91 legacy lift question (Front strut combo to use)

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Boisesubaru
In Neutral

91 legacy lift question (Front strut combo to use)

Post by Boisesubaru »

So I recently picked up some "new" wheels (from a ~98 outback) for my 91 Legacy after getting some "new" struts from the junk yard.

The rear struts were pulled off a FWD 90 Legacy Wagon, and definitely are much better than the old ones, but as you can see give it an unintended lift.

The tire size the new wheels have on them is 215/60/R15 and they barely fit. The almost rub the strut in the back and they are close to the spring perch in the front.

So I'm looking for recommendations here... My front struts also need replaced, I want to get some kind of lift but nothing intense. Just something to lift it up a bit so it matches the back.

I'm also looking for recommendations about tire size. Right now I'm thinking 205/60/R15. I'm not looking to get massive tires but I want ones that look good for the new height of the car. I could get taller tires for the back but the front won't fit more than a 215/60/R15 without different struts.

One more thing: I might have put the struts on opposites because I think they were on opposite on the car I pulled them off. Unless the L and R strut is the same and just the top hats are different. I know the top hats are on right sides but the brake line holder ended up on the wrong side of the strut when we put the new ones in.

Thanks! Always enjoy seeing the forums' ideas.

Here are some pics to show the proximity of tire to strut. Sorry it's hard to get pics up in there.

Front:

Rear:
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Re: 91 legacy lift question (Front strut combo to use)

Post by Someperson »

get sedan springs for the rear, problem solved... unless you used your old springs? but the spring rates are different and that's causing the unintended lift
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
Boisesubaru
In Neutral

Post by Boisesubaru »

Ahh, that makes sense. No, we used the springs from the wagon since the struts were so shot on the car that we were only riding on spring. We might swap those in. I kinda dig the height now though, Would putting in wagon springs on the front lift it up too?
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

No, same springs. But you could try 1st gen outback struts all around, not sure it it'll be too even if u have outbacks in the front tho....
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
Boisesubaru
In Neutral

Post by Boisesubaru »

Well, I'm looking to keep the struts I have in the back right now, and find some that will lift the front a few inches.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Is your 91 Legacy FWD? If not, that's the reason the rear end is jacked up like that. The spring rates will be slightly different between the wagon & sedan, but I'm not sure it would give you that much lift.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm