smaller clutch resevoir!!

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

fasterthanyou
In Neutral

smaller clutch resevoir!!

Post by fasterthanyou »

i know that this has probably been brought up a thousand times. but i decided that i would share some new light on the subject of the clutch resevoir. so in my searching i found that there are a few other containers that will bolt on the stock master cylinder, such as the offset resevior, or the outback one.
by the way i have a 1991 leggy SS.
well instead of trying to find one of those i had the idea to just replace the master cylinder all-together. and there was a little bit of info on this but here is what i found out.
the original master cylinder and lines are really a lot more cumbersome than they need to be.
i went to the junkyard and found an old forester, i believe it was the 1999. i dont really know becuase the whole front end of it was cut off and it was all taken apart. but the master cylinder was there and thats what i wanted.
it is very simple compared to the stock ones on our cars. it bolts right into the holes no problems. and the forester hard line basically goes right into the slave cylinder. there was just a little bend that i had to do. extremely easy.

i guess here are a few steps.
1. take out the pin that connects the clutch pedal to the master cylinder. this is inside the cabin to the right of the gas pedal.
2. unbolt the master cylinder from the firewall. these are 12mm
3. your going to have to unbolt 3 bolts that hold the line to the tranny. this i though was completely pointless. it is where the hydraulic rubber line converts to the hard line. also 12 mm
4. unscrew the hard line from the slave, this is size 10 mm
5. pull it out.
6. put the new one in. like i said the hard line is almost there.
7. what i did is connect it to the firewall first to give it some support and put it where it needs to go. then bend the hard line into the slave and screw it in. then connect the pedal.
8. thats pretty much it, just bleed the clutch and your good.

now there is room for that 02 03 WRX intercooler baby. more on that later.
thanks. and let me know your input.

oh p.s. change your clutch fluid. the guy i bought the car from said he did it very recently i guess not.
kimokalihi
Fifth Gear

Re: smaller clutch resevoir!!

Post by kimokalihi »

That's cool. No clutch damper to bypass or mess with then? I removed mine. Nice find.
98 Metro Hatch Daily Driver :)
91 SS EJ20G Engine/Tranny/Diff Swap Build Thread Here
"Your testes are close to your bottom but you still play with them all the time." Jeremy Clarkson
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Nice pics. You could have just swapped the resevoir and left the clutch master cylinder there if you wanted.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
AWD_addict
Fifth Gear

Post by AWD_addict »

If anyone needs even more topmount room, you can switch the reservior from the Forrester master with a WRX/STi res.
90 L+ wgn