I finally pulled the codes.....

Headlights to tailights and everything in between.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

I finally pulled the codes.....

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Since I have been having so many problems lately, I went ahead and pulled the codes.

I got:

31 - Throttle Sensor; abnormal voltage input entered from throttle sensor

22 - Knock Sensor; abnormal voltage produced in knock sensor monitor circuit

49 - Air Flow Sensor; use of improper air flow sensor

The 22 could explain why i've been getting such bad gas milage, if it's been retarding the ignition.....

Is this 49 talking about the MAF sensor?

Are all of these replacable/repairable?

What's a good way to check them?
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

That being said, everything I post is accurate to the best of my knowledge.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

In my experience (and a lot of people on this board know I have mucho experience with these codes) is that when there is a problem with one of the sensors, that ALL of the codes are thrown. My guess is that the ecu is getting an abnormal reading from one sensor and doesn't realize whether the wrong signal is the right one or the right one is the wrong one.

I do know that Josh posted a description on how to check your TPS. Search for Legacy777 and TPS, or something like that. I think it might also be on his website.

The airflow sensor is the MAF. I remember there was a description on how to check the MAF sensor in the Haynes manual for the Legacys. I don't have that manual anymore, but someone one here has to have it.

Finally, have you upgraded your knock sensor to the updated one? It's been so long since I've read about this, but I think the upgraded one has a gray housing. Do a search on upgraded knock sensors just to make sure.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Also, are the MAF sensors interchangable between the years and n/a and turbo?

I have a (not so) willing test subject in a '94 n/a.....
Disclaimer: If anything I post is inaccurate, please correct me. I do not wish to add to the misinformation floating around on the internet.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I have the Haynes Manual.

I'll have to check that out.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

To my knowledge, only the 90-91 n/a 5-spds share the same MAF sensor as the turbos. The easy way to know for sure is to take a look at the housing. If the n/a legacy has the same metal casing, it's the same as the turbos. If it's the black plastic housing, it's not.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Crap.

I STILL need to find a multi-meter.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Are they compatible, though?

It's the black plastic housing in the n/a.

Will the n/a one crap its pants when it see how much air is going by?

They both have the same color wires heading into it, which leads me to believe they serve the same purpose.

I noticed the n/a one has an extra pin compared to the turbo one (turbo only has 4 pins with 5 wires).

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

No, they are not compatible. The ecu won't even be able to understand the sensor signals on the black housing MAF.

IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

crap.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

Ok.....

I just got a multi-meter and checked my battery and the MAF sensor.

My battery is putting out 11.6v (hasn't been charged lately) and the MAF sensor is seeing the full 11.6.

That's pretty much all I can check without a scan tool.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I'm confused -- do you have the right MAF sensor or not? If you have the black plastic MAF sensor on your car, drive very carefully until you get the right one on!

Do you have the revised knock sensor installed already?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I have the original, metal MAF sensor on there.

I actually CAN'T drive it right now, as it won't start.

I may just say screw it and swap out the starter and see if that does the trick. It's lifetime replacement, so I can get the new one for free.....

Any way to tell between original and revised knock sensors?

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The original sensor design has a gray connector. The redesigned one has a white connector.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

I would suggest trying to clear the codes, and then rechecking to see what's in there. The chances of all that stuff being bad is slim. The other alternative is that your ECU may be on the fritz....which would partially explain the car not running.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
IronMonkeyL255
Fourth Gear

Post by IronMonkeyL255 »

I was going to get the starter switched out, as I believe that may be on the fritz.

I'll go ahead and clear the codes and see if they come back when I get this running again.

Rio Red '91 Legacy SS