Magnaflow

Headers, cats, uppipes, downpipes, midpipes and mufflers.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Flip_x
Second Gear

Post by Flip_x »

it doesnt look like it use bearings,
1990 Legacy Sedan LS AWD 5-MT 162k miles Slate Metallic (Sold to Brother)

1992 Legacy SS AWD 5-MT 180k miles Mica Black
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

:lol:
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

vrg3 wrote:Oh, and a neat tip -- if you do decide to replace the bearing, or if the new muffler you get doesn't already have the bearing installed, you can use turn signal fluid as an assembly lube to help slide the bearing in place without putting too much force on the muffler's pinion gear.
It's funny you should mention the blinker fluid. A friend of mine ran out of blinker fluid in his 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee. He said it was a huge mess. Bulbs overheated and cracked the housings, the car started to overheat and smoke, he did around $1400 in damages. It appears that Blinker Fluid is a multipurpose fluid, that not only cools and lubricates the intricate workings of the turn signals, but also allows parasitic cooling of the o-pipe I had mentioned earlier.

I was at pep-boys earlier, I should have picked up a new set of balanced/knife edged billet aluminum muffler bearings. My "new" exhaust is about a year old, so it couldn't hurt to replace them. The billet units are worth the NVH that come with them. BIG advantage over standard loose-ball style bearings. Some companies cheap out and use muffler bushings, unbelievable.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
kidatari
Second Gear

Post by kidatari »

Muffler bushings?! That's blasphemy!
[size=75]91 Perl White 5MT Legacy Sport Sedan[/size]
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

flip: it doesn't, ignore about everything after the first 8 replies, as it is pointless banter

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

Flip...we aren’t crackin on ya. Just trying to have fun with the subject :oops:
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
02 WRX - lightly modded (Gone but not forgotten)
Flip_x
Second Gear

Post by Flip_x »

i know it was all bs. thats why i said this is funny.

vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Phil - Yeah, blinker fluid is definitely responsible for a lot of stuff in the car. Like brake fluid, it's never serviced as often as it should be. People are afraid to touch it because they're afraid of contaminating it since it absorbs oils and they slowly ruin it by turning it into acid. Which is worse -- an overheating O-pipe, or an O-pipe being eaten away by acid? 'course, all you need to do is make use of ethanol/brake cleaner/whatever and wear gloves...

Bushings? Do you mean bronze bearings?

Oh, and Phil, I'm glad you didn't buy those aluminum billet bearings. Despite what their marketers claim, they're not better. Ricers just think they're really cool because of how they look. Stainless steel ball bearings do work better in every regard (except for price of manufacture, but that's irrelevant since the aluminum bearing manufacturers inflate the price to make ricers think they're better). I don't know what you mean by "loose-ball style bearings;" proper muffler bearings have very tight ball-to-race tolerances. People think they're loose usually because they've seen some that weren't lubed with the technetium grease and so they got all scored up and stuff.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

Technetium grease is very interesting stuff. When mixed with rubbing alcohol it makes great solvent!! This is how I clean my brake rotors. This compound eats all the rust and smoothes out the microscopic cracks caused by the heat up/cool down cycle. It seems to be ABS sensor safe as well.

BTW - Does anyone know of a company putting out stainless ABS lines to match stainless brake lines? That would look tits.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

You guys should work for Firestone or someone and rip off customers by talking bullshit.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Dude, did you guys see the new Full-Synthetic blinker fluid! This stuff is crazy. It last up to 10 times longer then the normal stuff and and if you T into the line going to the rear passenger side blinker you can run it through your shift knob! No more hot shift knob on sunny days! Wooohooo

Oh, and personally I've got those TXS Ti muffler bearings. Full Titanium is the way to go. I might upgrade to the ones with the Graphite Composite covers but the $3k price tag is a little steep IMO. I heard they are working on a TXS Ti with Liquid Metal Technolegy muffler bearings and may release them as early as spring 2005. I've got my fingers crossed for sure and if I get them I'll definitely do a DIY install write up for the rest of you. :D
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I used to use technetium grease and isopropanol together as a solvent like you say, Dan, until I read about studies that showed that it's incredibly carcinogenic. Remember all those unexplained cases of ear cancer in mechanics back before Brakleen was invented? Turns out you inhale the technetium/isopropanol fumes and they travel through your sinuses and react with the cells in your ears. Crazy double bonds and stuff make it exceptionally reactive. I suppose you could just take care to ensure really good ventilation, but it's not worth it.

