Parrallel Fuel Mod...??

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

georryan
Fourth Gear

Parrallel Fuel Mod...??

Post by georryan »

I looked and couldn't find anything on it, so I hope I'm not out of line in asking this.... :)

What is this parrallel fuel mod exactly? How does it work in relation to the way our current fuel injection works? How does it increase power?
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

from scoobymods:
Reasons Behind The Modification:

1. Current system on the Impreza runs in series, mod will convert to parallel

2. No one injector will get less fuel then another one

3. The 3 rd chamber will not run lean as it always has in the past

4. Highly recommended mod for people building up a Turbo for their Impreza.

5. We think you get a little bit of Hp increase but we can not prove it

6. It’s cheap and fun
The Site

mk
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Basically it's a safety measure to prevent the last cylinder in the fuel rails from getting less fuel than all the others, thus preventing a premature failure in that cylinder.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
georryan
Fourth Gear

Post by georryan »

ah thanks.
91 Pearl White Sport Sedan
04 Java Black Pearl Forester XT
2014 Volvo S60 T5
18 KTM 1290 Adventure S

87 Grey GL-10 Sedan (so long old buddy) - donated
97 Toyota 4Runner SR5 - sold
2002 BMW r1150rt-p - sold
2004 BMW r1200ST - sold
2016 BMW r1200RS - sold
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'm not sure if the procedure on scooby mods is exactly correct for our cars. I have been looking at it, and seeing how to do that on my car. The big hiccup is the weapon-r adapter he talks about. I can't find that anywhere, nor any mention of it.

If you can leave the stock fpr in it's orig location, then you couple probably rig something up that would work. I'm waiting for Rod to finish his up, and see how it looks, and I will probably do mine when I take the intake manifold off to do the injector work I need, and to replace the gaskets.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

I also wasn't able to find the weapon R adapter, but it shouldn't be hard to attach a hose. Once i take off the intake manifold and poke around a bit i'll know for sure how it goes.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

if you leave the stock fpr in it's location, yeah it's easy to attach a hose, but if you remove it, then it becomes more difficult.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

BUMP!

I mean, so how would you leave the stock frp inline and still have it setup in a parallel fashion? Also just to be sure it's not completely parallel. From how it was reading and the pictures it looked like injectors 2/4 and 1/3 were still in series with each other. Is that right? I'm almost confused about how he did the lines, it looks like he has it setup so it comes from the filter, then t's to 2 and 1, then that follows the rails through to 4 and 3 (could be backwards on that). which then ts back to the fpr and flows back to the tank. Would it matter which way the fuel entered the rails? Like since the stock setup has it entering 4 first and exiting 2, then entering 1 first and exiting 3 would it be harmful to anything if it were to enter 2 first and exit 4, or enter 3 first and exit 1? I assume the vacuum hose is for the CPS valve, is thtat right?

also as far as the fpr adapter, go here: http://www.weapon-r.com/ then power>racing performance>fuel pressure regulator, then scroll down a bit. There isn't one for subaru but the nissan one might fit.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I think you have the flow paths right. You do end up with two series pairs of injectors which are in parallel. Uh, yeah, that's not an abuse of the English language.

I don't think it matters which way the fuel flows through the rail.

I know from experience that a 94 Nissal Altima FPR bolts right onto a 92 non-turbo Legacy passenger side fuel rail. The hose barb comes off at a different angle, but that doesn't matter; the Nissan adapter should work fine.

I don't know what you mean about the vacuum hoses... Both the FPR and the CPS have vacuum hoses going to them, but the CPS' doesn't go to the intake manifold; it goes on top of the throttle body.

Wait a minute... I have a question.

Isn't our fuel injection system sequential? With sequential port fuel injection on a 4-cylinder 4-stroke engine, only one fuel injector should be open at a time, right? Then why should the series setup matter?

Does our system switch to nonsequential at high RPMs like some other cars? Or is this parallel fuel rail mod only important for people who have switched to nonsequential aftermarket ECUs? What am I missing?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

I am only running 1 rising rate fuel pressure reg and 2 driver side fuel rails (modified of course :wink:) I'll post up pics of how the finished product looks......
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4
TDGKORN
First Gear

Post by TDGKORN »

vrg3 wrote:
Wait a minute... I have a question.

