Converting to RWD?

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Apex3
Fourth Gear

Converting to RWD?

Post by Apex3 »

I tried to search but the info wasn't helpful. What exactly needs to be done to make a 5 speed SS RWD? I know there's one floating around here, so hopefully he'll chime in.

I'm not interested in your opinions, I just want to know what it takes to do it without destroying parts.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You need to weld the center diff and possibly take out the pinion drive shaft in the trans.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

Legacy777 wrote:You need to weld the center diff and possibly take out the pinion drive shaft in the trans.
Thank you sir :wink:

I think I'm gonna have to pass on this mod though, maybe a future project on a different car, I don't really wanna do anything irreversible to this particular car.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

ur also gonna break alot of axles and most likely the diff over time.
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

You have to weld the center diff as previously stated. I'm not sure about the earlier models but I know on the 02' WRX tranny's you don't have to remove any shafts. Just weld the diff and remove the front axles. You do need to put a cut-off axle in the front hubs though or your'll blow out your wheel bearings.

Nothing that can't be reversed and all the work can be done with the tranny in the car (aside from welding the diff). Be forwarned, it places added stress on the main driveshaft and carrier bearings. I pulled apart a 02' WRX tranny that has a rear bearing SHOT that resulted from a mod like this.

It can be done and I'm sure it's fun. But it does have pro's/con's.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

skid542 wrote:You have to weld the center diff as previously stated. I'm not sure about the earlier models but I know on the 02' WRX tranny's you don't have to remove any shafts. Just weld the diff and remove the front axles. You do need to put a cut-off axle in the front hubs though or your'll blow out your wheel bearings.

Nothing that can't be reversed and all the work can be done with the tranny in the car (aside from welding the diff). Be forwarned, it places added stress on the main driveshaft and carrier bearings. I pulled apart a 02' WRX tranny that has a rear bearing SHOT that resulted from a mod like this.

It can be done and I'm sure it's fun. But it does have pro's/con's.
Well yea it's reversible, but when I said that I meant when I go to sell the car, or mayyyybbbbeee even be able to swap for summer, I knew the latter was a long shot though.

I'm just having RWD withdrawals :( It's nice to be able to go pretty much anywhere, but man do I miss RWD
skid542
Fifth Gear

Post by skid542 »

Honestly, if you're mechanically proficient you can make the change in a day. Assuming you have a welder.

It's not that hard so you could do it in a day. Once you start really pushing the AWD though and getting it sidways, you'll love the level of control you get vs RWD.
Lee

93' SS, 5mt swapped, 182k, not stock...
96' N/A OBW 5sp, 212k, Couple mods... RIP
99' N/A OBW, 4eat, mostly stock.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

skid542 wrote:Honestly, if you're mechanically proficient you can make the change in a day. Assuming you have a welder.

It's not that hard so you could do it in a day. Once you start really pushing the AWD though and getting it sidways, you'll love the level of control you get vs RWD.
Oh I know I could do it pretty quick, but I'm also broke, I can't afford to be buying a new diff when I want AWD back, which I will. Axles have a lifetime warranty so I'm not worried about that.

Right now I don't have enough power to get sideways comfortably, I Have to be going about 40 and I've had bad experiences being sideways after that point...And level of control isn't really my thing :twisted:
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah, you're right Lee. You don't have to mess with the shafts, just use a modded/cut off front axle stub to keep the bearings in check.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Mattheww044
Fourth Gear

Post by Mattheww044 »

hehe, the radio flyer was quite fun with RWD, almost got me in some big trouble a few times though. I was planning on putting it back to AWD, but I didn't have money for the swap.
1991 Subaru Legacy SS 5MT: Revtronix Stage 2 Set-up with a few other "tasteful" mods :D
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Doing research for my Tigershark design when I was still trying to keep to rwd and when I was looking to build an aerodynamic Miata and wanted better gear ratios, I read a couple times that an RX-7 transmission can mate to an EJ engine (with an adaptor plate I imagine), but couldn't actually find any 1st-hand confirmation on someone doing it. Might be worth trying, though—I found a bunch of transmissions with low miles for $150.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: Converting to RWD?

OK, now we have a real and good option for rwd. How driveable is it, really? I don't mean for drifting or doing burnouts or donuts into walls like all the Youtube people, I mean real actual everyday road driving. I'm thinking of converting Duchess to rwd with the Toyota option if the fwd transmission goes south. Does anyone with rwd Subaru experience think this would be something I could throw some good snows on and drive in the winter?

And, though people here are pretty cool and I doubt I'll hear it, but I will add that, no, I don't care about the "point" of Subaru being awd (hey, Subaru doesn't care about what they stand for, so why should I?)—those Toyota transmissions are bulletproof. Besides, what other small rwd wagon options are there? Volvo? BMW? No thanks.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
beatersubi
Fifth Gear

Post by beatersubi »

Volvos came w/ a 2.3T or readily accept a GM V6 or V8. Plus they have exemplary safety records.
Just saying...
93 legacy wagon L, 22T swapped (TW imitator) now with five forward speeds. (Gone, but never forgotten)
johndrivesabox wrote: Rally, my kyboard is brok, his has nohing o do wih h liquor.
Originalcyn wrote:Apparently everyone hates Gabe.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

It looks like I'm going to be doing this. I want to be prepared for when the 150k+ fwd transmission shits the bed with the turbo, so I'm getting parts together. My parts car rear sub assembly is kind of nasty and I'm not as poor as I was so unless the vinegar can work miracles, I'll be probably replacing all the sub frame and mountings for the rear end.

Does anyone know for sure that WRX rear subframes and frame mounts bolt right into our cars? They sure look the same in pictures and I'd much rather get 6 year old parts than 20, plus they may be improved to some extent.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Yeah as long as you get the 02-07 MY's they should be the same.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

onur
Vendor
Vendor

Re:

Post by onur »

sqc151 wrote:ur also gonna break alot of axles and most likely the diff over time.
this is actually not true. I could spin my tires all the way to the 3rd 4th gear just standing in the same spot and not brake axles. I drove around like this for a while and wasn't an issue. If you have R compound 255 tires on the car and if you are dropping clutch everywhere than it might be a different case.

As for the breaking the center diff, by welding it, basically you are making it indestructible and I can almost guarantee you that you will break an axle before anything happens to your diff.

Cheers,

ot
WoodsWagon
In Neutral

Re: Re:

Post by WoodsWagon »

onur wrote:
sqc151 wrote:ur also gonna break alot of axles and most likely the diff over time.
this is actually not true. I could spin my tires all the way to the 3rd 4th gear just standing in the same spot and not brake axles. I drove around like this for a while and wasn't an issue. If you have R compound 255 tires on the car and if you are dropping clutch everywhere than it might be a different case.

As for the breaking the center diff, by welding it, basically you are making it indestructible and I can almost guarantee you that you will break an axle before anything happens to your diff.

Cheers,

ot
My stack of grenaded r160's begs to differ. If you get any wheel hop, or shock loading, the r160 will let loose. I had the crosspin shear and crack the carrier on one, spider gears loose all their teeth on a couple, and lots of stub shafts shear. It mostly depends on the tires you run, I had 235/75r15's, so it took a lot more torque to break them loose.
onur
Vendor
Vendor

Post by onur »

I forgot to mention that I also had a welded center diff :)