turbonator??

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

import_freak
First Gear

turbonator??

Post by import_freak »

http://www.turbonator.com
I've seen these things advertised on TV and i've always thought they were pretty much a joke. So i was wondering, what does everyone else think about them?
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The worst part about it is that they stole the idea from the "Tornado Fuel Saver" as seen on TV
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

Technically this thing should work, but only on carburated engines where the path between the point where fuel is introduced and the combustion chamber is relatively long. There's not much benefit to swirl the air when the fuel is injected near the combustion chamber.

Besides I think my turbo does a hell of a lot better job than that thing :lol:

my $0.02
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by 91White-T »

intake restriction aplenty
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

91White-T wrote:intake restriction aplenty
Yep. If this thing works, that would be very very odd.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I would believe that it helps on a few cars.

Some cars have dreadful intake systems from the factory. A guy I know once hooked up a pressure gauge to the intake manifold on his car (I can't remember exactly what the car was -- it was a late-model American V6 or V8, maybe a Chrysler LHS or a Cadillac Seville) and at full throttle he measured several psi of vacuum.

It's plausible that adding a little tumble to an intake that's already very restrictive anyway might help rather than hurt things.

'Course, gaining 35hp and 31% better mileage is an absurd claim, and the way they state it shows they don't respect potential customers at all even if their product has a shred of merit. And why don't they specify the terms of their warranty on the web page?

And the concept of putting one of these before the throttle body of a turbocharged vehicle as they recommend makes me cringe.

I love how one of their testimonials has a guy saying his car now feels like it has a turbocharger.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
import_freak
First Gear

Post by import_freak »

I find it funny when you read all the testimonials how peaople are like "right away i noticed a 20HP difference". Ya right like youre going to actually be able to tell. Besides it was probably more like 19HP. :lol: :lol:
93 legacy turbo sedan
00 jeep wrangler
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

vrg3 wrote:I love how one of their testimonials has a guy saying his car now feels like it has a turbocharger.
maybe he means turbo-lag :D
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

ahem, garbage...

Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

import_freak wrote:I find it funny when you read all the testimonials how peaople are like "right away i noticed a 20HP difference". Ya right like youre going to actually be able to tell. Besides it was probably more like 19HP. :lol: :lol:
:lol:
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
970subaru
First Gear

Post by 970subaru »

wish they would put a dyno sheet on the site. oh wait, that would prove that the thing is the answer to a question nobody asked. :roll:
I love to case.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

That's why it pays to be educated. Combustion chamber swirl is a function of head design and cam timing. All that thing could do is restrict airflow and disrupt intake pulse tuning. I don't even see how it can help fuel atomization.

This thing appeals to idiots and conspiracy theorists who still believe there's a 100 mpg carburetor design that the big 3 and the oil companies suppressed.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Steve - But fuel is injected in the manifold, not in the combustion chamber. That's why Subaru puts tumble generator valves on its new manifolds.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Wouldn't that be for better fuel atomization as there's no real space along the intake path for the fuel to mix with the air (like in a carburetted engine)? The turbulence generated would help that, I would guess. They work like throttle plates, right? It may be an attempt to optimize tuning for high and low rpms. Any final swirl is a function of internal cylinder design (piston and head shape, valve placement & size) and valve ports - any outside factors would have minimal affect at best on final charge behavior. If you look at direct injection engines, lean burn, or stratified charge engine designs you'll get a good (if maybe extreme) picture of this at work.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I understand what you're saying about the in-cylinder swirl... The reverse tumble in the combustion chamber of a GDI engine is what the swirl-in-the-manifold systems try to crudely approximate, I think.

From my understanding, yes, the TGVs are a bit like small throttle plates. They're basically big restrictions in the intake runner that force the air to go around them, creating swirl that helps the make the air/fuel mixture more homegenous. They open up when the motor's not idling.

The concept seems similar to a Turbonator, except that the location of the restriction is completely different.
ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

I always assumed the function of the tumble generator was to decrease the runner size.

They look like a throttle plae with half missing, just upstream of the injectors. They are intended ONLY for emissions and have nothing to do with extra power. They are totally shut until 3000 RPM. Or in other words you have tiny intake runners at low rpm and larger free flowing units at high.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

:lol: I find it amusing that we're actually seriously discussing the effect of this device. But it is interesting. I agree that in theory it could help mix fuel/air, but it would need to be fitted properly match engine and manifold design if it were to have an effect. The tumble generators are also variable, aren't they? So at best with a lucky match this thing would help mix fuel/air over a small band of rpm - providing it's restriction doesn't also interfere with the optimized rpm band of the particular manifold's pulse tuning and cancel out any benefit. Then, too, the car isn't going to be aware of any change in mixture and so would not use less fuel or optimize timing, etc to take advantage anyway. I would conceded that MAYBE it could pick up a HP at best at one spot on the rpm range, but would hurt at others and be a problem at high rpms.

Steve
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I can only fathom it improving fuel economy at idle... I can't believe it improves power. But it's easy to trick yourself into perceiving a nonexistent power increase. It's harder to imagine see an increase in fuel economy.

Here's some info from Subaru on TGVs: http://www.drivesubaru.com/Win03_Manifold.htm