Ghetto Short Shift...

Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

BAC5.2

Ghetto Short Shift...

Post by BAC5.2 »

I recently had a problem.

I had worn clear through my stock shift knob. Plastic was showing, and it would hurt my hand and leave it black from the leather flaking off.

So, I bought a Greddy TRUST knob off of a friend of mine. I REALLY like how heavy it is and how it fits my hand. It feels really nice.

But there was a problem. The new knob didn't screw all the way down. It bottomed out on the threads and the knob sat about an inch and a half higher than it SHOULD.

I drove it like this for about 4 months.

Yesterday, I decided to fix it. The Momo Shift boot I bought off of Art back in February came with a collar to hold the boot up. The collar is SUPPOSED to screw onto the bottom of a MOMO knob. I was planning on getting a leather Momo knob.

I paid $20 for the TRUST knob vs. the $80 for the Momo joint.

So, I FINALLY decided to get into gear. I bought an M12x1.25 metric die, and got to work.

I added about 3" of threading to the stock shifter. This allowed me to bottom out the knob to where it is SUPPOSED to sit, and have enough room left over for me to screw an M12x1.25 bolt onto the shifter and snug the boot retension collar up against the knob.

Took about 20 minutes to die all of the threads onto the stock shifter. It was elbow grease abusing work due to the confines of the car, but it got done. I didn't have any cutting fluid, so I just used Motor Oil, and went slower than usual.

Looks pretty good. Didn't notice any difference at all in shifting, except for the minor hand position change and the more effort required to shift. I like it. The one thing I DO notice is that now my shift boot stays up and looks a LOT better.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

TTIWWP!

Hell, I'm still waiting to see pics of your new wheels! :roll:

:)
-Matt

'92 SS 5mt. All go and no show. Sold :(
'94 Audi UrS4 Modded (new project)
'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
90LegAWD
First Gear

Post by 90LegAWD »

now, cut another 1" of threads, and cut 1" off the end of the shifter. then screw the knob down even more for a true shorter throw
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Nah, I'm not that ghetto.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

Still waiting.... :cry:

That's cool that you got so crafty Phil. You get ...uh...35 GG points. :D
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
Oh... and I hope the fucker get bunked with Gunter, arrested for raping Gorillas.[/quote]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Lol, you know me better than THAT Matt. I should have like 10 bazillion GG points by now :)

I'll get you pics this weekend!

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Phil, I actually did this to my shifter yesterday. Bought a 12mm 1.25 die and that tool. Trust me, the tool make cutting the threads into the shifter VERY EASY!! Only took me 2 minutes to cut the threads down an inch and a half without cutting grease. I recommend this to anyone trying a ghetto shifter.

Made the shift feel more like my Kartboy shifter in my old GT. Very precise!
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Which tool Jason?

We gotta meet up man! I'll be free on Thursday night, after 5. We could meet up for some foodstuffs.

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Tomorrow night? Depending on when I finish up with my parents I should be able to meet ya.

There's a tool for the dies. It's a twin-handled piece that the die fits into. Makes for cutting even threads into the metal. I'll show it to you tomorrow.

Oh yeah, if we meet up tomorrow, remind me to bring all that random subaru stuff I have lying around.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
professor
Third Gear

Post by professor »

I'm working on ghetto shifter improvements involving the afore-mentioned threading die, a hacksaw, a WRX leather shift knob, black dye, a Nerf football, and some glue ... total investment $10

details forthcoming, even if a total failure
That beer you are drinking cost more than my car
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Nerf football?

Ghetto shift boot as well?

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

OH, I know what you are talking about! I used those at work!

I'm a lazy bastard, so I just used a wrench and that worked OK. It's not the easiest thing cutting threads in 28 degree weather.

I should have pulled the lever out of the car again and done it inside, lol.

legacy92ej22t
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by legacy92ej22t »

I wish I could meet up with you guys too. Damn, I miss it down there with you guys. :(
-Matt

'96 Outback 5mt.
'07 Legacy 2.5i SE

[quote="Redlined"]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

Matt, wish you could join us!

Phil, if only you waited till this week to make the shifter! It's been in the 60s these days. Give me a call tomorrow night if you feel like meeting up.

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I don't know if I still have your number?

I work until 9pm in Rockville. We could meet at the same place if you want, but it'll be cold as shit, so we might want to move inside, lol.

boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

BAC5.2 wrote:I don't know if I still have your number?

I work until 9pm in Rockville. We could meet at the same place if you want, but it'll be cold as shit, so we might want to move inside, lol.
I think I still have your number. I'll give you a call after 9 tonight.

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

I got off work early, let me know when you wanna meet up, just give me a call. Can't hang out long, but long enough to catch up on old times.