Would like to lift

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Rembly
First Gear

Would like to lift

Post by Rembly »

Hey guys, Im looking to lift my 91 wagon with 97-99 outback struts which (from what i read) are plug and play. I have found a 98 outback at a yard with 121k. Id imagine the struts are original (only 100$), if so, how much more life do they have? or should i go brand new struts 400-600$?
also, i was going to try and find a 91 with less miles than mine to swoop newer springs off of in hopes of getting more life out of new set up.
I should use fresh 91 tophats right?

Also, what are the draw back of such a lift. This is my daily.
James614
Fourth Gear

Re: Would like to lift

Post by James614 »

I wouldn't worry about changing springs unless they are rusted. The shocks will blow, springs typically don't go unless you do some stuff that Subaru weren't meant to do anyways. As for used vs new struts, depends on if you think its worth the gamble to save money. Used ones could last a long time, or be blown when you put them on.

The draw back is that of you just lift the suspension, you increase the angle of the CV joints and they will wear a little faster
How much faster I can't say for sure. There are spacers for the front sub frame, transmission cradle and rear sub frame that correct this. Many people opt to just deal with somewhat faster CV wear.

Another drawback is your suspension geometry will be slightly off. Again, the frame spacers would normally correct this. The most pertinent change will be you'll gain positive camber. Of course, that can be adjusted out at the camber bolts.

Overall, as long as the camber is in check to prevent excess tire wear, I don't see a reason not to do it on your daily. I wanted to before I fell into this ej20g swap.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Rembly
First Gear

Post by Rembly »

Thank you for such an awesome response!

I just replaced CV joints 20k ago. so i guess if a jobs worth doing, its worth doing right. Where would I find such spacers?

And I was thinking about what an increased wheel base would do for me, good or bad. I like the idea of having my narly snow tires protruding .5-1in out of wheel well. Probably impractical but I can't help but dream!!

I know wheel spacers may provide desired effect but Ive been warned by tire guys not to use those. Any other known options?
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

Rembly you and I seem to have almost the SAME aspirations for our cars! I want an aggressive lifted stance. I can see it in my head but I have yet to figure out how to accomplish it properly!
The weirdest part is that your car is almost identical to my brother's which I have helped him create. Its lookin good:)

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk
James614
Fourth Gear

Post by James614 »

As far as where to get frame spacers, the Outbacks and Foresters use them so that's your best bet. I don't know the OEM part #s for them, and the only parts book I have is for the 90-94 Legacy. Did I mention the rear trailing arm mount is also longer? This helps keep the rear wheels centered in the wheel well, otherwise they will pull forward ever so slightly. A small detail most would never notice, but I'm sure your lateral link bushings do.

As for widening your stance (note what wheel base is a front-rear measurement, you are referring to wheel track), on Subarus your options are somewhat limited. Extending how far your tires sit from the hubs increases load on the wheel bearings
And our wheel bearings are no simply job to replace, so most advise not to mess with that too much.
93 Touring Wagon (EJ20G 5spd Swap) -- Finally back and running strong as ever!

05 Outback 2.5XT 5spd -- Now the wife can have her SUV and get in on the turbo Legacy goodness at the same time.
Rembly
First Gear

Post by Rembly »

Thanks Jamal, would love to see pics of your brothers car! Need to lift/stance properly or not at all, plus my 16' blizzak snow tires rub :(

Wheel track* noted thanks James. Everything I do to my car is a learning curve. Learning how much lil advised work is involved in properly lifting/ widening stance is no good. but I'm determined to lift. As far as widening my stance, are their any options to increase wheel bearing load capacity via upgrades or swaps
killajamal
First Gear

Post by killajamal »

I'll have to find some! Its coming along nicely; he's done a lot to it. I believe its the same color and he also has a pair of lgt wheels on there that I sold him.(for a super good deal since he's my brother!)
I'm pretty determined to lift as well. Not much but some. I want to be able to bushwhack more easily!

Sent from my XT897 using Tapatalk