New around here, Legacy Turbo from Croatia

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Japanac
In Neutral

New around here, Legacy Turbo from Croatia

Post by Japanac »

Hello!

My name is Marijan, im from Zagreb, Croatia.

Bought a fist gen legacy turbo 2 weeks ago. Thats my first Subaru.

Im kinda short with time now, but really eager to post this topic, so for now i will just copy paste my post from LegacyGT forum. Later on i will add some more stuff.
Japanac wrote:Well... here it is.

1991 Legacy turbo awd.... Bought it today, also my first subaru, before it i had 2 mazda 323 (protege) first generation... i was in love with first one because i grew up in it and got all my automobile/driving knowledge on that car... it has been totaled 3 times, not by my fault, and i almost repaired it third time too, but had to let go... it was truly an amazing car, just loved it.

Back to subie.... as said, my frist one, so i dont know much about them, just the facts...

To point out the problems with it first.... i need new gauge cluster because previous owner tampered with this one so backlight rarely works, and fuel gauge doesnt work...

Other problems are listed under "common", engine sputter at low rpm, hate it, and squeaky clutch...

Car itself isnt a beauty now... it has 15" steel rims, and rear fender flares were fixed (rust) and painted with spray or something similar so it looks bad... but for now im not so much about the looks of it, since i dont even own it for 24h

Also, over here, they are extremely rare, so pretty much no one knows what it is, making it one hell of a sleeper.

Im sure i forgot something i wanted to say but its 3:30 am here and it has been a day full of excitement for me so...

Second post, the one with problems

Japanac wrote:Its now been two weeks with car... so by now i`ve managed to spot problems that need fixing... some are urgent, some are less urgent...but still.

Need instrument gauge cluster... backlight and fuel gauge dont work and thats a big problem :)

Also, i have a leaky sunroof... drain pipes work, but obviously something is wrong and it leaks on left and right side...

Clutch pedal sometimes wont fully return (?!?).. clutch does engage, but pedal doesnt go back completely so i have to get my leg under it and "pop" it back... lol.... dunno whats causing that?

Also, clutch is pretty worn, so i will have to replace it... any reccomendations on a clutch kit?

Something is wrong with shifter linkage, or atleast i think so, because it feels kinda sketchy, more like on a Yugo than a Subaru... and i know that previous owner did something with it....

Problem with ventilation control... when i hit the button to direct vents to windshield, it makes a clicking noise.... quite fast, click click click... like something inside dash wont switch...

One of things that worry`s me most is a strange (altough it sounds awesome and intimidating ) whine from gearbox in first gear... and shifting to fourth is sometimes difficult, no matter how slow i shift, it grinds a bit.. like a bad syncro...

And ofcourse, a basic service... thats a must...

Im thinking about removing catalyc converters in order to make it "exhale" easier and to get the turbo to spool sooner and faster, how much difference does better exhaust and intake do on this car? A friend of mine has mazda 323 gtr and just with minor intake mods and exhaust, power went from 185 to 240hp...

Thank You all for all replys so far and new ones to come I have more questions but cant remember now... and i think this is enough questions for one post lol....

tnx
Dynamic Entry
Third Gear

Post by Dynamic Entry »

Welcome to Legacy Central!

Croatia! Wow! I am proud of you for having a EDM SS, and I think you'll be happy with it if you can be patient about getting rid of the problems. It has taken me a long time of replacing 'tune up' parts and upgrading things but my SS is finally running very smooth and is very fit mechanically.

Intake and exhaust have not been shown to increase power by very much. This is because the main power constriction is the very small turbo, the low factory boost level, and the fact that USDM Legacy did NOT have an intercooler.

Does yours have the AWIC?

However, larger exhaust adds a lot of driveability and allows the turbo to spool easier and smoother through to the higher RPM.

also, intake doesn't add too many HP by itself, but deleting the resonator changes the way it sounds in a BIG way, and getting rid of the 'snorkus' should allow for greater flow. these are common mods that are well documented in the Intake section

real power gains are going to be made with bigger turbos, which require a few support modifications. Luckily in the last 18 months a tuning shop in Canada has developed a performance chip to allow for a good tune for people who don't have the ability to tune their own engine management.

clutch, the WRX one is a very good option as long as you are staying under 250 hp. There are very good kits on ebay that come with the little bits needed, and you could get a new flywheel at the same time. Lightweight flywheels are a preference issue, some people don't like/recommend them but I have had one for a couple years now and I really like how it drives.

