt-on?
1992 Legacy SS -stock
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

MacNews wrote:Hey that looks really good. Are you going to make any post-facelift scoops? If so, would they be straight bolt-on?
Most likely and yes, they'll be a straight bolt on.

Currently I'm saving up money for the silicone mold making material, once I get the scoop all pretty and in final paint, I'll throw up some pics and get cracking on the mold. After that if I can sell a handful of em to justify my current investment/offset the costs some, I'll build the post facelift scoop.

Now if these two scoops provide me with a bit of cashflow, I'm going to work on a COMPLETE flared front fender set/bumper-lip/side-skirt and rear fender flare.

My fiberglass ability is improving significantly, I hope to start into a line of first gen parts! But since this is all a an expense above and beyond my current paying off student bills/debt, it sadly isn't going nearly as quickly as I'd like it to.

I'm also doing research into non-injection urethane parts too, the mold for a scoop alone is like $50,000 for injection molding and the machine/shop time are cost prohibitive on part runs below 100,000, but after tons of research, I found that I can make parts fairly inexpensively if I two a two part urethane and it's just as sturdy, it just takes longer than heat set plastics.
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

I love what you're doing! I hope you sell a ton of those scoops, because I'll be patiently waiting for your post-facelift design. :smt069
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
MacNews
First Gear

Post by MacNews »

SLODRIVE wrote:because I'll be patiently waiting for your post-facelift design. :smt069
+1

Especially if it's a straight bolt-on!
1992 Legacy SS -stock
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

MacNews wrote:
SLODRIVE wrote:because I'll be patiently waiting for your post-facelift design. :smt069
+1

Especially if it's a straight bolt-on!
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Well, a single step at a time.. and I've just made a bit of progress..

I went with a single plaster piece... rather than a two piece mold... There's a seam, but the plaster bonded to the other half so well! I guess lining up the molds wont be so hard.. hehe

Another View

This isn't a perfect mold, but I've fixed most of the little stuff, so it'll just be a few quick sanding sessions on the final Fiberglass scoop positive... and then it's time to order silicone for the production mold!!

And a video clip, pardon my goobness, I'm just so excited to have gotten this far... Video is around 25MB... so Dial-up beware!
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Awesome! Hopefully you can get these out soon! I'd definitely be interested.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

asc_up wrote:Awesome! Hopefully you can get these out soon! I'd definitely be interested.
You bet your ass I'm going to try to get these out as soon as possible and as high quality as possible. I'm going to try to get forty of these out, to offset my cost in building the first run, so I can start on the post face lift group.

I'm hoping to make enough of the first gen pre/post face lift scoops to start on side skirts. I'm thinking I'll just make my own design, instead of copying the JDM skirts.
2004 WRX STi- (GT3076r, 850cc Deatchwerks, Unequal Length Headers, FMIC, Alum Driveshaft, Camber Kit, Daily Driver)
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Your going to NEED to get yourself some of this if you want whatever you cast in that mld to ever come out. Its called PVA or polyvinyl alcohol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_alcohol

Its a releasing agent and you cant do it without it.
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
Xander_X
First Gear

Post by Xander_X »

sign me up for a scoop AND 2 sets of sideskirts woohoo
99 Toyota Celica GT
91 Celica GT-Four All Trac
89 Toyota MR2 Supercharged
2010 Toyota Tacoma SR5 Quad cab
2010 Acura RDX turbo
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

magicmike wrote:Your going to NEED to get yourself some of this if you want whatever you cast in that mld to ever come out. Its called PVA or polyvinyl alcohol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polyvinyl_alcohol

Its a releasing agent and you cant do it without it.
yup, learned that the hard way when I first started! how badly that sucked only getting ONE copy because I destroyed the mold...

I found this great site for sealer/mold release/silicone
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

I got in my stuff in last Monday! For all that I got in these little cans, you'd think it'd not have cost that much! Definitely getting close to taking deposits... All I gotta do now, is be happy with the final scoop design.

plaster sealer
parting wax
silicone mold release

(a shopping list)
Still need to pick up this stuff to finish the last imperfections in final scoop and make the final mold.

Silicone
Gel Coat
More Fiberglass
More Resin
Spot Putty

Build Progress: (Pics coming this evening)

Last night, I went and put two coats of plaster sealer, then applied and buffed the three coats of parting wax.

And then after it was ready, I put on the first layer of fiberglass and went to bed. The final scoops will be laid up with three layers.

(I was going to apply the two other layers, but I was tired! and it was 2am and I was feeling bummed and stressed because my dog hasn't shown up after going missing Sunday and on top of that, my trucks carb rebuild didn't go well, spent two hours messing with the float, trying to get it to work right, turns out the valve that came in the kit wasn't the right one AND after I fixed that by replacing the new one with the old one, the darned thing doesn't want to run right and I found a brass screw sitting there, making fun of me on my work bench. I'm guessing something was forgotten and it's not going to be able to be tuned out.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Oops, I meant pictures- tonight.. yeah, that's it!

