frozen strut

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

Binford
Third Gear

frozen strut

Post by Binford »

Anybody ever see a strut so wore out it stopped moving? :? My damper body has an oval hole for the piston to in and out, big enough that I can stick my finger in beside the piston! Appearently, water got inside and now that it's cold here, it froze! It makes for a very bumpy ride! See my pics.

http://www.thawa.net/gallery/album58?page=7
'91 5MT SS-TD04, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Spec LW flywheel/pressure plate, FCD, Walbro fuel pump-RIP
'93 5MT N/A wagon, over 400,000 miles!-Gone, parts lived on
'94 Auto SS-vf24, WRX TMIC, Bosal twin dump, Meth kit coming soon!-Now RWD!
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

yo shits b busted.
-Jason Grahn
sillyp
First Gear

Post by sillyp »

i have seen a strut that worn out. not on my car of course, but on freind's who was too cheap to replace his blown out struts. everytime he went around a corner or over a bump you could hear multiple clunks. it was so blown you could kick the tire and see it change camber. A real safety hazard if you ask me, and it couldn't have been to good for tire wear. after we pulled it out we saw how bad it was, you could wobble the shaft around in the housing - and there was absolutely no dampening left in it. i'll bet he would have had the same frozen strut problem as you if i didn't fix it for him.

i hope yer not abusing and turbo leg in that way - them shits is rare, you gotta maintain brother!
92 5mt AWD
F250 duty
12" Johnson