sti injectors are in

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

sti injectors are in

Post by NICO »

well i installed my sti injectors in and the car runs ok but before the turbo kicks in it boag. my ecu has bin chipped and the car runs fine but when you get to 5500 rpms the car feels slugish.

the car will not run on a stock turbo ecu to much boagging a cross the rev band

should i change my throttle settings on the car i am going back to the man that tuned it and i think he will make it all better.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

You mentioned the ecu's chipped.

1. I wasn't aware that there were chips available for the 91-94 turbos.
2. What are the parameters of the chip? You can't necessarily make a claim that the injectors don't run with the stock ecu if your ecu's chipped.
3. How are you going to change the throttle settings?
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

which injectors, and which fuel rail (or custom?) Flow rate? Top feed/side feed? For that matter, what kinda ECU chip is it... capabilities? Inquiring minds want to know....
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
J-MoNeY
Fourth Gear

Post by J-MoNeY »

free5ty1e wrote:which injectors, and which fuel rail (or custom?) Flow rate? Top feed/side feed? For that matter, what kinda ECU chip is it... capabilities? Inquiring minds want to know....
I think he's using STI Yellow top injectors. With EJ18 rails. :?
98 LGT
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

...whoa. Don't find those every day.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

free5ty1e wrote:...whoa. Don't find those every day.
Actually, you probably do. A lot of the STi guys on nasioc are probably getting rid of them.
[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/On_the_Lawn.jpg]1991 Legacy Turbo (RIP)[/url]

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/md3/91turbolegacy/images/Summer_Car_Wash3.jpg]2000 Celica GT-S[/url]
NICO
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by NICO »

i am useing 05 sti injectors which are yellow side feeds, they fit in a set of ej18 motor rails. i payed 600 for the injectors stright from the dealer brand new, the rails came out of the impreza L sedan i just got soon to be a turbo legacy impreza.

hears whats going on before chipping the ecu, ported heads have bin done headers big down pipe no cats fule cut missing thunder bird coupe turbo up grade, and hks air filter single path to turbo no restrictors. with factory ecu and factory injectors i got it tuned bye yoisho http://japanese-auto.com/services.html he tuned it very very good. i was not getting fuel past 4000rpms he siad, yoisho smoothed it all out and it worked.

after chipping the ecu i got sti injectors in, and after stuck them in the car. it runs very strong at 19psi down low and up high but in every gear when i get to 6000rpms the car sounds like i am hitting the rev limit, is it cuz theres to much gas? so with a stock ecu i have, i siad lets try it cuz its not chipped, i stuck the factory setting ecu back in for a test run. the car did not run right at all, so once agian i stuck the tuned ecu back in and tuned the turbo and the blow off valve to make it feel smoother, so far it runs very well but i have to punch it, or drive it some what slow do to slight boaging.

my dad siad put to fuel presure regulators on the rials and it will bring the fuel down a little maybe a nuff, yoisho siad to get a greddy e-manege then he can tune it and set them up. i say hks super afr it, or hks afr manual. the manual one makes my mass air flow signl wire go down one volt, or put a bigger turbo that makes more air.

3 ways there, 2 are cheep the other is steep but total control bye lap top.
1993 Subaru Legacy 44B STi 4Cam 16Valve Turbo Intercooled AWD
EJ22T, STi EJ207 DOHC, Vi-PEC (Spare Autronic) @ 426.20HP / 394.94ft lb @ 00psi
Tuned By: Franz Diebold ( DIEBOLD AUTOSPORT ) @ NVauto
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

e-manage, the hks afr , apexi s-afc, are all pretty inexpensive compared to other options.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

what years did the impreza L have the fuel rail that will fit those injectors? Sounds nice. Wish I were close to Japanese Automotive.

Which are the laptop-based control/tuning systems that are most often chosen for our Legacies? I want to do a whole fuel system upgrade but would like to get total fuel management figured out first. Do any electronic boost controllers on the market today also control injector pulsewidth for tuning (of course with the proper inputs hooked up - pressure, throttle, o2, egt, etc...)? I checked around but couldn't find any definate answers on that, although some of them seemed as though they could tune the vehicle as well as control boost. I would imagine EBC would also be the way to regulate the boost throughout the gears, right now it's quite a spread with 10psi in 1st and 15psi in 5th.

But I digress, as I tend to do.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Would it have been cheaper to buy injectors from perfection motorsports?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

Okay, so, lemme get this straight:
You've installed STi Yellow Tops-
On EJ18 Fuel Rails-
With a tuned ECU-
..and you're still not able to get past 6Krpms?

hm. :?:
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

91legacy_sleeper wrote:Okay, so, lemme get this straight:
You've installed STi Yellow Tops-
On EJ18 Fuel Rails-
With a tuned ECU-
..and you're still not able to get past 6Krpms?

hm. :?:
The ecu tune was for the stock injectors, not the STis. Therein lies his problem.

tris91ricer
Title Whore

Post by tris91ricer »

How about proper tuning and modification? That also poses problems.
..but I'm biased. :D
[b]'92 L Sedan[/b]
EJ20g 4.11 5sp LSD

[quote]e46 owners tend to be twats.
[/quote]
boostjunkie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by boostjunkie »

91legacy_sleeper wrote:How about proper tuning and modification? That also poses problems.
..but I'm biased. :D
Yeah, proper tune. That's why I'm thinking a new reflash.

