i have impure thougths

Subaru-related topics that don't belong anywhere else...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

morgie
Third Gear

i have impure thougths

Post by morgie »

yeah i have impure thougths of selling that legacy, while the rust is not to spread, and that the car runs good, so i'll be able to get a good value for it.

Next year, laws will permit the importation of the skyline Gtr here in canada. And with the extreme cheapness of that char in japan, i'm pretty well interested into importing one here. So selling the legacy now will get me a great cash-down for the skyline next year... and for the next year or so, i'll run in a crappy car, like an accent or something..

hard choice to make since winter is coming quickly ! :( and with all the money and efforts i've put on the car... but on another hand, i'm a bit tired of working so hard and spending money on it ... a 2000 accent is still on waranty for 2 years...

arff ... to many plans, so few money ;) i'll sleep on that ...
Last edited by morgie on Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
morgie
'98 4Runner V6 Manual 4x4.
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

Talking Skyline GT-R, I can't say I'd blame you at all. They import them to the US, too, but they're not cheap. I've seen $35K-50 US for R32 and R34 respectively. But I don't know, maybe that's your price range...lucky bastard. :wink:

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

nope. Motorex and RB motoring takes a HUGE profit on importing and legalysing the skyline for the US, since they are the only ones to do that.

on Japaneese auctions, a R32 GTR 1989 or 1990, sells for around 6000$ - 8000$CAN (not USD). + around 2500$CAN shipping ... that's all.

they are pretty cheap cars ! :)
morgie
evolutionmovement
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by evolutionmovement »

:shock: !!!! Whoa! Only problem would be getting parts... (I'll use that as my excuse for not getting one) Is this imported under a Canadian exemption of some sort, because I know the Skylines had to go through crash testing to be certified and... Wait, they're already crash certified then, but what about emissions? I assume Canada isn't as bad as the US.

Steve
Midnight in a Perfect World on Amazon or order anywhere. The first book in a quartet chronicling the rise of a man from angry criminal to philanthropist. Midnight... is a distopic noirish novel featuring 'Duchess', a modified 1990 Subaru Legacy wagon.
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

Ontario is as bad if not worse, well the stretch from Windsor to Ottawa anyways :evil:

Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

The laws are quite different here.

In the US, you can import any car from any country, as long as it meets the regulations of your department of transportation. If it doesn't comply, then you can modify them so they are Ok.

In canada, any car from any country is declared "not meeting safety / pollution regulations of canada" (except for cars from US), and you CANNOT modify them to be legal. The only exception: when a car gets 15 years old since it's fabrication date, then the regulations does not apply anymore, so Any car from Any country is then allowed for importation here.
morgie
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

Morgie, don't go! Think about how expensive the parts will be, and how long you'll have to wait for them! And installing them's gonna have to be much harder than with the Legacy! And you'll need to learn Japanese just to be able to talk to other people who know about tuning it! And can you even get a shop manual in English or French for it? And, and .... We'd miss you!

But I understand what you're saying. You've done a great job documenting all the work you've had to do on your Legacy, so we all know what you've had to go through. The newly found rust must have pushed you over the edge, eh?

A 15-year-old Skyline is going to be a lot of work, too, though, and they're rare to find unmodified. Consider that you might have a hard time finding the Skyline you hope for. I don't know too much about the climate in most parts of Japan, but I'd guess that it's probably less conducive to rust than most of Canada. That RB26DETT engine is awesome, though... great torque, quick-spooling turbos, very sturdy.

Sigh. I see what's attracting you to the Skyline... Do you really think your Legacy will be worth so much less after one year, though, that it would be more cost-efficient to buy and sell another car rather than keep it for a year longer?
"Just reading vrg3's convoluted, information-packed posts made me feel better all over again." -- subyluvr2212
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Morgie, you know I've grown quite impatient with my car in the past. But after time went on, I got over my initial anger and grew to like the car again.

I have to support vrg3, since he encouraged me so much in keeping my Legacy and staying on the board. I was getting ready to drive the thing off a cliff, but I started to think: This car, as much as it pisses me off sometimes, has NEVER left me anywhere, and I have enjoyed almost every mile I've put on it. So what did I do? I bought another old Subaru and proceeded to start making another great car using the methods I've learned on the Legacy. And guess what? I still have the Legacy, I still love it to death, and I'm still on the board. And mine's not even turbo!!!

Nissans are great cars, my friend had a 84 300ZX turbo, and that engine was probably as sturdy as an EJ22T. He ran 13lbs boost and a mid-14 E.T. with no IC! But they're not easy to work on... etc. etc. Do realize, Morgie, that almost no matter WHAT other car you buy, a BC-BF will be easier to work on...