I laid up the last two layers of glass tonight, It should be ready for demolding Friday afternoon! YAY

One Layer of itchy...

-----------------------------------------
Three layers...

Once I get the scoop finished and smooth, I can start making you guys some scoops!
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

Here's some Progress for you guys that want to see how the final scoops will turn out...

These two pictures are bare fiberglass with a little bit fo sanding dust here and there... The final scoops will have a gel coat.

Even the underside is fairly smooth! I guess after a year of playing with fiberglass, I'd eventually get better... hehe

And now, in the first layer of primer...
Small imperfections happened in my initial scoop, this will be corrected before I make the final design. (notice the small bubbles on the side edges...)

Now wouldn't this look good on our hoods? Hehe, dont worry, I'm going to take some pictures of it on my car. I've a few details to work out, but it's getting very close to being able to make my final mold... The one which will produce everyone's scoops!

Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

I did some fitting yesterday, when I got some sanding done, that scoop nearly drops right in!

I will post some pictures of it on my car tonight.

Left to do:

1. Fix the small pinholes
2. Tighten up fitment to hood. (build up fiberglass on driver's side edge, it's nearly to my liking, but not yet. The passenger side ended up perfectly fitting)
3. Give it a nice glossy finish
4. Make mounting stud jig
5. Install studs
6. Order Silicone for mold
7. Make mold
8. Make scoops!
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

Good stuff!
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

brand wrote:Good stuff!
And it gets better, when you see it on the car.. Hmm, back on the scoopness....

Here's some pics of it on the car...

This is a shot before some sanding and fitment..

This is after a decent amount of the sanding knocked out... It's the ugliest side of the scoop, see how it doesn't quuuuite fill the entire opening... that's what I'm going to correct..

And another

One more with a dramatic angle...

soobrdad02
First Gear

Post by soobrdad02 »

Holy crap that looks good! Great work man! I've got a '91 wagon that I had been looking to swap to a post-facelift front end, but now I'm thinking the turbo pre front end might be the way to go! I've been toying around with learning to 'glass out of necessity too, the 'skirts and GT-style spoilers are impossible to find in a 1st gen wagon. Keep up the great work! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023
"All four wheels spin? Huh, that's AWD..."

*1991 Legacy wagon, 4EAT, n/a*
*1966 Chevrolet C-10 pick-'em-up*
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

soobrdad02 wrote:Holy crap that looks good! Great work man! I've got a '91 wagon that I had been looking to swap to a post-facelift front end, but now I'm thinking the turbo pre front end might be the way to go! I've been toying around with learning to 'glass out of necessity too, the 'skirts and GT-style spoilers are impossible to find in a 1st gen wagon. Keep up the great work! :smt023 :smt023 :smt023 :smt023
Thank you, and good news for me! I hope to produce these for the forum members. Once I get the last few details sorted out, so it looks very close to factory, I'll be making a ton (I hope) of these...
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacNews
First Gear

Post by MacNews »

Wow that looks beefy, I love it!! :lol:
1992 Legacy SS -stock
BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

Not sure if it's been asked yet, but what is your estimated selling price? Definitely interested since my scoop is already peeling and this would be a nice upgrade (once painted from a shop).

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
Legacy Rally Guy
Third Gear

MacNews wrote:Wow that looks beefy, I love it!! :lol:

YUS.. tis supah sturdiness, and sturdy.. is the only thing worthy for a Subaru hood.. I wanted oldschool and STI blended together.. :P and thanks, I'm really hoping this is met well.. on the local forum, "midwestce.net" I got a few hecklers and one guy was"just buy one off ebay for $30..." I'll have you know, he drives a honda, sure it's a fast honda, he's got tens of thousands of real dollars invested and it's sub- 11 seconds, but meh..
BSOD2600 wrote:Not sure if it's been asked yet, but what is your estimated selling price? Definitely interested since my scoop is already peeling and this would be a nice upgrade (once painted from a shop).

If I've a warm place to lay fiberglass, I can keep it below $150.00 shipped in the U.S.

I'm not sure what I'll do if it gets super cold. I know a few body shops, maybe they'll let me stink up a corner or something... I should be ordering the silicone this coming Friday to make the mold, I've been doing final adjustments to get an OEM fitment on the scoop, and all we need next is the six mounting tabs with either all thread or use a threaded collar... I dont know which of the two I'll do yet, it'll be sturdy though, whichever I come up with.. hehe I did some final left side to right side touch work to today, it's getting to the point, I'm having a hard time not throwing a coat of paint on it and calling it ready to make molds... but just a few slight pinhole and shaping adjustments and it's ready!
Last edited by Legacy Rally Guy on Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

damn that looks pretty good. Definately get some pics up of it on the car when painted and done. do you have any idea how much you'd be asking for them?
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D