i need engine help.!

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

i need engine help.!

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

i have three problems. 1. my car would not start after i did that vacuum bypass mod from DLC's site. i am still troubleshooting. 2. on the plug wires on top of the manifold, i only have numbers 1 and 2, which are the bottom left and bottom right. now, which one is #3 and #4? top right or top left?

iirc, you have to get the order right, or it won't start. btw, i did this after i realized that the car wouldn't start, this is not related to the other mod. i am just trying to put on some new ngk plugs and ngk wires. i did the fuel filter and next up is the oil filter and synthetic oil.

3. also, i am experiencing some hesitation at about 3-4k. it feels like someone is holding on to the back of the car. it is lagging. i don't have a boost gauge hooked up yet, so i can't monitor psi. i don't have a mbc either. i do have a k&n air filter and i removed the silencer in the fender. otherwise, i am almost stock. i heard from a friend it could be the knock sensor. anyone know?
thanks, aaron. :)
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

UPDATE: problem # 2 is fixed but problem #1 is not. my car will still not start even after i returned it to stock. i suspect an electrical problem, but not with the plugs and wires. i checked those and i checked all my vacuum connections. i also checked the fuel delivery and that is okay. i think it is the coil pack or maybe the ignitor. i am not sure. it will crank, but not turn over. it has been like this for 4 days now. can someone please help?

in the meantime, anyone know a fix for problem #3?

ps. i am going to have my freind who is a ex-subaru tech take a look at it.
thanks, aaron.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

2ND UPDATE: the car is now running, and problem #1 is gone. :o
does anyone know a fix for problem #3? i have tried the ground mod, but it didn't really make much of a difference.

Aaron.
eastbaysubaru
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by eastbaysubaru »

You should also add how you fixed each problem so the rest of us have some point of reference if we ever come across it. I would add some insight into your problem, but I'm no expert. Good luck.

-Brian
'04 PSM FXT
-K-
Third Gear

Cat clogged

Post by -K- »

Could be a bad cat (they're all bad) I can't wait to get rid of mine.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

well, i was told that an adjustment of the knock sensor would smooth things out, but have not had the time to do it yet. i have a chilton's subaru book and it had a ignition layout for subarus. if you count counterclock wise from bottom left, it goes 1,2,4,3. also, do i need dielectric grease in my spark plug boot? i just installed ngk plugs and wires.

the reason my car wouldn't start was an electrical problem. i ruled out fuel or vacuum system and also the new plugs and wires. i felt it was either the coilpack or the ignitor. well, i believe when i reconnected the ignitor harness, it didn't make a good connection. i am honestly not 100% sure why it would not start, but i am glad it did now.

ps, i am getting full catless turboback in the end of november.

-Aaron
Mark Ward
First Gear

Post by Mark Ward »

I would be checking all the wiring etc around where you did the modification, in case you knocked something loose. Second, Knock sensors can not be adjusted, just replaced. Did you say you have new spark plug wires?
Mark
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

yeah, i got new blue ngk wires. and ngk plugs. the problem is fixed now. but do i need dielectric grease in the boot of the plug wire? also, should i gap the plugs to .040 or leave them at pre-gap.? :)
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

it's a good idea to use di-electric grease......honestly.....I don't think I've ever used it on mine......

If the plugs are within factory specs I would just leave them, but do check every one!
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

thanks legacy777, i am getting some d-grease tomorrow along with a gapping tool. i also am going to switch to synthetic oil and make a custom short shifter. oh, what fun! :o
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

Aaron-

How many miles do you have on your car? If you're miles are really high, you may want to think twice about switching to synthetic. Or if you DO switch, have a set of gaskets and seals ready.

-Jason
-Jason Grahn
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

my car has 102,000 miles. :o
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Aaron's ! Me and 3 other guys here have the same prob as you (#3) ...

when the turbo push more than 9psi, up to 10psi (the more close we are from 10psi, the more "lag" or hesitation we experience) starting at 4000k, the car seems to be pulled back... blocked..

If i run under 9psi (dont go over 8psi) there is no problem at all

I did a Compression test on the engine, 150psi all around..

I did a "injector cleanup" (last resort)... no changes...

We have realy no ideas of what the problem is, since we are no experts..

