umm I need help quick (engine rebuild first time start up)

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

magicmike
Fifth Gear

umm I need help quick (engine rebuild first time start up)

Post by magicmike »

Hey,

I got my engine running finally for the first time. Now, I primed the oil pump by cranking over the engine with the plugs out and the fuel pump disconnected. so when it finally started (it turned over probably like less than 10 times) it was running no prob. BUT it is loud as hell. It sounds like a fucking diesel engine. I'm guessing its the lifter clank we all have seen in the past. but my question is, when breaking in an engine that has been rebuilt, is this common for it to be loud? Do you think it will go away once it breaks in a little? I'm scared to run the engine

-Mike
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Didja bleed the lifters when assembling the heads? Maybe you should.

I think when Steve (evolutionmovement) first started his rebuilt EJ22T block he also said it had a lot of clattering that slowly faded.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Umm bleed the lifters....I dont know if my guy did that. I also realized that its low on fuel and its the same gas sitting in there for almost 2 years now. Maybe that could be doing something. I remember my 87 GL would start to get loud when it got low on gas
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

I dont know if two year old gas is "bad" for the engine, but it certainly is about the crappiest way to start the engine off I can think of barring starting the engine with no oil.

That aside, the clatter is the lifters. It takes awhile for them to fill back up with oil but they do and the sound goes away. I had the same noise when I had my heads rebuilt.

Did you install new rings? If you did, you are supposed to go to a non populated driving area where you can accelerate up to 50 mph or so and then let off the gas, repeat about 10 times. DO NOT follow my instructions completely, I am repeating what I REMEMBER, not what I know for sure. I read this in my Chiltons manual.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I read to do a 0-30 a few times which I did, to seat the new rings. Yeah, I had the whole engine rebuilt. new pistons, rings, head work. Well it was funny, I was shooting up and down my street with no hood no bumber cover and no fender on the car, oh yeah, and no plates and reg. the loud valve noise went away but now I'm confused, I could only hear the turbo spool when I totally floored itand the car was going over likr 30-40. is this normal. The car seems pretty week if you ask me. but I have never driven it while it was working. I dont know if it will be better when I get it on the road. I hope to god I havent spent almost 4 grand on this thing and its not even quicker than my infiniti......I'm guessing I need to break it in some more or something... I dont know
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

I rebuilt/resealed my XT's oil pump, and even after spinning the timing belt around it to prime it, and cranking it for 30 seconds with the coil wire pulled, I still had tapping valves for about 5 minutes while the oil found where to go...

Mike, if your car is stock, remember it's only running 8.7lbs, through a 4EAT, in a wagon. IC it and up the boost and you'll change your tune for sure. And don't forget to be easy on the new engine for a while ;)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
douglas vincent
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by douglas vincent »

Setting your rings, and flooring it around your neighborhood dont go hand in hand. Trying to reach max boost with <10 miles on the engine and bad gas are a bad idea, and I know bad ideas.
Reddevil, Awaiting new heart, will it ever happen?
1990 wagon, EJ25 12.3 @ 116.5 FAST Family wagon getting new motor soon
1992 wagon, wifes daily, high compression
1992 Touring wagon, should I keep it?
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I was by no means beating on the engine. I was only surprised that I could not hear nor feel the turbo at all. I'm going to get the hood on tonight along with the fender and bumper cover. then I can throw some plates on it and go for a short drive rather than short shots up anf down my street. Oh and I ran to the shell station last night and bought a gallon of premium.

-Mike
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Please, replace your fuel !!

or at least buy some "fuel restorer" or something .. hehe

valve sound was probably the Lifters, and by now they got filled with oil. so no sound anymore.

For your weak performance, verify that all injectors are properly connected and working.. also verify the plugs :)
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I'm going to take it out to night to fill it up with some new fuel. I also got an autometer boost gage last night and got it hooked up. I noticed that I am not getting hardly any boost. If I rev the engine and hold it at say 4 grand, the boost never rises. If driving however, I did see it go to about 5lbs. This was under semi hard accel, NOT FLOORED. I'm concerned that the VF34 just doesn't have enough exhaust velocity moving through it to creat boost. I'm going to check for leaks tonigh but I'm pretty sure there arent any. Is it normal to not get any boost with the car parked?