Oh yeah, Matt, I did read about that stuff. It's supposed to have like 200 times the thermal capacity of standard turn signal fluid or something, so it, like, never gets hot even if you use a really tiny radiator for it. That's really clever to run it through the shift knob... I wonder if you could do the same for the steering wheel. My black leather-wrapped shifter and wheel get really hard to deal with on hot sunny days.

"Liquid Metal Technology?" Sounds like marketing gibberish to me. Kinda like "blast processing." If you do buy them and want help installing them, though, I'll help.

Dan -- seriously -- You can order long stainless steel brake lines from Earl's, I'm pretty sure. Measure out the length you need and call up an Earl's dealer with the info. Most of the fittings are M10x1.0mm inverted flare, I believe. You might need to get hose and put the fittings on yourself, or get hose with AN fittings and then get adapters. You'll probably also need to be wealthy.

Steve - But then I'd be part of one of the groups of people on Earth I most hate: marketers.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

vrg3 wrote: "Liquid Metal Technology?" Sounds like marketing gibberish to me. Kinda like "blast processing." If you do buy them and want help installing them, though, I'll help.
Don't be hating the liquid metal technology OR [arnold voice on] "you will get terminated".

http://www.debevec.org/ReflectionMappin ... _small.tif

I have WRX SS line to install, but am too lazt these days :roll:
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

evolutionmovement wrote:You guys should work for Firestone or someone and rip off customers by talking bullshit.

Steve
I'm from chicago...of course i'm a BS artist.
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

wtf? I'm lost... turn signal fluid? mufflers have friggin' bearings? huge wtf! i'm -- -- --- *gasps* ----- eh, --- uh --- what??? turn signals are electric. where does the fluid come in? mufflers are pipes and don't move. what are these bearings? ack! vikash, if you're joking, please clue us in. I for one take your word as bond. stop messing with my mind! please!
-=tristan
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

We're all joking, Tristan. :lol:
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Can anyone explain to me why this thread wasn't locked a long time ago?

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

MK - Maybe because some of us actually care about proper muffler bearing and turn signal fluid maintenance. :roll:
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

OMG... :lol: seriously... I'm so gullible sometimes.. :oops: but really, the more i think about it, the more ridiculous it is, hence, it becomes pretty humourous. (and yes, I DID want to spell it the UK way, biatch.)

you guys rock,

-=tris
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
WRXdan
Second Gear

Post by WRXdan »

MK- we are just have a little fun. Relax....jokes keep things interesting.

I'm going to get my brother on the muffler bearing trick this weekend. I will have him call the parts store to ask for a 1992 sentra muffler bearing:)
92 Turbo Legacy 4EAT
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

You can have him explain that he needs it because his fender is overheating.
Flip_x
Second Gear

Post by Flip_x »

LOL thats messed, i should do that to my bro haha.

mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Fun it may be, but several other 'fun' threads have been closed..

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

WRXdan wrote:
I'm going to get my brother on the muffler bearing trick this weekend. I will have him call the parts store to ask for a 1992 sentra muffler bearing:)
:lol: :lol: :lol: OMG that would be soooo funny!
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

greatest thread ever. People are going to think we are all fucking nuts (moreso).

Vikash - I don't know if THIS was serious, but Sealed bearings = Cartridge, Loose Ball = Caged, reguardless of tolerance.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]