Best spark plug wires?

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Best spark plug wires?

Post by Mattheww044 »

Hey guys, I did a search on this, and didn't find the answers I was looking for. But yes, I have learned to search before posting :D.

anyways I am replacing plugs/wires tomorrow as well as a few other maint. items.

So first off, is there a big difference between 7mm and 8mm plug wires? If so, I figure I might as well buy 8mm. I would like to get NGKs if possible but I didnt see any for the EJ22t. Is there another car that I can buy them for that would work for our cars? If not does anyone know where I can get some 8mm?

Thanks
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I have Magnecors and they've lasted a long damn time. The 8mm will be a tighter fit in the clips.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

so do you have the 8mm magnecors or the 7mm? If I end up getting 7mms I'll just get NGKs but its unfortunate they dont make NGK 8mm for our car
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

after doing awhile of research on google, i came across this on a volvo website:

http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=70191

Which led me to the Kingsborne website and came across these wires:

http://www.kingsbornewires.com/product. ... egoryId=65

I think I will give them a try, along with my Diamond coil pack and let you guys know how they work... unless if i can find some 8mm locally tomorrow
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I've got a set of NGKs in good shape. Sell them to you for 20 shipped. Came off an EJ22 NA. They're blue 7mm I think, not sure. Was going to use them on my car but they don't reach (I've got DOHC heads).
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

As long as they're a good wire....it doesn't matter that much. I ran a set of 8mm Magnecor wires for probably 11 years without any problems. I swapped them out for some NGK's to see if they were the cause of a mis I had....which they weren't, so they're probably just fine.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

youve been PMed Kimo, cant afford 50 wires ATM, but i will definately try those out after the NGKs go bad
adema2626
Second Gear

Re: Best spark plug wires?

Post by adema2626 »

Mattheww044 wrote:I would like to get NGKs if possible but I didnt see any for the EJ22t. Is there another car that I can buy them for that would work for our cars?
You can use wires from a 93-95 Subaru Impreza or a legacy. They are the same.
-Aaron
93 Imp wag, 94 Imp wag WRX swap, 99 Imp Sedan WRX swap, 01 Imp Outback Sport, 05 Outback XT, 00 Outback, 98 Outback, 93 Leg touring, 93 Leg wag, 94 Leg wag lifted ej22t swap, 79 Brat 4x4 EA81 4spd d/r swap, 97 Crown Vic lifted
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Just don't get cheap ones at the auto parts places unless you want to replace them every year or so.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Mattheww044 wrote:youve been PMed Kimo, cant afford 50 wires ATM, but i will definately try those out after the NGKs go bad
I doubt the NGKs will go bad. I had the same wires on my first legacy for 2 years and I got them from a junkyard car.
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

Alright, I'm back from pickup up the wires for you.

Here's some pictures. I think they might be 8mm? Is that what the R-8 means? Other than that it doesn't say anything else to indicate the size, except this lonely "6" by the Japan lettering.

I've never used them (got them off a legacy at the junkyard I think) but they are in great shape. They're numbered on the spark plug ends which is nice.

asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Shoot, if he doesn't want them, I'll take them!
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
SubiePrice88
Third Gear

Post by SubiePrice88 »

What about measuring them with a 7mm or 8mm open end wrench? haha
-Jordan

"Nothing Stings Like a Subee"

1992 Legacy SS, 5MT, 140k, some mods ;)
1993 Legacy Wagon, 5MT, 220k!
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

What's the point of the mm sizes anyways? That's just the size of the sleeving. The wire could be any size. They should be measured by the size of the wire not the sleeve.

He's already sent the money. They'll be shipped out on monday hopefully. They're pretty common I guess. This is the second set I've found on a legacy at the junkyard 10 mins from my house.
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Ya i just found out that the measurement is the sleeving not the actual wire, but still I've heard from a few tuners that some of the cars they tuned ran like CRAP before with the 7mm's, and then they threw on some 8mm and it ran great. Either way my car is bone stock so ill take any NGKs for now, I know they are a GREAT brand!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Mattheww044 wrote:... I've heard from a few tuners that some of the cars they tuned ran like CRAP before with the 7mm's, and then they threw on some 8mm and it ran great.
I'll call BS on that. As long as the plug wires are GOOD quality wires and made the same, you shouldn't see any difference between a 7mm & 8mm plug wire.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

Thats what I didnt understand once i found out that the measurement is just the lining not the actual wire. I'm guessing that the wires that were on there were crap, then they switched to NEW 8mm and that would make sense as to why it ran better. But that wasnt coming from my mouth, I was just saying what "my tuner" said
1-3-2-4
Second Gear

Post by 1-3-2-4 »

stupid question but have anyone ever notice after some time the spark plug cable tends to sometimes push away from the coil pack?
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Yeah, I occasionally have that problem. I just push it back on and use the little plastic spark plug guides to help hold the wires against the pack.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
n2x4
Fourth Gear

Post by n2x4 »

I remedy the issue with zipties.
SUBARUEHS Racing