What key are you using?

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Guig'z
In Neutral

What key are you using?

Post by Guig'z »

Hello there, im looking for a new key for my 1990 Legacy. Sadly , alot of the vendors are telling that the keys fits ont 1991 and up. Would a 1990 be the same?

What key are you using?

Guillaume

**I was looking at that one, I like the principe that I would not need a keychain.
http://cgi.ebay.ca/SUBARU-IMPREZA-FORES ... 3a598581d6
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: What key are you using?

Post by kimokalihi »

I can't find a picture of it but I have a blank subaru key. It's black and has a subaru logo on the side which is also a button you can squeeze to turn on a green key light. It's kind of cool.

Part number 57430AA130 $14.75 from firstsubaruparts.com but they charge $12.95 shipping minimum but you may be able to call them and talk them into shipping it in an envelope for cheaper.

Anybody know if this key works? Looking at my key it looks like it should work.

http://www.wheeldude.com/catalog/produc ... ts_id=6405
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If 1st subaru won't budge on the price you could try http://www.subarugenuineparts.com

I have heard the STi key is a little too fat to fit in the lock mechanisms, but not sure if it's a big issue or not.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Got mine at Home Depot. They used a Nissan key blank.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

One other thing to mention do you have the original keys that came with the car? If so, there should be a number combination stamped/etched on the key base near the handle. That is the key code for the car. With that you can have a Subaru dealer cut you a fresh blank. That helps eliminate cutting a key from a badly worn key.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Guig'z
In Neutral

Post by Guig'z »

Well there is a number on it ( XXXX or XXX)

But the key on ebay said 1991 and up, and other people are saying that 1990 to 1994 WILL fit. The key that came with the car ( Black with the grey subaru logo with the light) is broken, and I want a better looking key.

And on Wheeldude ( the link someone posted on the TI STI key) it says that the key will work on the other SUbaru's so I guess they all use the same kind of key?
brand
First Gear

Post by brand »

This info might help. Taken from http://www.awdpirates.net/forums/viewto ... 88&t=38698
kingbobdole from AWDPirates.net wrote: Tired of those old style keys holding you back? Jealous of all the fancy new car owners and their cool keys? You too can have cool keys, here's how.

Step one:
The best thing you can do is to get your key code. This will insure that your new key will work even better in your old car. There are a few ways to get the code. The first way that is guaranteed NOT to work is to call the dealer with your vin number and see if it's in their computer. 95% of the time it is not. Some dealers had it entered when the car was made, but not many... now a days it is a standard thing to do for a new car.

The second way is to have a factory key with the 4 digit number stamped on the key itself. My wagon and RX were that way which makes it really easy.

The final spot is in your passengers door. There are a few screws under the handle and if you have cranks, those have to come off too(with the window up). Then just pull the door card off. If you have really good eyes, look up at the door lock cylinder, and on the little arm that goes from the cylinder to the linkage there is the number printed. My eyes suck, so I'll pull the little spring clip out of the cylinder and pull it off the door to get a better look.

If you are just too lazy, you can get it match cut... but any wear currently on your keys will get worse with the cut... I was using a factory key for the longest time, and wanted one to work better as the ignition was giving me issues... so I used the code and it works much better now. Hint: Get the code.

Step Two:
This is probably the hardest step... Convincing the dealer guy that you are not an idiot and it will work. The new key is not fatter by much, but it is longer. The current gen cars are 10 cut keys for added security. The older EA series stuff is an 8 cut key, but more on that later. Basically you get to argue with the counter bums until they do your bidding... Phrases like "Look, I'll pay for it even if it doesn't work" and "This STi key works in my '89" do not effect them. :P Make sure you do get prices though, some keys are rather high.. the STi one is like $35 for the blank, newer LGT ones are about $15. Regular not-so-high-hp blanks are like $5.

Step Three:
Modifying the key. Since the new keys are 10 cut length, but you just got 8 cuts taken out of it... there are 2 segments that were just not cut. This will be very easy to see as your key will look like an oddly shaped arrow. Basically all you need to do is smooth the tip down to the width of the first actual cut. You DO NOT need to shorten the key. You DO NOT need to get crazy with it. Just file the harsh arrow tips down a bit until they fall in line with the rest of the cut of the key. Don't get too far away from the tip either, just the first 1/4" or so is all you need to do. This can be done with anything as well, the first time I used a pocket leatherman right in the parking lot. Today I used the grinding wheel, and the wire wheel to take off the sharp edges. Any regular file will also do...

The Result:

The STi key fits my '89 XT-6 and the newer legacy key fits my '87 GL wagon. If you look at the first little bump on the tip of the XT key, you can see how far I had to go to smooth it off... not that far.

Enjoy! :D
91 SS with a bunch of parts waiting on the shelf
94 SS with things and such
08 STI with stuff and junk
Mrbuttons
In Neutral

Post by Mrbuttons »

in know that my 02wrx key is ginormous compared to my old legacy key. i would think a blank legacy key from 90-95 should be able to do the trick if not pull the tumblers in the doors and trunk replace them with cool new ones, brake the steering lock and make it a push button start. you can put a top gun power off switch in there as well thats like 32+ cool points haha.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The four numbers you posted (which I removed for your security) are your key code. You can take those to a subaru dealership and have them cut you a key. I had bought a key elsewhere and brought it to my local dealership and they cut it for free.

If they key says it works in a 91 it'll work in a 90. They just don't have their numbers right.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

BSOD2600
Fourth Gear

Post by BSOD2600 »

I found that keys cut from home depot, lowes, etc use crap key stock. After a month of usage, the metal teeth are noticeably more worn down. I went to the dealer, gave them my VIN and got a new key cut from code. Teeth still look new.

'11 WRX Limited
'94 SS | 3" TBE, 07 TMIC, TD05H-16G, Revtronix Stage 2, Walbro -- Sold
'94 TW | R.I.P.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Post by kimokalihi »

That STI key looks cooler but the black one definately looks more ergonomic. I think I'd rather have the black one but I'd have to try em both out to really know.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Guig'z
In Neutral

Post by Guig'z »

Thanks alot everyone! I will be going to my dealer with the factory key of my Leggy! Tired of the old worn out, ugly key!
Wow 15$ for the LGT key? Seems cheaper than any other key..

So I guess any of the Subaru key's fits, just need to be shortened a little..

Guillaume
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Get this key and have them cut it 57430AA130

I think some of the newer subaru keys are more expensive because they have a transponder chip in them which ties to the ECU as an anti-theft device.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Guig'z
In Neutral

Post by Guig'z »

Well I am more interested in buying the flip key on ebay, it would be better I think! I am going to my dealer probably tomorrow, briging the car in case they think I want to stole one Legacy :P
Sams_98LGT
In Neutral

Post by Sams_98LGT »

I know this is old. But I am looking for some cool keys... My friend has a 86 GL, 88 and 89 GL-10s that all had black keys with little LEDs... but all those have been lost/stopped working... Is it possible to use those newer keys? The flip out one would be cool and the STI one would be sick! Would they work and where can I get them?

Yes, I know, ZOMBIE THREAD and Im sorry... just curious...
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Not for the older stuff, but a cool subaru key diy:

http://saab92x.com/viewtopic.php?pid=179835
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's pretty damn cool!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Two generic keys, one's Nissan, one has no name.