on that note, you'll find that MANY Subaru parts, especially Impreza ones will bolt on to your car. This makes upgrading somewhat easy considering there is basically no aftermarket support for the Legacy (at least in North America)

as for the sputtering, you will get a very consistent message here, 'Tune up tune up tune up':

-spark plugs
-spark plug wires
-PCV valve
-air filter
-vacuum lines
-make sure grounds are clean/strong
-fuel pump
-fuel filter

OK, that is my welcome rant. Good luck with the Legacy.
Andrew

16 Outback - wife's daily
95 Gravel Express - Sold
92 Green SVX - RIP
02 WRB WRX - Sold
93 White SS "Angel": 4EAT to 5MT 550 Robtune !SOLD!
̶9̶2̶ ̶W̶i̶n̶e̶s̶t̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶S̶S̶ ̶5̶M̶T̶ R.I.P.
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

Thanks for a fast and constructive reply :)

About intake and exhaust, don`t expect much with minor modifications, but i knew its worth asking, so when and if i find time (my job gives me no free time :( ) i will "play" with that snorkel thing and explore a bit. I did notice that it takes quite a lot of time to get it to full boost and first tought about that is ofcourse very restrictive exhaust system. But as said i first want to deal with all the problems and get it in great shape, before modifying etc.

AWIC? If that stands for water intercooler, than, yes, it has that thing :)
Aerotech
Fourth Gear

Post by Aerotech »

A new clutch will also cure your pedal return problem. :-)
Jerry

'04 Passat GLS 4Motion 5MT (Subaru by VW)
'86 Vanagon Syncro Camper Garage Queen
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

So thats what it is.... tnx... also i get a lot of shaking from clutch or something if i give it a one or to hard starts, overheats probably...

Cluch hydraulic system is separated from brake hydraulics right?

And after some more searching i found out that i probably have a major shifter linkage problem with "bushings" because shifter feels like crap... its so "off" that when i shift into reverse, reverse lights don`t turn on unless i jerk the shifter around a bit to find a position in wich lights would turn on :?

One totaly noobish question, but please understand, im new lol.... what does SS stands for? I see that this model is reffered as legacy SS so thats why im asking.

tnx again
mike-tracy

Post by mike-tracy »

Sport Sedan, the "TW" stands for Touring Wagon
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

Tought its something like that... tnx....

Btw here`s one vid... my first "drift" attempt... i had it for two-three days then and already was treated with first rain, bad tires and slippery surface :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ildATjhw-xc
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

Hello...

I have a clutch related question.. or two.... mine is dead... needs replacing, asap.... since i dont have much choice around here with aftermarket, im quite happy because i found a guy that solds helix clutch kits and i heard only best about them... He told me that i should take a 6 puck clutch disc but im not quite sure about it... dont think i need it because i mostly drive in town and wont drive like mad all the time, i dont want a clutch thats hard on drivetrain, shakes or "hits" on starts... so i guess you guys also think it would be better to take a normal clutch disc?

Second question, flywheel, is it single piece or double on this car? Because if its not single, i think it should be also changed...

Once again, to help you out
Engine code says EJ20GNW1BA
Transmition ype TY752VN1AA

tnx a lot!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

If it were me, I'd go with a normal clutch disc.

Flywheel should be single piece.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

And im going to do the same... normal disc its gonna be...
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

Here it is... 2 weeks and 900$ later, Helix reinforced pressure plate and organic reinforced clutch disc...

Still need to get my hands on front left engine mount, tranny seals for driveshafts (leaky), and some other stuff...

Also have a problem with powersteering, especially in cold weather... it simply cuts powersteering, when changing directions...oil level is ok, but its probably old and i think that powersteering pump is dying... so, quite a lot of things to do... quite a lot of money needed... so this will all take some time....

And, two questions if i may.... first, how many oil goes to the engine and which gradation to use? And second, is EJ20G interference or noninterference engine? In other words, if timing belt dies, will i have to just buy a new one or i will be starting a thread "WTB, EJ20 heads, pistons, etc..." ?

tnx
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

Here it is... 2 weeks and 900$ later, Helix reinforced pressure plate and reinforced clutch disc...

Still need to get my hands on front left engine mount, tranny seals for driveshafts (leaky), and some other stuff...

Also have a problem with powersteering, especially in cold weather... it simply cuts powersteering, when changing directions...oil level is ok, but its probably old and i think that powersteering pump is dying... so, quite a lot of things to do... quite a lot of money needed... so this will all take some time....