Isn't our fuel injection system sequential? With sequential port fuel injection on a 4-cylinder 4-stroke engine, only one fuel injector should be open at a time, right? Then why should the series setup matter?

Does our system switch to nonsequential at high RPMs like some other cars? Or is this parallel fuel rail mod only important for people who have switched to nonsequential aftermarket ECUs? What am I missing?
I'm with you vrg3 I thought we are sequential so it didn't matter.
92 legacy ss 4eat
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

It needs to have atleast 2 open right?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

so how different is the Impreza's mod instructions from what we'd actually have to do on the Legacy?
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

Guys.......I looked into this.....the write up really won't work.....the big thing is because of that weapon r adapter.

If I were going to do it, I would do as rsstiboy mentioned. Use two driver's side rails. Get a piece of an extra set of fuel rails that you bolt to the rail in the rear (where the fpr was). Repipe the fuel lines with rubber fuel hose, so that each open end of the fuel rails come to a barbed T. So you now have two inlet points.

Use an adj fpr with two outlets, and just run fuel hose from the fpr to the two inlets.

Simple....and effective. Reason I didn't do it....didn't have an extra set of fuel rails and lines laying around.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

for the vacuum line I meant what did he need it for in the list. As for the sequential thing. I had thought that since the #3 cyl was the farthest from the fuel source it ran lean, but that sounds kinda like a fpr issue now that I think about it, doesnt it?

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

I think #3 going lean because its the furthest down the line from the fuel source.... is a reason. It's not the only reason though. I doubt that just happens simply because its the furthest down the line. I think a clogged fuel filter or failing fuel pump would probably begin to manifest itself by not being able to always get fuel to #3, which causes a more serious problem before the filter completely clogs or the pump completely fails.

Am I making sense, or am I talking from my other oriface again?

- any of you guys with lean #3's, did you have a fuel pressure gauge goin? Did you notice it dropping, not able to keep up sometimes? My fuel pressure gauge is goin in soon I hopes.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I've replaced fuel filters before and they always manifested themselves with hesitation. The fuel pump could be going on mine as it's original. I don't know if there's some way to see if it's another issue instead.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Not sure which cyl it is, but there are too many cases of that same cylinder always going lean and ruining the engine to overlook the possibility.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

it's generaly #3

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Why would it matter that it's "furthest from the source" though, if only one injector is open at a time anyway?

It's closest to the regulator. Should that matter?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Fact is, it happens, cyl goes lean and piston is destroyed. When parallel rails are installed, it is gone. Explain that?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

thats what i was wondering. it sounds like a fpr thing. But then again if the pump couldnt keep up, like say it needed to send out 100 units of fuel, but could only pump 80 units, wouldnt that affect all the injectors? Like there would be less pressure all ariound instead of less in one cyl. It might make more sense to find out what the other cyls fuel pressure/af ratio/ something is before just assuming it's the problem. hell it could be an oil thing, or a cooling thing, or it could be a combonation of a lot of things.

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I'd say it's a combo of a lot of things.

You can say that cylinder is going lean....but if you got a pump that can't supply adequate fuel flow and maintain proper pressures then how can you blame the fuel rail setup?

If you really wanted to scientific about it, you would need to get pressure readings at multiple points on the rail. You'd probably also want to do this before and after adding a larger pump to see if that has any affect If after the larger pump it doesn't seem to affect things, then I would say it's the rails, and possibly could be some sort of pulsation where the #3 cylinder doesn't get the proper amount of fuel. In which case redoing the fuel rails would solve the problem.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

rsstiboy
Second Gear

Post by rsstiboy »

Ideally I wanted fuel entry points at BOTH ends of each rail, just for extra security, but running 4 fuel lines and 3 t pieces just wasn't gonna happen, so I opted for the way I went.
MY02 B4 Liberty, 2 1/2" off the primary with splitter, 3" off the secondary, 3" the rest of the way, completely stainless, k&n filter, ECUtek 3, 500HP walbro, 173kw@all4