If push comes to shove, import a JDM BC turbo. Yeah, it will be very hard to find, but you will own one of my personal dream cars and be the envy of our whole board! 8)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

Last friday there was a navy blue 1989 BC5 turbo for sell on the auctions, for.... 1450$ CAD ! :)

If i buy another car, it will be as a second _reliable and Waranteed_ car for everyday driving. as a winter / daily driver

In fact, i really don't know what to do .. that legacy is an awesome car, this one is almost a complete project (only a IC left to install) and with the winter coming ... arff ... dont know what to do.

i don't want to spend a penny on it anymore, that's the big problem. I've spent a _LOT_ on it, and the same amount is required for the next year.

i have a friend who is very serious, so the car will stay close to me ! :)
hehe
morgie
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

just tonight.... i went to my friend' appartment to take a little beer. arrives, park the car. 15 mins later another friend arrives.

i was talking about the fact that i'm tired of working on problems on my car and that i'm thinking about selling it.

he arrives in the room and sais :

"Hey Morgie , there's a big leak starting from your car"
"Nahh, you're joking" ?
"Nope, there is _REALY_ a big leak from your car"
".... -sight- you're not joking ? "
"nope, go see by yourself"

... there was actually a lot of prestone under the car.. grrrrrrr..... that was not realy the time to appen... hehe

the prestone hose that goes from the engine head to the turbo-prestone tank had a crack ... :\ ok this one was my fault, i squeezed to much the collar of the hose (it was previously leaking by that exact same place because it was too slack... now it was to tight :\ ) but that was not helping at all...

but the car ran very well on my way back home. i love to drive it ! hehe
morgie
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

found you a new site, now be on your way. :p

http://www.nicoclub.com/

The guys over there are really nice, and a few actually have skylines from what I've heard. :)
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

Prestone is canadian for coolant i imagine?
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

Pretty sure we still have Prestone here in the States, too. 8)
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

just usually dont call it by brand name...
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

LaureltheQueen wrote:found you a new site, now be on your way. :p

http://www.nicoclub.com/

The guys over there are really nice, and a few actually have skylines from what I've heard. :)
Yep. There is a R33 Skyline here in Orlando, with NICO stickers on it. And I have pics of my car next to it... ;)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

I joined that site when I went through my 240sx phase. The people there are very knowledgeable. :)
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

LaureltheQueen : you're right. Prestone is Coolant. In popular french we often call things by the major brand name since is shorter to say ! haha

like "Liquide de refroidissement" is called "prestone"
or "Refrigérateur" is called "Frigidaire" or even "Fridg"
or "Taille bordure" to cut the grass.. is called "Weed Eater" (Widiter)
a water pressure washer (?) , we call it "simoniz" from the canadian tire brand. ;)

were juste a bunch of freaks speaking french in an english land.. so it's normal that french get's twisted a bit ;)
morgie
totech
Second Gear

Post by totech »

were juste a bunch of freaks speaking french in an english land.. so it's normal that french get's twisted a bit
But we love you all the same!!!! :D
08 GE - SWP
96 BG - SGP
96 CX - EBP
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

totech wrote:
were juste a bunch of freaks speaking french in an english land.. so it's normal that french get's twisted a bit
:rofl:

Hey, could be worse. Could be speaking German. Ever see the compund words they come up with to describe newer products or ideas? :shock: Some of the words are over 30 letters long!!! :P
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

haha yup german is pretty strange :)

As things go, i'll eater switch for a 2004 2.5l TS ( :\ ) in loan + Skyline :) ,

or Fu** Off the skyline :( , and i get a 2002 WRX, and i use all the knowledge acquired here to make it a beast. (starting with my home made controler that will be 100% compatible with the WRX Ecu, not like the legacy one :\ )
morgie
LaureltheQueen
Spelling Nazi
Spelling Nazi

Post by LaureltheQueen »

totech wrote:
Speak for yourself....
Brat4by4
Stratified

Post by Brat4by4 »

Personally WRX sounds like the much better route. Aftermarket parkets multiply 4-fold for the car by the hour. I exaggerate :roll: , but you get the point.

You might even get one with some warranty left.
1993 WMP BC6 5MT EJ22T 9psi 3.9:1 213k 205/55R16

62.6 m/s @ 0.66 bar. Gotta love boost. :)
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

WRX are a bit too much for my actual plans... it's now looking for a 1999 impreza brighton or something ...

if someone has a ej22t to sell... i might be interested !! :)
morgie
morgie
Third Gear

Post by morgie »

finally, it will not be a brighton, but a nice little black impreza outback sport 1999.

ej22t still in the project :)

here's a pic
http://www.montreal-subaru-club.com/mem ... 001521.jpg
morgie
Yukonart
Cradle Robber
Cradle Robber

Post by Yukonart »

I smell a sleeper. :twisted: