HELP>>>Steering/accel-decel problem

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

dreamdefier
In Neutral

HELP>>>Steering/accel-decel problem

Post by dreamdefier »

ok, heres the deal. When i accelerate, the car pulls right, and when I brake, the car pulls left. When remaining at a constant, the steering wheel must be kept about 3 degrees left of the normal straight steering wheel, just to keep the car going straight. I just bought this car, and the dealer had new tires put on it. Could it just need an alignment or is there something else there that needs worked on?? The car was sold as is, so I'm hoping that its nothing major. Anyways, please let me know :(
93 Legacy 25th Anniv. Edition
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Well, it definitely needs an alignment, so it'd be a good place to start... find a well-qualified place that will perform the alignment and also inspect the entire suspension to see if anything's in bad shape.

I don't understand our cars' suspension fully, but it might be that you have a troublesome tie rod, tie rod end, or ball joint.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
dreamdefier
In Neutral

Post by dreamdefier »

That's pretty much what I was figuring too. I don't have experience with subaru's yet, I was used to volkswagens. So I wanted to make sure that there weren't any known cases of this commonly occurring before spending the money, when it could be an easy fix. So, I'll have it aligned this week, and keep everyone notified of whats up.
dreamdefier
In Neutral

Post by dreamdefier »

Alright, I was wondering if the pulling to the right could be caused by the awd?? Is there any chance of that, the suspension seems to check out, it all looks good, the car is aligned. So I'm stuck with a problem. I don't know.
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I can't see how the AWD system could cause that to happen.

If the brakes were catching it could cause the car to pull to the side, but it's hard to imagine it happening in such a way as to make it pull one way while accelerating and the other way while decelerating.

Did the place that did the alignment inspect every part of the suspension? I feel like it's gotta be an uncontrolled change in toe.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Bosco
Second Gear

Post by Bosco »

When i accelerate, the car pulls right, and when I brake, the car pulls left. When remaining at a constant, the steering wheel must be kept about 3 degrees left of the normal straight steering wheel, just to keep the car going straight.
The only time my car ever did that was when I had a broken control arm a couple weeks ago....
UM... you'd know if you had one of those... Big crunching noises during almost any manuvering.

Well, Does it have ANY other symptoms?
Does the wheel shimmy or vibrate when going straight?
Do the new tires that are on it actually all look okay and match?
Any other noises that could be associated with this? (maybe when turning)
Is it any worse or any better at higher or lower speeds?
How about wheel bearings?

I dunno, I don't really know much about cars. I just figure the more info you throw out here, the better chance someone will pick up on something...
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - 5MT Swapped and now with 100% less turbo!
02 Legacy L wagon - Auto
92 Legacy L fwd auto
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Did they check the balljoints, too? Could also be tie rod/steering rack related. Definitely sounds like a toe issue.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

dreamdefier wrote:Alright, I was wondering if the pulling to the right could be caused by the awd?? Is there any chance of that, the suspension seems to check out, it all looks good, the car is aligned. So I'm stuck with a problem. I don't know.
One of the nice features of AWD is that you don't have the torque steer that most front wheel drive vehicles have. Put your right foot down and the car goes where you point it.

As far as your symptoms are concerned: it sounds similar to a problem that my friend had in his Impreza wagon when he put his struts back together wrong. I believe there was a domed washer in the top mount that was in upside down. Something like that. Caused the car to pull in one direction, then in the other direction during different dynamic situations.

Alliteration aside, it sounds like something in the suspension or steering.
Last edited by ultrasonic on Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
dreamdefier
In Neutral

Post by dreamdefier »

Ok, i took the car to a different shop, and found out that the problem was with my tie rod. So the tie rod was replaced, and now I have no problems at all with the steering. Thanks for all the input though.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

ultrasonic wrote:One of the nice features of AWD is that you have the torque steer that most front wheel drive vehicles have. Put your right foot down and the car goes where you point it.
That isn't what torque steer is.

Torque steer in a FWD car is when you smash the gas, and the car jumps in one direction or another. Equal length shafts help prevent this, but it's the diff unloading to one side that causes erratic straight line acceleration.

AWD cars don't have this. I can launch and never have a torque steer problem. Any equal power FWD car, and I'd be fighting for control.

Point and shoot, yes. Torque steer, not likely.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

The matched driveshaft lengths help significantly - my car has virtually no torque steer unless there's extremely messed up pavement and I launch it. Torque steer is one of the reasons I hate fwd. I like the car to follow my commands, not do waht it wants. Call me a control freak.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

yeah they help, but it doesnt completely get rid of it. My car is living proof of that :(
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
mTk
no title

Post by mTk »

Yeap, AWD and equal length shafts definitely help, but do not completely eliminate torque steer.

MK
1992 BC672 AWD 5MT
ultrasonic
Third Gear

Post by ultrasonic »

BAC5.2 wrote:
ultrasonic wrote:One of the nice features of AWD is that you have the torque steer that most front wheel drive vehicles have. Put your right foot down and the car goes where you point it.
Torque steer in a FWD car is when you smash the gas, and the car jumps in one direction or another. Equal length shafts help prevent this, but it's the diff unloading to one side that causes erratic straight line acceleration.
Oh man, I know that, I just mistyped... there should have been the word "don't' in there. My bad. I'll even go back and put the word where it's supposed to be in my original post.

You dont' think I call torque steer a "nice feature" do you?

I've driven enough FWD to know what torque steer is. Speaking of which, you should check a current Cadillac. Northstar V8 + FWD = gobs of torque steer.
-steve-

03 Legacy L Wagon
91 Legacy Sport Sedan - SOLD
94 Legacy Touring Wagon - SOLD
00 Impreza L Sport Wagon - totaled!
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

I think that's why most companies are returning to RWD or (if cost is less an issue) AWD. Most cars have to much power today for FWD. I test drove a Maxima SE before I bought my Legacy and it was a great car except for the (I think unacceptable) torque steer. If that thing had been RWD ... Well, I guess it would be something like the G35 now.

Steve
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

or like the 300zx seeing as how that's all it is, just nerfed a bit power wise.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

ultrasonic wrote:Oh man, I know that, I just mistyped... there should have been the word "don't' in there. My bad. I'll even go back and put the word where it's supposed to be in my original post.

You dont' think I call torque steer a "nice feature" do you?

I've driven enough FWD to know what torque steer is. Speaking of which, you should check a current Cadillac. Northstar V8 + FWD = gobs of torque steer.
Figured as much, lol. No worries!

Drive a new caddy? Drive a new GTP! Total torque steer.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]