Modifications? Unfortunately, unless you're gonna go custom, there's no alternative to using the EJ18 fuel rails if you want some bigger injectors on an EJ22T.

Nomake Wan
Second Gear

Post by Nomake Wan »

free5ty1e wrote:what years did the impreza L have the fuel rail that will fit those injectors? Sounds nice. Wish I were close to Japanese Automotive.

Which are the laptop-based control/tuning systems that are most often chosen for our Legacies? I want to do a whole fuel system upgrade but would like to get total fuel management figured out first. Do any electronic boost controllers on the market today also control injector pulsewidth for tuning (of course with the proper inputs hooked up - pressure, throttle, o2, egt, etc...)? I checked around but couldn't find any definate answers on that, although some of them seemed as though they could tune the vehicle as well as control boost. I would imagine EBC would also be the way to regulate the boost throughout the gears, right now it's quite a spread with 10psi in 1st and 15psi in 5th.

But I digress, as I tend to do.
Doesn't vrg3's select monitor tool have an experimental Injector Pulse Width function on it now? I seem to recall him telling me that he put it in. It's a laptop-based program.

And yeah, I'd kill to live near JA. Well, okay, so I'm in Central NY and it's in Toronto, so it's not too bad of a stretch... couple of hours in the car...

Anyway, yeah.
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/762395]1990 Legacy L (Sold)[/url]
[url=http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2564067]1992 SVX LS-L[/url]
[quote="LaureltheQueen"]I like my automatic, it's fun to drink coffee and smoke civics at the same time[/quote]
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

I believe the piggyback UTEC chips for the 93-96 wrx (jdm of course) will work with our ecu.

I'll be re-visiting yoshio of japanese auto tomorrow morning and i'll try and scrounge up some more info for us... he does some amazing work and has tuned all the cars on our auto-x team (www.spda-online.ca)

:)
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

whoa... he has an app that can mess with that?? I'm gonna go check his site! Word to the VRG.

I already have the car wired for use with my laptop and his scan tool.....
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
Nomake Wan
Second Gear

Post by Nomake Wan »

Yeah, I'm gonna get a really stupid-cheap laptop as my next upgrade so I can run his tool. Then I'll see what I can do to mess with the TCU's mind, hehe.
[quote="LaureltheQueen"]I like my automatic, it's fun to drink coffee and smoke civics at the same time[/quote]
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Well theres a new version of the scan tool but it doesn't state anywhere that it can alter the injector pulse width or anything like that. I'm still looking through the posts to see if maybe its up here somewhere. Damn....
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
NuwanD
Second Gear

Post by NuwanD »

Dropped by Japanese auto today, Yoshio was fairly busy conducting a dyno day for a miata club... haven't been around miata's in a while and those things are completely different beast from what we drive...

Anyways, i spoke to yoshio briefly from what I can gather our ecu only allows him to adjust timing maps, he can't alter the stock fuel maps. What he did say is that with an aftermarket system (ie; greddy e-manage) he will be able to tune the fuel and timing maps to take advantage of the larger injectors.

Hopfully i'll catch him another day soon where we can further discuss this, we're also going to look into the idea of making cams for our cars. :D
Nuwan
1992 Open Class Legacy Turbo
2004 Forester XT
2000 Impreza 2.5RSC (Supercharged)
1990 Rover Mini 1000
Nomake Wan
Second Gear

Post by Nomake Wan »

Hell yeah on the custom cams idea. I look forward to your progress. ^_~
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Huh, so Yoshio came to the same conclusion I did about fuel maps on our ECU... That's comforting in a way.

I still think it should be possible to recalibrate our ECU for different injectors, even if it's not possible to tune maps.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

well, we at least have a range of acceptable injector sizes that the ECU's fuel trim range can compensate for... our stock injectors (turbo) are what, side-feed 370cc/min? And 450cc/min injectors seem to be within that range, according to another post... how much fuel trim adjustment is available?

Of course this would just let the ECU run things rich like it usually likes to. Perhaps we need to find which injectors are just on the fringe of the ECU's fuel trim range to lean things out a bit.

...Or piggyback fuel management is probably necessary for proper tuning.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

The fuel trim numbers can range from about -20% to +20%.

It's not clear exactly how fuel trims are computed for situations where the desired air/fuel ratio is not stoichiometric though.
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
Innovative Tuning
Second Gear

Post by Innovative Tuning »

Nomake Wan wrote:And yeah, I'd kill to live near JA. Well, okay, so I'm in Central NY and it's in Toronto, so it's not too bad of a stretch... couple of hours in the car....
As an alternative to homicide...I'm in Buffalo which saves you 2 hours of driving plus border crossing time. ;)

E-manage is a good choice for the older ECU's which don't have as many inexpensive tuning options. It's fuel control is adequate for most setups.
NuwanD wrote:I believe the piggyback UTEC chips for the 93-96 wrx (jdm of course) will work with our ecu.
If that's true...then the Autronic Plug In ECU for 95-96 WRX's will work and that's a hell of a unit. I'd really like to know it that's possible, because if it is, our shop rally car will be getting one in the near future. The guys at Autronic weren't sure about compatibility.

-Mike