Manual shifter issues

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Manual shifter issues

Post by FundamentalyConfused »

The past few days I've been having issues getting the trans to shift. Most of the time it happens when it's going into second but when I get the resistance it carries over to 1st and 3rd but not 4th 5th or reverse. I know my clutch bearings need replacement and the trans has a possible 300k miles on it but could the shifter bushings be going bad? Or maybe there's a bad pin or something? I hope it's not bad synchros.

It's getting really frustrating trying to shift into second after takeoff and it's not there for me.
1999 Forester S 5MT 200,000 miles and counting.
1990 Legacy L Sedan AWD 5MT Retired at 369,471 Miles
mike-tracy

Re: Manual shifter issues

Post by mike-tracy »

Is it possible your shifter return spring is damaged or broken? When going into second, if you hold the shift knob more to the left does it go in easier?
1992 Legacy SS 5mt, build in progress
Josh Colombo wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2002 10:23 am Wait....I'm confused now.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Does you shifter flop around a lot, especially from side to side, when it's in gear. That's the tell-tale sign of worn-out shifter bushings.

It sounds more like your clutch is on its way out. How long ago did you replace it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Yes my shifter does flop around when in gear.

I'm not certain if it makes it easier shifting if I pull it farther to the left or not. Last night when I went on a store run I noticed it wasn't wanting to stay in 2nd. I'd go to put it into 2nd but if I didn't hold it in when releasing the clutch it would pop back out with some gear grinding.

I haven't replaced the clutch yet. I still have to get exhaust gaskets, a new flywheel, shifter bushings, rear main seal and valve cover gaskets before I get the trans out. This is my daily driver so I have to do this on the weekend and have all the parts I'll need before the operation.

The only spring I see in the diagram is the small one that's connected to the stay rod, is that the spring you're talking about Mike?
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

Yes
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Is it better to check that out from above or underneath? I've already got the console taken out in advance of my clutch job and I could unscrew the boot plate to look in but honestly I'd rather not tear into something that I'm not ready to fix yet.

It won't be easy for me to check out things because of little space and limited tools to work with that's why I'm asking which would be better.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

If you're about to remove your trans to do a clutch, that is the best time to do shifter bushings. It's a pain in the balls to do with the trans still in the car, especially if it's AWD.

This thread will help you visualize what kind of job it is.

I have to do it on my B4 soon and I am not looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

I would be replacing the bushings when I do the clutch but I was just wondering which way was easier to see the problem.
SUBYLUV871
Second Gear

Post by SUBYLUV871 »

I did new linkage, rod end and pitman arm. it feels like a rac car now. i used group n and cart boy bushings for a wrx. i did it when i pulled my tranny cause it went bad. i had a lift which made it alot better.
Cheep quality aint good, Good quality aint cheep
1998 legacy l wagon
1988 ford ranger prerunner (my baby
)
1994 legacy GT non turbo wagon
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Well I'm going to do what I can to get under it tonight and get a good look at it. Might even try to take the whole assembly out and really look it over.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

FundamentalyConfused wrote:I noticed it wasn't wanting to stay in 2nd. I'd go to put it into 2nd but if I didn't hold it in when releasing the clutch it would pop back out with some gear grinding.
just by this statement you need synchros. before spending all the money on all new stuff. to me, it seems like you need synchros. you can get a whole trans for 3-400 in good condition. but i wouldnt do all that work just to find out u have bad synchros.

id check that first before anything.
just my .02 cents.
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

How would I test for bad synchros? I took it to a trans shop about 8 months ago to see if they could diagnose why it was difficult to shift and they said they wouldn't be able to tell me anything without taking out the trans.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

as someone that went thru this back in the 90s with my 91 n/a 5sp. 5th gear would not stay in unless i held it or stay on the gas. once i let off the gas it would pop out indicating a synchro problem. its more costly to rebuilt it. just find another trans. also, the turbo trans are around the 400 price. you can probably get another n/a trans at the junkyard for about half that and at least you wont spend anything but time swapping it out. if it doesnt work, get another one. your still ahead on money spent to rebuild one. (taking into consideration you will be doing the work yourself)
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Well I'm going to try the clutch change first and see what that ends up with. I can hear my bearings howling badly now since I removed the shifter boot and cover pieces.

I knew I needed a clutch job done when I got the car but I haven't been able to afford the parts. I've been slowly buying pieces until I have all the parts that I need to do the job.

My hope is that my issue is just some bad shifter bushings and bad clutch & bearings but with over 300k miles on the body, engine was replaced but not sure if the trans was, theres going to be bad bushings all over but there could be a trans issue as well if it's the original.

I know the input shaft bearing could be going out on me too. How would I be able to tell after I get the trans out? Is there any wiggle to the thing allowed? What are the not so obvious signs I should be looking for?

I'm getting a bad feeling I might need a new trans but there's only 2 ways to tell. 1, replace the bad clutch and any bushings on the shifter or take the trans to a shop and let them at it. Then again I'd have to go through the painful process of taking the trans back out if it's not just the clutch and bushings.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

the trans on my 91 n/a started going at about 320ish. drove it to 350k when it spun a rod bearing.
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

After looking at the shifter bushings from underneath it looks like all of them are shot. I'm going to replace all the bushings when I do the clutch and see if the trans is still bad. Hopefully my federal taxes will come in this week and I'll be able to get started on this project.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

hope it works out for you bro. (basically, i hope im wrong)
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

I hope you're wrong too! lol j/k

I don't look forward to taking the trans back out if that's the problem but I don't want to spend the extra $ on it at this moment. Once I get all the new parts on it I'll see what I'm really working with and by that point I'll know exactly how to take that bastard out and the new one will go in quick.
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

The shifter handle came off in my hand today. Thankfully I was really close to home, that would have been a struggle shifting with that little nub. lol
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

let me guess. you have a rubber nub? ...lol. mine used to do that to. i shaved it off. cut down the rod (basically made my own shirt shifter...lol) and re welded the threads back on so i could use the stock knob... not to many options on modding back in the mid 90s when i had my 91...lol
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Yeah I have the rubber nub. It looked like the handle was half way off when I took the console off. Thankfully it happened after and not before. That would have been difficult to shift with that boot on!!
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

lol, when my shifter handle kept falling off i just used the nub (giggity) for a few months till i shortened it. (giggity, giggity)
FundamentalyConfused
First Gear

Oh thank you Subaru Gods!!

With my trusty vise grip and a cleaned shaft with brake cleaner it went back on!! That would have been a hellish ride into work tomorrow!!

Someone really jacked up the threads on the top of that shaft. I bet this happened b4 and that dude used a hammer and cut the mushroom off. Pretty soon my knob will be spinning free from those sharp cuts.

Man this repair list is growing daily.
sqc151
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by sqc151 »

get a raaco (i think thats what it called) short shifter or something. or change it to a wrx/rs shifter linkage so you can put a actual short shifter in if u want.
Someperson
Fourth Gear

Post by Someperson »

Ralco?
Blue 94GT dead and steadily parting out.
Silver 93 Fwd N/A sedan undergoing repairs
93 Winestone TW project
92 SS scrapped by my landlord...