And, few questions if i may.... first, how many oil goes to the engine and which gradation to use? And second, is EJ20G interference or noninterference engine? In other words, if timing belt dies, will i have to just buy a new one or i will be starting a thread "WTB, EJ20 heads, pistons, etc..." ?

Repair manual? Does it exist? Where to get it?
tnx
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Around 4.8 US qts goes in the engine. 10w30 is what most people use.

I believe the EJ20G is non-interference.

This manual will probably have the info you want on the ej20g motor
http://bbs.legacycentral.org/viewtopic. ... 532#116532
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

I installed autodata 2009 yesterday and it says its interference engine, but i hope they are wrong and you are right :)

tnx for the link and sorry im asking so many noobish questions :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Hopefully someone can confirm or deny the interference issue.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Isn't it valve-valve interference? I could easily be wrong.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

evolutionmovement wrote:Isn't it valve-valve interference? I could easily be wrong.
That's kind of what crossed my mind since it's DOHC.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

Guy from small local (and only one) subaru shop told me its interference...
Japanac
In Neutral

Re: New around here, Legacy Turbo from Croatia

Post by Japanac »

It has been a loooong looong time since my last post here... And that is wrong, since there were many changes.

Im gonna try to cut it short.... After buying the car in 2009, driving it for one year, and trying to deal with small and big problems, i decided that it would probably be best not to register it, and let it sit untill i can do everything in one shot... Then i had to do it, because i lost my job. Luckily, unemployment period was short, and new job quite good, so after some thinking, i decided to go for it, and save the old guy, especially since there arent any other Legacy`s Turbo over here.
It took a lot of time, and a serious amount of money... but year and a half later, mechanics are sort of there... still have problems with gearbox, and some new resonanting sound that sounds like a bearing, but then it doesnt at the same time, coming from the rear end.

After that, car was stripped down and taken to a body shop, where it spent few months, because a friend of mine was working on it, and i wanted it to be as good as possible, and was in no rush.

On summer 2012 i got it registred, and did some more maintanece work that had to be done. Two weeks ago, we had the biggest snowfall in one day in last 60 years in my town. Needless to say, i spent 150$ on gas in day and a half, and enjoyed every cent of it, all the sleepless nights trucking over Europe paid out that night :D

These days im going to the local exhaust shop, they know their job quite well, but i would appreciate advices from you guys. I want a full exhaust, catless, with 2 mufflers, because i dont want it to be too loud, but still to have enough flow and growl. Any advices on the diameter/setup? Im staying on stock turbo and headers for now since there are many other things that need to be taken care of first. But the stock exhaust gave up on that snowy night so it sounds terrible now and needs to be fixed. What can i expect in terms of boost and MPG?

Plans for the spring are ofcourse new rims, because those 15" steel wheels are the only i have. Thinking about these

In 16" ,because im not a fan of big rims, and dont know how would it behave on 17"

Then there`s the suspension, which is completely stock and 20 years old, but not one bushing or joint is broken.
And thats it about the looks, nothing else. Im not even thinking about lowering it.
Future wishes are safe 250-300 hp, and a WRX brakes, but it all depends on finances and abilities since its very hard to find anything for a Subaru over here, and even if you do, the price is astronomical.

Now i will shut my mouth and post pics that i have.

Image[/quote]

Chasing the Evo 9 :)

rallyak
Third Gear

Post by rallyak »

These cars make a good snow plow, I've had to do that many times while working delivering luggage.
Charles

90' White/Gray Outback DD workhorse (670,xxx) miles
92' Onyx Metallic (430,xxx) Wife's DD
68' Barracuda formula S 340 4spd coupe (ongoing project)
66' Mustang 2+2 4spd wife's (ongoing project)
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

You just need to make sure to clean the bumper afterwards because it could overheat.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

The car turned out really nice! And that snow looks very fun :)

As for the exhaust, what I'd recommend is a 3" turbo back exhaust with a resonator & muffler. The resonator in combination with the muffler help keep the highway drone down and still has a good subaru boxer engine sound.

Here are some pictures of my exhaust, which may give you some ideas what to ask the shop for.

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... s/ej22t/25

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... G_8292.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... G_8293.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... G_8294.JPG
http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... G_8295.JPG

There's some more scattered in here if you want to browse

http://www.main.experiencetherave.com/s ... spdswap/16
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

5th picture from the bottom...

... I see what you did there.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Japanac
In Neutral

Post by Japanac »

Haha.. exactly Fahrer :))

Thank you Legacy777, printing these out now lol. I know what i want in terms of sound, i just hope they will understand.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

You're welcome.

Let us know how it turns out.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT