help on a ej22t-ej25d hybrid swap!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

fatlace92
In Neutral

help on a ej22t-ej25d hybrid swap!

Post by fatlace92 »

I am looking for someone who has done a ej22t - ej25d hybrid swap! i have a lot of questions and can not find any answers. thanks
Rubasu
First Gear

Re: help on a ej22t-ej25d hybrid swap!

Post by Rubasu »

um yes?
90 legacy Wagon LS Special, JDM closed deck 20g, custom 25d heads f/ metic motors, APS GC FMIC, 740cc, VF34, 4.11 F/D, Turboxs RFL blow off valve, now with piggyback.
94 Legacy SS R.I.P (parts car now for 90)
97 Legacy Outback (sold)
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

What are your questions?

-use a standard 96-99 EJ25D timing belt
-use an ej25d intake manifold, or any other phase I (from the 90s) DOHC intake manifold
*you might need to solder wires to get the length you need
*block off the EGR on a usdm ej25d intake manifold, others don't need to but are hard to find
-reuse your throttle body, IAC and wiring harness from your current intake manifold
-PCV routing, you need to fab it from home plumbing parts.
*All custom work needed, unless you score a rare complete JDM turbo phase I intake manifold
-your static compression will go from 8.17:1 to 7.6:1 (per http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic.php?t=41519)
-use headgaskets that match your block, not your heads.

That's what I can think of off the top of my head
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
fatlace92
In Neutral

Post by fatlace92 »

i am wondering about my injectors? can i use stock or do i have to get bigger ones. im putting a td05 turbo on it instead of the stock turbo. and i dont want to have to change ecu's either
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Couple of members with dataloggers showed that the td05 maxed out their stock injectors very quickly. I believe you can use them short term with the car if it's running stock boost levels. But this is a waste of both the turbo and the heads potential.

So you can run bigger injectors with the stock ecu but the car will incredibly rich. Some members were more or less successful going that route. The guys I know personally who did that (big injectors on the stock ecu) got gas mileage in the teens. :( Personally I ran 440cc's on the stock ecu for a very short time, and the car became almost undrivable. But there were other issues such as intake leaks that prob contributed. To get much more boost you'll need to build or buy a Fuel Cut Defender, and use a Manual or Electric Boost Controller.

Short of that, unfortunately, your choices are very limited. A piggyback tuning device or a standalone programmable ecu can work, but both are more likely more expensive than Rob's solution. Sticking with the stock ecu means you won't even come close to your engine/turbo's potential, even with injectors, an FCD and MBC or EBC.

So what do I recommend? Go your current route, with the td05, some form of intercooling, and get a Robtune and 525/550cc STI injectors to go with it. That means buying an ej20g WRx 4-plug ecu, sending it to Rob for chipping, and getting his ignition converter. It's all plug and play after that.

Kimo recently had his car dyno'd and he's got a stock STI beat HP-wise with the td05/550cc/Robtune combo, with his 2.0L DOHC engine.
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
fatlace92
In Neutral

Post by fatlace92 »

i would love to do all that! but reason i said with the stock ecu is because i dont have a ton of money right now.. i just want something that i can use until i can upgrade ecu's and injectors... and how much to have the ecu chipped and tuned?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I ran a TD05 with a rising rate pressure regulator for years. It's not ideal because you can't tune it very much, but it's safe for sure. I did put a bleeder valve in its vacuum line so I could adjust it a little using my wideband oxygen sensor, but you wouldn't have to do that. In my opinion it'd be the perfect stopgap measure for you.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
fatlace92
In Neutral

Post by fatlace92 »

Yeah that would work out for me cause i can just do that until i can upgrade my ecu. where would i get a rising rate pressure regulator though?
fatlace92
In Neutral

Post by fatlace92 »

another thing i was wondering about was the fuel rail.. the ej22t on will bolt right back in place or will i have to modify it a bit to go back on? i have the ej25d intake manifold.

Also i was wondering about all my lines and hoses. with the stock ej22t hoses and lines go over the ej25d intake manifold? or will i have to extend some somehow?
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The Vortech FMU seems to be the most popular RRFPR. Used ones pop up in the forums for between $50 and $100 every once in a while.

Here's someone on NASIOC asking $100 for one: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2307145

This is a much older post, but it doesn't say if it was ever sold. This guy was asking $25: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=2333597

Also, I should point out that you need a heavy-duty fuel pump with an RRFPR because it has to be able to push high pressures. I used the stock pump from a MkIV twin-turbo Supra. A Walbro high pressure pump would be fine too.

No, I don't believe you can use the EJ22T rails. If you can get your hands on EJ20G rails I believe they'll work with your EJ22T injectors.

Or you could use the EJ25D rails and either get your hands on some Nissan 370cc/min injectors. It won't be perfect because they have slightly different opening and closing times but they'll do alright.

As for the various lines and hoses, you'll probably have to do some rigging on your own. None of it should be that big a deal.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Did you already buy a set of heads? I still have those and will throw in the 25d rails if you still wanted them. The post office couldn't give me a quote on shipping till I actually pack them up in a box and take them there cuz they base it on size more than weight.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon
fatlace92
In Neutral

Post by fatlace92 »

im getting a corvette fuel pump for free and a fuel pressure regulator also && I got a set of ej25d heads and a ej25d head gasket for free from a buddy actually.
BoostedSubie
Second Gear

Post by BoostedSubie »

Oh alright, cool man.
93 Black Legacy SS
93 Legacy
97 Outback- EJ25D/22e frankenmotor
97 Green Outback
97 Red Legacy GT
98 Silver Legacy GT- Pikes Peak build, built EJ22t/205, GT3076r
99 Black Legacy GT wagon