-Mike
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Are you familiar with driving turbocharged engines? You can't make boost in the manifold unless the engine is loaded. If I floor the pedal while parked, I get a split-second of boost before I have to let go because I'm reaching redline.

Think of it this way -- you only make boost when you need boost to do what you're trying to do. That is, when you're trying to accelerate faster than your engine could without a turbo, or if you're trying to maintain a speed higher than your engine could without a turbo.

So far what you've described sounds okay.

But -- you were boosting on 2-year-old fuel?!
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Well that what I was thinking myself, but I had thought that it didn't matter because the boost was controlled by the exhaust gas speed (flow) And yes yes I'm getting good gas tonight. All other things aside, the engine sounds and runs very strong. it was just the lack of boost that I was worried about. I can feel the torque as well.

-Mike
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Boost is indeed powered by exhaust gases, but it never gets to the intake manifold if it's going through a closed throttle plate.

I think your engine and turbo are in all likelihood doing just dandy.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Hey, I was talking to a friend at work today and he was telling me that before you start a motor for the first time after an angine rebuild you should take the spark plugs out and pour some oil in the plug hole just to get some oil on the top half of the cylinder when priming it. I did not do this, has anyone ever heard of this? And if I didn't do it am I screwed? Also, How soon should I change the oil and filter. I read about 200 miles

-Mike
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

I amply coated everything in oil for the rebuild, but didn't pour any additional in.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Before the very first start, you only have to crank the engine like 10 seconds with ignition unconnected.. tu let some oil pressure build.. Then you start it.

Some will let the engine rev at different RPMS for 15min then change the oil.. then drive the car normally.

I didn't do that.. (forgot) ... but i changed my oil after the initial 500km. Then again at 1000km. At 1000 i replaced the cheap oil with good synthetic one.
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Yeah, I think I'm safe, Thanks for the input guys
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

Hey, I got the car registered and insured today and took it to my body repair guy about 20 minutes away. I noticed while driving home I'd get a small small amount of smoke when I'd step on the gas. Looks to be oil buring smoke. Should I check something or just assume its the rings still getting broken in. I have abour 5 miles on the engine.

-Mike
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

since you just installed the engine it has oil in all kinds of places where it wouldn't normally be found. I wouldn't worry yet. Your exhaust is probably coated with a glaze of oil as well, from that first start when the engine literally belches oil.

Your sig says Rhode Island. I'd like to check out the turbo at some point. I'm in Providence.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Yeah... When we were doing the compression test on Matt's car, we squirted oil into the bad cylinder to test the rings. After that we had to run the engine for a long time to burn away all that oil.
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

You're right Mike. Brand new engines are almost expected to burn a little oil as the rings seat.
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I always fill the oil filter when changing the oil.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

dzx, me too ;)

professor, yeah we should meet up some night. How old are you and stuff?

As far as the car goes, I drove it for a few hours last night. I think its done burning oil. I am getting happier with it I guess but I'm not impressed with the power for now. Once I have 2k miles on it I'll up the boost and see how I like it. Also, my fuel gage works intermitantly (spelling) should I post that in electrical or in engine?
-Mike

2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

you are probably jaded on engines after driving that Infinity. I'll tell you what, the 190hp rating on that nissan motor was jive, it was easily more powerful than that. I would regularly rent cars with that motor, definitely the sweetest 6 around at that time short of a BMW M motor. If you look at the Maxima and Infinity 0-60 and 1/4 times, they bear out that the motor had plenty of power.

So if you are expecting to dust the Infinity, better get the boost up big-time. Even then you'll be well short on torque down low.

I'm 39 but still love my toys, as the closet(s) full of skateboards, bike parts, etc would surely attest. I don't know what set-up you have but I have a pretty good outdoor space to work on cars, big and flat if you don't mind the close squeeze up my driveway. I also have nearly every tool invented by man.
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Yeah, I think Nissan rated those V6s with Clidesdales. Definitely underrated. My father has a '99 Maxima and that thing moves faster than cars I've been in with more power. Too bad for torque steer and the rear suspension.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.