n00b questions

That spinning thing that makes all of the cool noises. OE and Aftermarket.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Cliff2.2
First Gear

n00b questions

Post by Cliff2.2 »

Don't know a whole lot about the Legacy Turbo, so I've been searching the past couple days. Still have some things I'm unclear on though.

Turbo upgrades:
What supporting mods would I need for a 16G? (intercooler of course, MBC, fuel pump?, FCD?, Engine Management?)

Supporting mods for VF23? (same stuff?, do I need to fabricate custom inlet/outlet hoses?)

Heard the stock turbo runs out of steam at higher RPMs, would the TD04 flow better at higher RPMs?

Would the Saab 900 intercooler be enough or should I go with the WRX one (how hard is the install of the WRX one?) I could get them for the same price.

Exhaust: Looking at buying used/cheap DP and having a custom midpipe made and possibly keeping the stock muffler for now. Do I need an uppipe? What mufflers bold right up?
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

>Turbo upgrades:
>What supporting mods would I need for a 16G? (intercooler of >course, MBC, fuel pump?, FCD?, Engine Management?)

Intercooler, MBC to raise the boost a bit, FCD if you plan going over 12psi.

>Supporting mods for VF23? (same stuff?, do I need to fabricate >custom inlet/outlet hoses?)

same as 16G, but with custom inlet.

>Heard the stock turbo runs out of steam at higher RPMs, would >the TD04 flow better at higher RPMs?

Nope, there is not a big improvement in flow between the two

>Would the Saab 900 intercooler be enough or should I go with the >WRX one (how hard is the install of the WRX one?) I could get >them for the same price.

The "10 rays" (high-perf) version of the saab might be cool. 15 ray one may be restrictive a little..

WRX intercooler may cause you problem with : A/C hoses, to large to clear the firewall, interfere with Prestone bottle hoses.

> Exhaust:
>Looking at buying used/cheap DP and having a custom midpipe >made and possibly keeping the stock muffler for now. Do I need >an uppipe? What mufflers bold right up?

I had a custom DP made for 100$CAN. No need for a uppipe since it does not have a cat in it. If you get a custom midpipe, why you worry on "bolt-on muffler" ? get anyone you like fitted in place!

good luck :)
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Cliff2.2
First Gear

Post by Cliff2.2 »

Does the Legacy Turbo throw a CEL once you put on a catless exhaust?
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

nope

you only have 1 02-sensor for cruising optimisation only.. no "emission control" :)
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

You need engine management to properly utilize any of the listed modifications.

The turbo and injectors run out of steam at pretty much the same horsepower level. So if you upgrade one, you will need to upgrade the other to be safe.

The downpipe and the stock muffler are the 2 first things you want to replace in the stock exhaust. DP is the #1 restriction and the muffler is #2. Any magnaflow, brullen, glasspack, turbo muffler, or coffee can muffler can be made to fit pretty easily at a competent muffler shop.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

DP would be the first thing. Stock muffler is crap, replace it. A 2.5in crush bent pipe from the turbo all the way back should do you a lot of good for not too much $$$. Get a muffler that you can look straight through. If you plan to get all crazy with power go 3in, some people here have got WRX stuff to fit with little modification.
The WRX intercooler will take some work to get in. I wouldn't waste my money on a Saab IC, it's not worth the work to put it in with a turbo like that. Save up if you have to but do it right.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

I wouldnt worry about the uppipe but you definately need to upgrade the exhaust before the turbo. Previous owner had a n/a legacy muffler on my exhaust before i upgraded it. Try an Invidia downpipe and 3" stainless steel exhaust. K&N or some other performance drop in filter at the very least. Diamond coil pack wouldnt hurt. Walbro 255lph fuel pump. Stock ecu will work, just not as efficiently as a stand alone.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
Cliff2.2
First Gear

Post by Cliff2.2 »

Thanks for all the replies. First mod looks like it'll be a turboback.
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

If you can find a used WRX one for $3-400 or less then that is great. You can get new turbobacks for around $600 now. Don't fret over the dp design, you are talking a handful of horse either way... unless you plan on pushing a whole lot of horse later on, but even then you can always change to a different dp.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

It's not just power, it's exhaust velocity.

Good velocity capacity allows for large intake capacity. Plus, increased spool time, which is always a plus.

Bellmouth designs allow boost creep, and that's bad.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

OK let's get this straight: Some bellmouth dp's will cause boost creep. Some of it is the design, some of it is how much boost you're running, some of it is what the the wastegate comes set at. A weak wastegate actuator is the main reason for boost creep.
I have a bellmouth dp with no boost creep. I like the split dp idea but a bellmouth seems to be just fine for most people.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

*Warning Off Topic*

Hey K, are you home now? If not, how are you making out over there? Hope all is well. :)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]