Fiberglass replacement quarter panels.

Anything and Everything about the Body, from paint to undercoating and interior, including in-car entertainment (ICE).

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nottofast
First Gear

Fiberglass replacement quarter panels.

Post by nottofast »

Has anyone ever seen such an animal or attempted to make them? I am pretty happy with my Legacy but just about every car I see has the quarter panel rust. I have a couple relatively clean quarters that I have cut off a junked car but have decided I am done with the steel quarters. They may end up being molds for glass quarters.

I see a guy making a unroof panel on here but would members be interested in this?
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Re: Fiberglass replacement quarter panels.

Post by x2hawt4ux »

i would be interested
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

do you want to just cover the rust. or cut the whole quarter off.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
nottofast
First Gear

Post by nottofast »

I would basically like to remove the quarter from the tail light to the edge of the rear doors and from the body line down.
x2hawt4ux
First Gear

Post by x2hawt4ux »

i would want everybody part hood, door, fenders all that.
92 turbo legacy: RWD W58 SWAP, td04, 3"tbe, mbc, fmic, wrx brakes/hubs, wrx seats, welded 4.11, fcd, drift steering wheel, Drifting Stickers
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That would reduce a lot of strength. The outer body work helps to make a box of the inner structure. How bad it would be, I don't know, but I'd say you'd get a lot more annoying squeaks at a minimum and with the thickness of fiberglass you'd need for strength, I doubt you'd save significant weight. The wheel arch area is the part that's problematic, so I'd just replace that, if anything at all, and you'll have to graft it to the inner wheel arch to block junk from getting into the inner body and causing worse rot if you intend this as a permanent fix (unless this is just to get the car looking decent for a few years before you figure it will be sold/scrapped).
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
nottofast
First Gear

Post by nottofast »

Yeah that whole structural analysis thing might be a problem but it seems like these old Legacy's are built like tanks. I never considered leaving the wheel wells open. They would have to be bonded to the wheel wells also. I believe their is also a reinforcement brace in their also? That could also remain.
nottofast
First Gear

Post by nottofast »

Anyone here ever sneeze on a GD front fender? LOL! PAPER THIN.......
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

nottofast wrote:Anyone here ever sneeze on a GD front fender? LOL! PAPER THIN.......
Legacys aren't any better, I have a small dent from leaning on it working on the engine...
nottofast
First Gear

Post by nottofast »

Apex3 wrote:
nottofast wrote:Anyone here ever sneeze on a GD front fender? LOL! PAPER THIN.......
Legacys aren't any better, I have a small dent from leaning on it working on the engine...
Oh yeah well I have a 2004 STI fender that looks like my wrinkled jeans. Maybe it is the design differences but I believe the Legacy 1st Gen are stronger/thicker.
Apex3
Fourth Gear

Post by Apex3 »

nottofast wrote:
Apex3 wrote:
Oh yeah well I have a 2004 STI fender that looks like my wrinkled jeans. Maybe it is the design differences but I believe the Legacy 1st Gen are stronger/thicker.
Never had trouble working on my friend's 06...

All Subarus are made of tin cans
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Duchess had one dent on the front fender that had good cause (banged out). I've seen car doors from careless idiots bounce off (diffusing my anger). Try Hondas—I think they come pre-dented—and my Mazda 3 had more dents than the Legacy when I traded it. The plastic on the bumpers are really serious—not even a scratch when rear ended by a Chrysler LHS that got it's front bumper and headlight bashed. The $2500 damage done to my Mazda in a parking lot (fender, broken tabs on $400+ headlight unit, air box, thin front bumper torn) would've been a dent I could've banged out of the fender in the Legacy and a sidelight that may or may not have been able to be saved. They're not old A-bodies, but they're a lot tougher than most.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.