Things i have in mind :
1- Lack of gaz ? on my Air/Fuel gauge there is almost always 2 leds Orange 2 Leds green

2- Ignition.. bad Wires ? i checked them and they were bad.. (sparks was going from wire to wire) .. changed them, nothing changed.

3- Ignition .. Plugs ? I have Bosh Platinum H4 in the car, seems that those are crap for performance... i will change them for standard ones, or the "iridium" ones... Is the gap on those are too big ?? spark not powerfull or fast enought ?

4- MAF or O2 sensor problem ? O2 not working well ? there again i should be able to read a bad mixture on my Air/Fuel Gauge ?

5- Ecu shutting off the gaz ? It should be more brutal that just that "hezitation" we feel ?

6- Blocked Cat con ? maybe it cannot flow the air at 9psi+++ and that's what causing the problem... i am getting a full TurboBack exaust no cat, 3"downpipe, 2.5" reso+muffler+line in 1-2 months...

7- I'm out of ideas... we realy need expert help :)

Thanks for posting any developpement concerning this MAJOR problem :) as I will do if i find something.
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Some comments on your ideas.

Plugs....like you said....swap out those bosch plugs. If you don't mind chaning them on a regular schedule......just put the standard copper plugs in, and set gap to manufacturer's specs.

MAF.....I doubt the MAF would have any things to do with this.....is you intake tract stock?

blocked cat is a possibility.....let us know what you find out when you put the exhaust on.

Other possibility which you didn't mention is knock sensor. There has been a new version that has come out. It has a gray plug, rather then white......or vice versa....don't reemember.

It could be that....when you are over 8 psi....the engine makes some more noise....whether it be actual pre-ignition or extra noise.....not sure.....but the knock sensor could be picking that up, and pull back timing.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

NGK G-Power Platinum are now in my pokets (not to expensive.. 7$CAD for 2) ... I just cant wait to install them to see if i will finaly get rid of that _INCREDIBLY ANOIING_ problem...
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Then yesterday i changed my plugs, and discovered that the guy who sold me the car was lying ....

there was El Cheapos Bosh plugs in it, pretty dark/brown ... gaped to .045" ...

changed them for NGK G-Power platinum, gaped to 0.035" ....

my hesitation/lag/turbopushingfornothing feeling is still there over 9psi .. :\

so next step, Complete exaust change.

i'm so tired of that $?#%&*? Problem.....
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

your gap is too small. it should be .039 -.041. btw, my hesitation still exists. i am going to get a egt and a/f gauge along with a apexi S-afc and tune the fuel settings.
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

i dont think that a small gap could cause problem.. ok to small is not good, but .035 vs 0.039 ... 0.04" ... :)

my friend who have a STIV2 is gapped to 0.025" and runs great even when he unboost his car to 6psi :)
morgie
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Problem Allmost solved after changing the knock sensor

viewtopic.php?t=50

.. but at 10psi i can still feel a little restriction problem.. but nothing like what it was before changing the Knock Sensor...

i'll still change my exaust and... i cant wait to see the results, but it's looking good ;)
morgie
billc
In Neutral

Post by billc »

It looks like I was a little to late in posting, but with my experience with the ej22t it sounds like your ecu is retarding timing due to detonation. You have probably got the updated knock sensor now(gray plug) and that solved most of your probs.I had similar problems in the past,I regret I didnt read this topic sooner.Intercooler and exaust should help above 10 psi. Good luck, BillC :)
93 Sport Sedan,3 kids,no time
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

This confuses me now ...

on the other post people are saying that the updated sensor has white plug, and other say it's grey ..

The one i just bought have a white plug ... and the one that was on the car have a Grey plug...

is the "part guy" at my dealership was giving me an old version of the sensor or is the plug color may vary, not depending on the version of sensor ?

i'll call him back tomorroy to know if he doesn't have a grey plug sensor. thanx
morgie
joe002
In Neutral

Knock Sensor

Post by joe002 »

I just replaced my knock sensor. The new sensor is White, so you have the new one. Here’s the TSB that someone gave me that gives more info on it (also, did you reset your computer after you installed the new sensor? Maybe it still partially remembers the readings from your old bad sensor): http://members.tripod.com/quick_svx/TSB ... 48280.html
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

oh, forgot to do that, i'll do it this evening :)

thanx ! glad to see that i have the good one.. hehe
morgie