Installed- H&R coilovers, pics

Struts, spring, anti-rollbars, braces and the like.

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Installed- H&R coilovers, pics

Post by 93forestpearl »

Just got back up to school so I could post pics.

I put in the H&R street coilovers, Racing Brake 4 pot front setup, Goodridge lines, Whiteline "comfort" antilift kit, STi Group N strut tops front and rear, and the Energy Suspension kit. It was alotta fun, let me tell ya.

The rear bushings on the front control arm were a snap with the antilift kit. Slide the old ones off and the new ones on. The bushings on the front of the control arms, were a chore. The factory bushings have a metal case on the outside of them that presses in with the bushing. Getting them out of a 12 y/old control arm was fun. We had to press out the pin, then cut them out with a bad ass air chisel. The new ones went in easy, no press needed. When I went to put the control arm in, it wouldn't go. Since the kit is for a WRX, the front mounting point for the control arm is bigger on the WRX. I had to grind 1/4" off the pin, and use the floor jack to get it up in there.

I didn't get to any of the bushings in the rear. The long bolt that holds the lateral links to the upright would not budge even with a 1000 ft/lb snap-on impact. Next week I'll bring my car to school and put some heat on it with the acetaline.

The Energy Suspension kit wasn't as comprehensive as I thought it would be. It came with bushings for the front control arms, swaybars, endlinks, trailing arms, and shifter, which I believe is different. I had to buy bushings for the rear lateral links, differential support, steering rack, transmission crossmember, and of course, strut tops and engine/tranny mounts.

I guess there was a little confusion on my order from Teague's so I didn't get the adjustable Whiteline rear bar. Not a big deal. I still need to make my endlinks, and box in the swaybar mounts with the welder, and get the rear lateral links in before I can think about putting in a rear bar. So yeah, I still have a decent amount of work to do on the suspension. That and my brakes need to be bled a bunch more.

Now for the pics...

She looks alot meaner in person.

Going from old mushy '93 suspension is such a big change, its hard to quantify it. I do like how they feel. Considerably stiffer, but not harsh. The Koni coilovers my friend has on his integra are alot stiffer. When I get the swaybars and the rest of the bushings in, along with summer tires, I'll know what she'll do. Right now with teh Pirelli Winter Carving tires, 205-55-16, it does pretty good in the corners, but Ican feel the softness of the tires. They rip in 6" of snow we just got, though :twisted:
→Dan

piddster34 at h0tma1l d0t c0m
magicmike
Fifth Gear

Post by magicmike »

I love the wheels but damn they sho are bitched up!
-Mike

2011 Infiniti G37x Sedan - Current
2007 Ducati 800ss - Current
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (White)
1994 Subaru Legacy Sport Wagon (Silver)
2003 Infiniri G35
1998 Infiniti I30t
1995 Honda Civic DX
1987 Subaru GL Wagon
1987 Subaru Loyale
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

beauty! glad to hear the install went OK.
-Jason Grahn
azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

are thoes full coilovers or just sleves
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

bad boy azn! Do a search for how much i love to talk about those damn sleeves.

cliffs: FULL coilovers, baby!
-Jason Grahn
Subaru_Nation555
Third Gear

Post by Subaru_Nation555 »

cool, how do the brakes feel?
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

They are the full coilover setup, H&R. I didn't take pics with the wheels off, and I should have. I don't believe in doing shit half-assed.

The brakes feel solid except I need to do some more bleeding, because there is still air in the system, I can feel it. I stopped at Archer today and got some decent fluid. I was looking for some ATe, but they talked me out of it, and the Motul. They said the hardcore brake fluids absorb water so fast that they aren't worth the time, money, and effort. They change the brake fluid on their serous cars each day of use, and the top end stuff has a short lifespan. So I got the Castrol LMA or some shit, as I'm wasted right now(3:33 am 1-1-06). :smt101

The pads had decent bite this morning at 25-30degrees F, and I didn't pay much more notice. They make more noise at full stop, when everything locks up, like each pad.

When I get the SS rear setup with decent pads, I'll know what is really going on. Right now, I don;t feel a bias problem. My rear stock rotors are ugly, with pad outlines covering every square inch. So they need attension.

I do like the look with the wheels, but they are superheavy, like 22-25 lb/wheel. This summer I'll pick up a set of Gram Lights. Ray's, mmmmmmmmm.

I hope these dampners hold up to serious abuse, like getting friendly with the bumpstops.
→Dan

azn2nr
Fifth Gear

Post by azn2nr »

sorry, its just last i checked hnr coilovers are money. and i just find it odd that you'd have to use stock style though hardened topmounts when you could get something like tien flex that has pillowballs and camber adjustments.

just me, but if i had coilovers, first thing id do is get it on the flor. but im just a ricer like that
-jason
[quote="Scoobyniteowl"] Chasin' @$$ is a great form of exercise and if you do get any, then that is more exercise[/quote]
JasonGrahn
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by JasonGrahn »

azn2nr wrote:just a ricer like that
-Jason Grahn
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

I'd drop it a little more, but Duluth roads and winter put a little damper on that idea. That and the 55 series tire makes it a little cazy in the wheelwell.

I don't know if I want to get 17's this summer. My inner ricer wants to, but my kidneys steer me towards the 16's. :smt026
→Dan

BAC5.2

Post by BAC5.2 »

Motul RBF600 is better fluid than ATE, but it absorbs moisture more readily (so I've experienced).

ATE fluid is Stock in Porsche's, so I'd trust that more than some guy.

Castrol's Super Pimp stuff needs to be changed monthly, and it costs to the tune of $80 per liter.
2009 Outback 2.5XT. 5MT. Satin White Pearl.
2009 Impreza 2.5i Premium. Blue.

[quote="scottzg"]...I'm not a fan of the vagina...[/quote][quote="evolutionmovement"]This will all go much easier if people stop doubting me.[/quote]
93forestpearl
Fifth Gear

Post by 93forestpearl »

damn... $80 a liter?

I guess I'll see how this stuff holds up and who knows. I didn't know ATE was used as an oem.
→Dan