timing belt tensioner: new vs old style

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

nosyt
Second Gear

timing belt tensioner: new vs old style

Post by nosyt »

sorry if this has been gone over i did search with no clear answer

are there any benefits to either style tensioner? my motor was built with the new style and it seems to weeping slightly (wet around the pin) but i have a full old style and bracket available to me.

so do i spend the money and replace the new style tensioner or just covert the motor back to the old style
vrg3
Vikash

Re: timing belt tensioner: new vs old style

Post by vrg3 »

For what it's worth, I feel like I've heard of more new-style tensioners failing than the old-style. That might have to do with the fact that newer Subarus have longer belt replacement intervals though. I don't know if the changes happened at the same time or not.

Is the old style setup new or used? If it's new, I'd definitely use that. If it's used, well, then it's less clear -- I guess in that case I'd just use whichever setup it was cheaper to buy a new tensioner for, and use a new tensioner.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Alphius
Fourth Gear

Post by Alphius »

Vikash is right. The newer style tensioner is much more prone to failure. I would use the old style even if it is used, as long as it has been stored compressed and isn't seeping any fluid.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I personally don't care for the new style tensioner setup. It doesn't seem to keep the belt tensioned as well. I think Subaru has compensated for this by adding a cover around the crank gear. I seem to recall the tensioner on the new Legacy having a tiny bit of weeping coming from it.

http://main.experiencetherave.com/subar ... G_6574.JPG
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
nosyt
Second Gear

Post by nosyt »

yea ive decided to go with the old style one and since ive gone to an sti oil pump i picked up the crank gear cover as well just as a safety. my local parts guy at the dealership said those covers only come on manual transmission cars probably to help belt jump while bashing through the gears
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

That's interesting to know the covers are only on the MT cars.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Deride
Second Gear

Post by Deride »

New style ones had some major failure issues. A Subaru tech friend of mine told me that there are colored dots on the newer style ones and if the dot is blue to throw it away. You want the one with the GREEN dot. Another friend of mine said to replace them with the timing belt and never to re-use them. The older style ones are really FTW, as I have never heard of any issues and I have re-used many of them myself.
2002 Impreza 2.0RS 6MT
2001 Impreza 2.5RS 5MT (winter beater)
1992 Jeep Cherokee
1994 SS 5MT RIP
1991 SS 5MT *SOLD*
1996 Legacy Outback 5MT *SOLD*
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

The belt covers on MT cars are to keep the belt from jumping teeth when the engine is off and the car is moved in gear (or popping the clutch to start it). Brand new cars would come off the boat/truck with a check engine light from rocking back and forth in gear. Not a problem on automatics obviously.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Interesting. Good to know.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

SiCkSTi04
Second Gear

Post by SiCkSTi04 »

stick with the old style, I've heard too many stories where people confuse a failing newer style timing belt tensioner with piston slap, valves etc. http://youtu.be/2J0vgN_nJbs
-04 WRX STi - Java Black Pearl - Cobb Stage 2
-02 Forester Type S premium - Platinum Silver Metallic - Stock
-92 Legacy Sport Sedan - Onyx Black Pearl - Stock
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Subaru redesigned the "newer" style again: there's an additional small pulley on the edge of the tensioner, as seen in the pic above. Vica put one on his motor - I believe it requires a different style bracket than the "newer" one mentioned above.

Pre-redesign for reference:

Personal note on the crank sprocket belt stay: I put one on my old Outback when I did a timing change. After about 15k miles I took it off due to the belt rubbing on it! Swapped in a new belt of course. I realize you can adjust it up and down a little, but IMO it wasn't worth sacrificing another belt (or my valves!) to find out.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

If you have a choice between the two new styles try not to get the one with the small pulley. They constantly fail because they are spinning twice as fast and the bearings are also much smaller (think skateboard bearings)

If you don't have a vice and need to compress the tensioner you can use a pair of chain vice grips like so

Remember that the old style must always remain horizontal and the two new styles must always remain vertical or they will be damaged.