Head choices, looked, and still a little confused

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Perkul8r
First Gear

Head choices, looked, and still a little confused

Post by Perkul8r »

Hey guys, I am a noob to the subie scene and after reading a couple posts and looking into doing a head swap for adding a turbo soon i am still confused on what to do.

I currently and running a ej22e in a 1998 Subaru Legacy. Which if i remember from what i was reading is a phase 1, feel free to correct me if i am wrong. I am looking to build the motor a little built to run some boost on it. Not a lot. Just a little so i could go play with some of the other cars around here. What would be my best choice in a head and possibly piston combo that will yield decent results for a DD street car?

I am pretty good with turnin wrenches but am looking to keep the wiring down to minimum if possible.

Thanks guy and sorry to ask.
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

I'm sort of a noob to when it comes to our engines too lol.

For fun I have looked at the different combinations but it seems like all the heads made for turbo cars had different oil/water ports then the NA versions. I'm not sure if they would fit up. but they are nice since they have the turbo cams in them. Wish I could be more help. :?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I suggest working the bugs out of a turbo system before worrying about heads. WRX power or more is possible on a stock 22E, so spend your money where it counts, like engine management and other things.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Perkul8r
First Gear

Post by Perkul8r »

What could i run for a turbo setup on it? Parts are limited here where i live for subaru's. So i would have to source everything, and i know the uppipe for the turbo would have to be custom cause i have the single exhaust ports on the heads.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

I'm pretty confused on the single exhaust ports on the heads thing.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Perkul8r
First Gear

Post by Perkul8r »

My car has the single exhaust ports on the heads so i cant run a borla style header. There is a guy that builds and sells a UEL single exhaust port header, but its like 350 plus shipping, which aint bad, but i am trying to keep the parts cost low on this and spend most of my money on the engine management and tuning.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Do you have any friends with welders? That would be a key component to doing that on the cheap.
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
Perkul8r
First Gear

Post by Perkul8r »

I actually plan on buying a welder after taxes. I used to have a whole metal fabrication shop but now i work at a different place. So that will help except i dont currently have a garage. gotta find one. lol
cj91legss
Fifth Gear

Post by cj91legss »

why build up a single port?
91 L-TW Wagon with a full Swap -RIP
92 SS Prefaced, GD dash swapped, 22T/205 Hybrid 20 psi - BEAST!
93 SS Bone Stock Gone!
94 TW Bone Stock Gone!
91 SS 4EAT Sold!
98 LGT 4EAT
98 LGT Wagon 4EAT
Perkul8r
First Gear

Post by Perkul8r »

I am only gonna run this motor for the next year, Due to the fact that money is tight and so is time with me dealing with my sons cancer treatments, but we still try and fit some time in for working on the car. even if it aint much. I am looking into a motor swap either in the winter or early next year.