I think I'm done....

This is for non-Subaru related topics. Keep it realistic please.

Moderator: Moderators

SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

steve, you're posts are consistently out of control.
:lol: there need to be more people like that in the bigger cities, and in office :wink:
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

The world couldn't handle that much ME.
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
Richard
Third Gear

Post by Richard »

As for the origional post, here's my two cents.

What seperates an admirer from an enthusiast?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=xTKj6F_Qq1U

Granted, this isn't something he could drive to work or out on the highway, but this is what he dreamed of. This was his heart and soul, to achieve this goal.

People spend much more on basically old, mass produced, un-special cars like '70 Rustangs, '55 Ford Pickups, El Caminos and even model T's. Sure it's cool to you to see one looking all shiny and restored, perfectly tuned, and running like the day it was born. But you can go to the next car show to see another one just like it. And another, and another, and so on. What is the point?

Personal satisfaction. The guy who poured his sweat, blood, money and time into something doesn't really care what you think of his creation. He doesn't need to. Whether you or your friend or some stranger likes or dislikes how the crazy SOB spent his money and time is irrelevant. It's the joy of finishing a goal, continuing a dream, and doing exactly what makes one happy that makes it all worthwhile.

I'm sure this crazy guy who built a Ferrari just to have the sound in his living room has heard it all. Why so much time? Why so much money? Couldn't you have built something better? Something drivable? Like it/hate it. Awesome/stupid. Brilliant/retarded. I'm also sure he had a few setbacks along the way. He's probably broken a few parts. I'm sure he had to repeat something over and over just to get it right. And I'm sure something ended up on the floor in a few pieces.

This is what sets the person who likes to have something apart from someone who works to make a dream a reality, no matter the cost. What we think of a guy who builds a model Ferrari or a guy who builds and tunes a Subaru Legacy doesn't matter. You could speak of almost anything - jet powered Beetles, amphibious MG's, rocket scooters, pink Escalades on 24's, jacked-up pickup trucks, old dragsters, slingshot funny cars, and even those damned Shriner cars that look like Space Shuttles. There will be those who admire and those that shun. Money, time, sweat, blood, cuts, tears, patience, frustration, beer, chips, parts, broken parts, new parts, stains, rips, gouges, burgers, brats, dreams, hopes, fears, ideas, life, liberty, justice and injustice, all are what one pays to climb to the top and say "I did it".

I am fortunate to still own my first car. It has a few pieces missing, some rust, 2 gashed up rims, a leaking sunroof, a flat tire, a couple dents, shitty suspension, blown head gasket, nearly blown auto tranny, dirty interior, dirtier exterior, missing trunk carpet, and much more. Still, I hang onto it, not only for spare parts for my current car, but for the one day I might gather enough money to buy all the needed parts, find all the time, and gain the knowledge to put it all back together. If I ever win the lottery, the first thing I would do is buy a Ferrari 430 Scuderia, Lamborghini Murcielago LP640 Roadster, and a Porche 911 for a beater. Maybe even an Enzo if I could get my hands on one. And of course an STI for when it snows.

But the happiest moment in my life would be rollin' in my totally self-restored 1993 Subaru Legacy Sport Sedan. It would be parked front and center in my big assed garage, proudly displayed, no matter the comments from those lucky enough to see it. That would be my crowning achievement, and therefore that is my dream.

$13,000 is alot when you don't have it. We can all agree on that. But can you put a price on happiness, joy, and a sense of self-accomplishment? Can you get a quote for a dream? The answer is no.

He who achieves knows no greater glory, and the joy is for him and him only.

Clink, clink.
-2004 Liquid Silver WRX "Pretty Hate Machine"
asc_up
Fifth Gear

Post by asc_up »

Wow. Amazing post. That makes me feel great about dropping thousands of dollars into the car I love.

Ever considered doing motivational speeches? Haha.
-Aaron

2000 Audi S4 - 2.7L Twin-turbo, 6 Speed

[quote="evolutionmovement"]It was me. And those are my balls. Happy Sunday![/quote]
smh0101
Fifth Gear

Post by smh0101 »

asc_up wrote:Wow. Amazing post. That makes me feel great about dropping thousands of dollars into the car I love.

Ever considered doing motivational speeches? Haha.
+1

No kidding!
~Spencer
94 Legacy Turbo (550 Robtune/ej20h v2 Sti RA drivetrain)
94 Legacy Ti Wagon (5mt ej22e)
91 rhd Legacy GT Wagon (factory 5mt, ej20g)
93 rhd Legacy GT type S2 Sedan (4eat, ej20g)
91 rhd Legacy Ti Type S 1.8
03 Lincoln LS V8 Sport
08 300 SRT8
SubaruNation
Fifth Gear

Post by SubaruNation »

thank you for that post, that was awesome.
and that video only made it so much better :D

FTW!! wagons rule!
Zach - Legacy Frankenstin
93forestpearl wrote:Keep up the good work. You'll never know what you are capable of unless you push yourself.