Air-Water Intercooler Heat Exchanger Idea

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Brat4by4
Stratified

Air-Water Intercooler Heat Exchanger Idea

Post by Brat4by4 »

I'm piecing together all the parts I need for a fully functional air-water intercooler. (Thanks, Mark :wink: ) I know what water pump I want, but I'll have to sell some stuff to buy that. For now I'm looking for the radiator that will mount in the front of the car to cool down the water.

Lookin at my options... the best thing I have come across is a long aluminum transmission cooler. It is some 20" wide 7" tall and 3/4 or 1" thick I do believe, this should mount perfectly below the bumper only slightly blocking the very bottom of the radiator and condensor. Plus, it's only $60 or so new. The question is in the size of the pipe, the guy at Summit Racing didn't know if the 3/8" piping would flow enough water under pressure... because tranny fluid isn't under a lot of pressure in a car. I've talked to one local guy that knows some about air-water ic's and he said it's fine. Just seeing what you guys with air-water experience thought.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

Most transmission coolers have a restriction in them to prevent the fluid from circulating too fast in cold weather from what I could find out about them. Here's an idea that worked for me, a watercooled motorcycle engine radiator. Mine is from a Honda GoldWing 1600cc. Most motorcycle junkyards won't want very much for them but the used dirt bike radiators are in big demand as they are damaged frequently.
AL(CO)
al@iwtu.net
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Thanks! There are a bunch of those on e-bay and it looks like I can get one for around $20. Most are for the 1000cc 75-79 Goldwings, but i figure that's plenty to cool off the air-water ic. None of these list the actual dimensions, though. Did yours fit low under the front bumper or did you have to bend down the tabs that are on the back of the bumper?

ciper
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by ciper »

AIR CONDITIONING HEAT EXCHANGER! Very large and easy to find, designed for very high pressures and alot of heat dissapation.
-K-
Third Gear

Post by -K- »

What pump are you planing on using???
As for the radiator I am using the a/c one for now, I cut down a Jetta radiator and welded end tanks on but it isn't done yet. It will fit under the fins on the bumper but is 1 1/2 thick. I lost the a/c, it needed to be charged and I would never pay for it so it's gone. I also found out that the heater core out of the same 80s VW looks nice :) two should give you plenty of cooling. And they have 1/2in or 5/8 connections on them.
02 WRX Sedan, 5mt
93 Sport Sedan, 5mt
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

This looks to be the best pump money can buy for this application... http://www.jabsco.com/prodInfoApp/servl ... ryId=JMGEN

One of the 12V ones should work great. It can handle small debris, is reportedly quiet, and rated for continous use. I'll just have to see if I can figure out some way to adjust the speed of the pump from the cabin. I'm waiting for one to pop up on e-bay used, cuz the best price new I have seen is $160. I won't drop that kind of money unless I can sell other stuff to offset all of the price.