legacy manual trans howl/whine.

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Piperpilot26
In Neutral

legacy manual trans howl/whine.

Post by Piperpilot26 »

hey everybody,

I'm sure this question has been asked before, but I thought I'd give it a shot. I have a 93 subaru legacy wagon with 221,000 miles on her. I have been getting a loud howl/whine from the trans under load in both fourth and fifth gear. It goes away if I take my foot off the gas and or coast in neutral. Its mostly noticeable at around 40 to 55mph. thats when its the loudest, and boy is it loud! anybody have any ideas as to what it could be?
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

How's the condition/fill level of your transmission and diff (one and the same on manuals) oil? Could be your tranny is running on the original 1993 oil. I'd recommend just draining it and refilling it with the fresh stuff. Search around for what people like, eg. redline, motul, amsoil, etc. It's the cheapest thing to try first.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Lunatech
Second Gear

Post by Lunatech »

When my rear diff was on its way out I thought at first it was the trans. After a couple of days though it became apparent it was not. I was happy and sad at the same time.

But yeah it was definitely much louder at certain speeds, around 35-60 mph was the worst.

FWIW
Robert,

Rio Red 1990 L sedan 5MT at least 302000 mi. and Spruce Pearl 1996 Wagon 4EAT 245000 mi.

georryan wrote:
Don't knock him for thinking outside of the box. At least he has been creative.
Piperpilot26
In Neutral

Post by Piperpilot26 »

I changed the trans oil about a year ago and the rear diff a few months back. both levels are right where they need to be. I could try changing it again and use some different stuff. It would be nice if it turned out to be the rear diff instead of the trans. I to would be happy and sad at the same time lol
Suigintou
In Neutral

Post by Suigintou »

My FWD automatic does the same thing, but much worse.

Check the gear oil in the front diff for metal.