PCV system full of oil

Heads, valves, pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc...

Moderators: Helpinators, Moderators

entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

PCV system full of oil

Post by entirelyturbo »

Several of my PCV hoses, including the valve, is covered in oil residue. I replaced the valve just b/c they're cheap, but I want to know why it's doing this...

An engine builder at my workplace told me that it is a bottom-end problem, piston rings perhaps. I don't think it's that drastic. Anyone else have any ideas?

I would think something as simple as too much oil could cause that...I noticed one time after an oil change that there was too much in it. That's why I do it myself now. :)
2000 Subaru Legacy B4 RSK

"Der Wahnsinn ist nur eine schmale Brücke/die Ufer sind Vernunft und Trieb"

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
vrg3
Vikash

Post by vrg3 »

I thought that was normal. Isn't it?
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

it's relatively normal with subies because the valve covers are on the side, so you will get more oil mist most likely.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
1990 Legacy (AWD, 6MT, & EJ22T Swap)
2020 Outback Limted XT

If you need to get a hold of me please email me rather then pm
scoobiedoo22
First Gear

Post by scoobiedoo22 »

Agree, this is normal considering you have higher miles on you car. I replaced the PCV valve and valve cover gaskets when I had my engine yanked to replace the clutch, I also cleaned the PCV hoses, valve covers, and IAC valve with carb/parts cleaner to help remove some of the gunk (which there was quite a bit). john k
1991 Legacy SS 5-Speed

1999 Impreza 2.5RS Coupe
mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

This is a normal occurance on the turbo motors. I have a oil separator in the intake system on my car and a company that I am associated with is building a unit for the turbo Legacy. This causes an additional problem on the cars with intercoolers as the oil film is a an insulator and decreases the effficiancy of the IC. I will see how he is coming with this project and let you know about it.
AL(CO)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

scoobiedoo22 wrote:IAC valve with carb/parts cleaner
What did you do right that I did wrong? I did the same thing and ruined my valve...

*Formerly DerFahrer*

@entirelyturbo on social media, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok
Aaron's ej22t
Second Gear

Post by Aaron's ej22t »

Mile hi, keep us posted on the progress of the oil catch can for the bc legacy turbo. please post pics if possible and give prices too. :o
92 Legacy Turbo \ 5MT \ Silver
LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

This is not normal for any subaru. The PCV system covered in oil because your most likely using an aftermarket PCV valve, Some of these valves that are being sold have the ability to pump most of the oil out of the engine. My father who works as a technician at a Subaru delearship has seen many many engines doing this, some even destroyed. Just get an actual Subaru PCV valve is what he recommends.

Mark
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

how are aftermarket & OEM ones different?
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

LegacyT
Fourth Gear

Post by LegacyT »

their identical, but just don't work. Even using your original factory one would work just fine. As my father has seen them break very *very* rarely. The problem is that people change them as often as they would on american cars especially older ones, where it was the norm to replace them at every tune-up. If you don't have the factory part still around then just get an OEM part and your problems will stop, unless there is a more serious bottom end problem.

Mark,
1991 Turbo Sedan, Aspen White 5MT, Sold RIP
1994 Turbo Sedan, Crimson Pearl 5MT, from British Columbia-no rust!
Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

well I need to get some other gaskets and such.....so I guess I'll give the OEM one a shot......assuming it isn't too much....just for kicks & giggles.
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT

mile hi
First Gear

Post by mile hi »

Let me know also Josh as I think the problem is that there is an oil mist in the valve covers and this travels up into the vent system and the intake. I have never seen a Turbo Legacy that didn't have some oil in the vent system. But..... Look at it this way the turbo will never rust :lol:
Al(CO)
entirelyturbo
quasi-mod-o
quasi-mod-o

Post by entirelyturbo »

Okay, as discussed, my engine lost a lot of oil somewhere, and it has yet to be identified. I changed my oil last night, and have been keeping an eye on it regularly. Nothing seems out of the ordinary...

But I did remember this thread, and decided to pull my PCV hoses off again. They were again covered in oil all the way through, as was the valve. So I took Mark's advice and bought a OEM PCV valve from the dealer. I took all the PCV hoses off and sprayed them out with brake cleaner to remove all the oil residue, then reinstalled them with the new PCV valve. I did notice a very slight improvement in the idle afterwards...

That was Friday, and I pulled the top hose off again. There was a very slight bit of residue on the valve, it might have been leftover brake cleaner, not sure. But so far the hoses are bone dry, no oil.

So I guess what Mark was saying is that aftermarket PCV valves allow way too much intake vacuum to pull the air through the PCV system, and some oil too, for that matter. This might also explain the slight idle improvement, although that doesn't quite make sense since the PCV system is closed to the atmosphere :?

Anyway, I too second the OEM PCV valve. Aftermarket ones pull too much vacuum.

*Formerly DerFahrer*

Legacy777
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Legacy777 »

you will have some oil in the pcv lines.....that's normal.....
Josh

surrealmirage.com/subaru
2020 Outback Limted XT