Easiest downpipe to replace rustty stock one

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

FrozennorthLGT
In Neutral

Easiest downpipe to replace rustty stock one

Post by FrozennorthLGT »

Pretty sure my exhaust leak is a hole rusted in the bend area of the downpipe, by its hard to tell with all the heat shielding. What's the easiest downpipe to use to replace it? I've tried searching but can't find a definate answer. Obviously one from another legacy ss, but are there any aftermarket ones for a wrx or anything that will bolt in without modification? Car is a 92 ss. 4eat. I just want to quiet it down a bit as cheaply as possible. I'd be fine with a cheapo eBay one if I don't have to do any Modding to make it work. It will probably outlast the car anyways.
2005 Legacy GT Sedan 5EAT
1992 Legacy SS 4EAT
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Re: Easiest downpipe to replace rustty stock one

Post by gijonas »

Yeah get a wrx one.Just dont get a cheapy flex pipe style like on ebay.Spend a little more for a quality solid piece.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
SLODRIVE
Third Gear

Post by SLODRIVE »

WRX downpipes still require extending the mid-pipe to reach the flange; they're a little shorter than the Legacy ones. But that's all you should have to do besides adding a bung for your O2 sensor.
http://www.slodriveracing.com
-92 SS 5MT- EJ20H swap, Haltech standalone ECU, TD04, FXT TMIC, 3" exhaust, STi/AGX struts, JDM 5-speed, 4.111 LSD rear, Blitz EBC, etc.
-'93 L Wagon - Pink Roll Cage - "Dirty Leg"
-And more!
gijonas
Fourth Gear

Post by gijonas »

Shit sorry I had Up pipe in mind.
94SS.Wiseco forged pistons,TD04,TMIC,WALBRO 225,440's,3" all the way,revtronix stage 2,enough other crap to fill the internet.

THE TRIBUTE BUILD>>>LINKY LINK>>> http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?p=295455#295455
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

btw, dont throw urs out. take it to the scrap yard. u will get around 80 bucks for it.
FrozennorthLGT
In Neutral

Post by FrozennorthLGT »

Yeah I had planned on turning it in for the cat in it. So what year WRX ones work best? Auto or Manual? I have easy access to a very cheap one from an 04 STI, would that work at all? And assuming I use one from a WRX, how much would the midpipe need extending? Last dumb question for the moment, how hard is adding the O2 bung? Can I just buy one and have someone weld it in, even if the pipe is one of those cheapy ebay stainless ones?
1992 Legacy SS 4EAT
FrozennorthLGT
In Neutral

Post by FrozennorthLGT »

Another question for those that have used a cheapo ebay wrx one. is the bolt spacing on the flange the same as the stock legacy ss midpipe?
1992 Legacy SS 4EAT