tubing, aluminum and thick vs thin wall

Front, Top, Air, Water.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

kidwired
First Gear

tubing, aluminum and thick vs thin wall

Post by kidwired »

I found some relatively thick walled aluminum tube which looks like the right sz for my IC.

I'm thinking the thick vs thin aluminum will act as a heat sink, cooling the air as it passes to the IC.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

Well, aluminum will work great granted you can find someone to weld it. You could use couplers in a few places, yes, but some of the bends need to be fitted accordingly. As for thick versus thin, the thin stuff will have a slightly larger ID, more flow.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
91White-T
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: tubing, aluminum and thick vs thin wall

Post by 91White-T »

kidwired wrote:I'm thinking the thick vs thin aluminum will act as a heat sink, cooling the air as it passes to the IC.
It won't, they both have the same surface area. Not only that but the air spends a negligible amount of time in a pipe, especially under boost.
98 Ford Contour V6 24V 5MT
98 Chevy Camaro Z28 LS1 6MT
91 Rio Red SS 5MT Sold
91 Flat Black Wagon L+ 4EAT RIP
91 Pearl White SS 4EAT RIP
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

ding ding
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
THAWA
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by THAWA »

stipro wrote:As for thick versus thin, the thin stuff will have a slightly larger ID, more flow.
Wouldn't that depend on how it was measured? If the two pipes were measured for their OD then yes the thin would have a larger ID and would flow more, but if they were measured for their ID's then they would flow the same, but the thicker one would have a larger OD.
Rio Red 90 Legacy LS AWD 174k
Liquid Silver 92 SVX LS-L 88k
[url=http://folding.amdmbpond.com/FoldingForOurFuture.html]Do you fold?[/url]

I'm on First and First. How can the same street intersect with itself? I must be at the nexus of the universe.
stipro
Third Gear

Post by stipro »

THAWA wrote:
stipro wrote:As for thick versus thin, the thin stuff will have a slightly larger ID, more flow.
Wouldn't that depend on how it was measured? If the two pipes were measured for their OD then yes the thin would have a larger ID and would flow more, but if they were measured for their ID's then they would flow the same, but the thicker one would have a larger OD.
Pipe sizes below 14" is measured in approx. ID

ie. sched 40 pipe with 1 1/2" inside diameter has the same OD as sched 80 1 1/2" pipe, its the ID that is different.
1994 ABM Sport Sedan-Not stock
1990 L series/turbo-Rally project
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

91White-T wrote:
kidwired wrote:I'm thinking the thick vs thin aluminum will act as a heat sink, cooling the air as it passes to the IC.
It won't, they both have the same surface area. Not only that but the air spends a negligible amount of time in a pipe, especially under boost.
mmk, the "surface area" makes perfect sense. But as to "negligible time in pipe" that would be relative to where I mount my IC.
I think this is worth consideration on an FMIC.

But it doesnt seem as tho there are really any negatives to running a thicker wall besides the ID issue.

oh yeah, so what would an appropriate sized IC pipe be for a stock turbo w/ 12-15lbs boost and a decatted exhaust? I would assume 2.25 same as the exhaust.
Goodbye my sweet, parting is such sweet sorrow....1993 BC6 , Saab IC, with xtras Hallman MBC, HKS FCD , wrx exaust.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

kidwired wrote:mmk, the "surface area" makes perfect sense. But as to "negligible time in pipe" that would be relative to where I mount my IC.I think this is worth consideration on an FMIC.
The reason the intercooler works is because it flows the air through fins like a radiator. For air to cool down from time inside of the pipes, it would have to sit there for a while. Any air in the system will be used long before it has had a chance to radiate its heat out through the piping.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

yeah, I get that but when were talking about 8' of pipe it seems like it might help.

I was thinking about pipe dia last night, I think 2.25 would be fine as the IC would be the most restrictive anyway.....still thinking.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Depends on what turbo you run. I have 2.5" piping to my fmic.
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

The air in the intercooler piping is spending a fraction of a second there under boost. Even if it is eight feet long. Not to mention the air in the engine compartment is usually on the warm side. I say don't worry about it. Its not going to make a noticable difference,
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

so why would my little tiny IC work? the air is in the tube long than the IC.
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

Actually, the air is in the I/C longer than in the tube. The I/C has much more volume than the tube itself. That means the air in the tube is moving really fast to keep the I/C full of equally pressurized air, minus a slight pressure drop.

If you think about how many cubic feet of air an engine consumes, especially a turbo engine, that air cannot spend much time in any intercooler piping.

I guess that the ideal setup, although having miniscule effects, would be aluminum pre-I/C piping and steel(stainless) post-I/C piping.

Please keep in mind that I'm wasted right now. (See Ashtray)
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
free5ty1e
Fifth Gear

Post by free5ty1e »

Exposed metallic piping in the engine compartment isn't going to cool the intake charge, if anything it's probably going to warm it. Although the same argument holds: it won't be in there long.
-Chris
91SS 4EAT stock
91SS 5MT awaiting engine rebuild and VF36...
92SS 4EAT - RIP :(
94SS 5MT4.11+rLSD 289k km: RobTune550,TD05-16g @ 18psi,FMIC,3"TBE,Forester lift
kidwired
First Gear

Post by kidwired »

ok, it was worth kicking around.
BTW I found some nice big silicone intercooler tube on ebay! the kind we use on our turbo diesel trucks at work.
dzx
Fifth Gear

Post by dzx »

Is it the steam pressure hose like the kind used on RV's and such?
///M
'93 Legacy SS - part out